Hy-Vee Dollar Fresh

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Hy-Vee-coming-to-several-eastern-Iowa-times-567330701.html

Not sure if there's a thread on it yet, but hy vee is buying up shuttered shopko stores in small towns and turning them into smaller scale versions of the real deal. Not really a big deal, but kind of a cool idea to get a footprint in smaller communities. Im not a huge fan of the name, though, "dollar fresh". Not sure what the process was in deciding on a name, but seems like it would implicate these communities are getting a watered down version. Just call them Hy-Vee imo. Curious to see what others thoughts are

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not quite on topic but is "A helpful smile in every aisle" dead in Iowa too, or is it just in Minnesota that they can't find people who will be courteous and smile at their customers?

• Agree
Reactions: HawkJRP

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Hy-Vee-coming-to-several-eastern-Iowa-times-567330701.html

Not sure if there's a thread on it yet, but hy vee is buying up shuttered shopko stores in small towns and turning them into smaller scale versions of the real deal. Not really a big deal, but kind of a cool idea to get a footprint in smaller communities. Im not a huge fan of the name, though, "dollar fresh". Not sure what the process was in deciding on a name, but seems like it would implicate these communities are getting a watered down version. Just call them Hy-Vee imo. Curious to see what others thoughts are

The name "Hy-Vee" brings a certain expectation. They can't call these "Hy-Vee" if they don't have everything you'd expect there, meat counter, pharma, deli, etc., which these won't. Going for the cheap and healthy identity for these, makes sense.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I can't keep track of all of HyVee's brand variations. From a marketing standpoint the company seems to be flailing a bit in recent years.

I wonder whether "Dollar Fresh" is a play on the Dollar Generals and Dollar Trees and all these other stores taking over small towns.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Not quite on topic but is "A helpful smile in every aisle" dead in Iowa too, or is it just in Minnesota that they can't find people who will be courteous and smile at their customers?

It's pretty much changed to "a vertical smile in every aisle"

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't mind branding them a little differently than the big stores, but "dollar fresh" doesn't sound watered down, it makes it sound cheap. Like it's an outlet store.

I'm surprised towns that were big enough for Shopko didn't already have Hy-Vee's.
edit: After seeing the towns listing it makes sense. I was thinking about towns in my hometown's area.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can't keep track of all of HyVee's brand variations. From a marketing standpoint the company seems to be flailing a bit in recent years.

I wonder whether "Dollar Fresh" is a play on the Dollar Generals and Dollar Trees and all these other stores taking over small towns.

I'd actually say the opposite is true. Continuing to launch successful sub-brands usually indicates they're operating from a position of strength with the overarching brand.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The name "Hy-Vee" brings a certain expectation. They can't call these "Hy-Vee" if they don't have everything you'd expect there, meat counter, pharma, deli, etc., which these won't. Going for the cheap and healthy identity for these, makes sense.

I agree with the first half of this. When I walk into a Casey's and they don't have pizza, that makes me super sad/mad. Like the Casey's on Merle Hay near I80.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I suppose that makes sense. I've heard but haven't had confirmed from a credible source that these will have meat depts and pharmacies, but not food service, ie market grille, Chinese, Italian, hickory house etc

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd actually say the opposite is true. Continuing to launch successful sub-brands usually indicates they're operating from a position of strength with the overarching brand.
They used to, maybe still do, operate smaller versions of their stores called hy vee drug town. There was one in Mason city close to where I grew up. Marshalltown had one too. No idea if these still exist, but why not just use that name? Or maybe drug towns will all switch to the new name? Either way, seems like consistency would be better from a brand standpoint

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I suppose that makes sense. I've heard but haven't had confirmed from a credible source that these will have meat depts and pharmacies, but not food service, ie market grille, Chinese, Italian, hickory house etc

I don't really understand the distinction then. If you go to smaller towns that have had Hy-Vee's forever, they have meat, pharm, bakery, and usually an old school deli type thing that does the breakfast/fried chicken/etc. I guess I don't understand how Dollar Fresh would be different than the one I worked in High School.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Are the Market Grille's a strength? That's kind of a sub-brand right?
IMO HyVee swung and missed on those.
A lot have failed and either closed or rebranded. Not sure how they're doing in other eastern Iowa locations, but in dubuque, all 3 stores now have what is called market grill Express. Basically it's the old cafe format, you get your food from the buffet, pay a cashier, and grab a table, except there is still a bar with a really watered down menu of what you could previously order at the full version. No more wait staff

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don't mind branding them a little differently than the big stores, but "dollar fresh" doesn't sound watered down, it makes it sound cheap. Like it's an outlet store.

I'm surprised towns that were big enough for Shopko didn't already have Hy-Vee's.
edit: After seeing the towns listing it makes sense. I was thinking about towns in my hometown's area.

Well, maybe that's what the word "Dollar" in the name is meant to do - manage people's expectations. People already have associations with it. I don't think most dollar stores are known for their high quality or fresh food so this is a pretty low bar to clear for HyVee.

I'm sure HyVee is doing just fine overall, but I'd dispute that all of these sub-brands have been a success. The clothing thing has just been weird. The massive bet on Market Grilles that they've scaled back on - while going all-in on Mark Wahlberg which would seem to be a direct competitor. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Launching sub-brands is probably a healthy sign. Scaling back, changing, re-launching and whatever else HyVee has done in recent years is a sign they haven't figured it out yet. Which, like I said, is probably not a big deal for HyVee's bottom line but it's confusing to consumers.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They used to, maybe still do, operate smaller versions of their stores called hy vee drug town. There was one in Mason city close to where I grew up. Marshalltown had one too. No idea if these still exist, but why not just use that name? Or maybe drug towns will all switch to the new name? Either way, seems like consistency would be better from a brand standpoint
Ames still has one in operation.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm sure HyVee is doing just fine overall, but I'd dispute that all of these sub-brands have been a success. The clothing thing has just been weird.
The clothing is weird but not as annoying as the bath bomb area.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Jer and urb1

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
some more detail, including updates on the Helpful Smile:

https://www.perishablenews.com/reta...llar-fresh-locations-to-six-iowa-communities/
Dollar Fresh locations are designed to offer customers in smaller communities a fresh, new product selection at low prices. Customers will find a full selection of grocery items, a bakery section with a full range of fresh-baked items, a dollar section, a Wall of Value, ready-to-eat meal offerings and other services.

“As we continue to innovate, we’re taking a look at the needs of our rural communities,” said Randy Edeker, Hy-Vee’s chairman of the board, CEO and president. “At our Dollar Fresh stores, our customers will be greeted with helpful smiles that deliver a great customer experience while also encountering a wide selection of quality products at low prices.”

I think a big part of these is also they took over the pharmacy services that ShopKo stores had - but more like a "small HyVee" with a pharmacy, instead of the old HyVee Drugstores that were like a weird useless Hallmark+Walgreens

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Are the Market Grille's a strength? That's kind of a sub-brand right?
IMO HyVee swung and missed on those.

Is it failing? What measure are you using to say they swung and missed? It might be, I have no idea. I didn't say every attempt at a new idea to expand the brand is going to be a winner.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Speaking of Hy Vee. I though that the 'That's Smart' brand was exclusive to Hy Vee. I was surprised to see a few 'That's Smart' items start popping up in my small town (population 1100) grocery store.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is it failing? What measure are you using to say they swung and missed? It might be, I have no idea. I didn't say every attempt at a new idea to expand the brand is going to be a winner.
Most Market Grille's I've seen look like a ghost town. Grandpa and Grandma's out there got pissed that the regular cafe's (where they didn't have to tip) got taken away from them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron