Marathon Runners Thread

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I signed up for the fight for air climb downtown, anyone done this?

I know its not a marathon or half, but Im looking for something just shake it up a bit.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It should be the opposite but I feel like the same pace I run on roads is a lot harder on the dreadmill.

I keep thinking I'll adjust and it'll get easier, but no luck. I wonder if you just tend to take really short quick strides? Because everything else tells me it should be a lot easier than running outdoors.

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
It should be the opposite but I feel like the same pace I run on roads is a lot harder on the dreadmill.
I’ve found that running form is super important to getting a productive workout on the treadmill. Landing flat on your feet and maintaining quick strides were the 2 big areas that I have focused on. I’m a lot more comfortable running on the treadmill now and don’t dread it anymore.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Bumping this for 2021.

Running Lincoln this weekend, my first full. Have done 4 halfs over the last 5 years.

Not going to lie, little nervous. Have followed Higdon intermediate almost to a T - missed one run i believe. Have put on about 550 miles and lost 25 pounds since Christmas, so finish or not i've already accomplished my end goal.

Runs 15-18 miles were 'fairly' easy at a 10minute pace, but 20 mile run was a killer. Only made it about 15 before some pretty killer cramps.

Anyone else running this weekend or plans for the summer?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Bumping this for 2021.

Running Lincoln this weekend, my first full. Have done 4 halfs over the last 5 years.

Not going to lie, little nervous. Have followed Higdon intermediate almost to a T - missed one run i believe. Have put on about 550 miles and lost 25 pounds since Christmas, so finish or not i've already accomplished my end goal.

Runs 15-18 miles were 'fairly' easy at a 10minute pace, but 20 mile run was a killer. Only made it about 15 before some pretty killer cramps.

Good luck, and nice work on training and health. I don’t have the courage to train for a full, afraid of injury.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Bumping this for 2021.

Good luck! First one is always nerve wrecking it seems. But will be a personal best no matter what for you. :) Just make sure not to start too fast and keep the pace you want to run.

I signed up for Chicago again, hurt my knee, and of course got selected... Running a bit again but not sure if I will get to a full or not this year. Have my first half at the start of June in Yellowstone.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Bumping this for 2021.

Lincoln is a great race, very well run. Going past the turnoff where the 1/2 finishes is always a gut check since they allow you to switch to the 1/2 at any time. The second half is a little more boring but finishing in the stadium is very cool.

Like interrobang said, start slow, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast. Trust your training and enjoy it!

• Agree
Reactions: interrobang

VWClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2017
I’ve run several halfs over the past 5 years and was training for a full when I tore my posterior tibial tendon in my ankle. Put me out of running for over a year and now I’m just struggling to get back into half marathon shape.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Lincoln is a great race, very well run. Going past the turnoff where the 1/2 finishes is always a gut check since they allow you to switch to the 1/2 at any time. The second half is a little more boring but finishing in the stadium is very cool.

Like interrobang said, start slow, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast. Trust your training and enjoy it!

They took it out of the stadium this year - covid related... but finishing nearby I think at their track facility.

Yeah not a fan of that turnoff... got to be pretty tempting to call it quits.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I ran a marathon to Marathon . . . Iowa that is. I did the inaugural run in 1996 and did not have a good race. It was my worst marathon of all the ones I have ran. I see they discontinued this race in 2017. The course was extremely flat and boring, back country roads between Storm Lake and Marathon and the runner pack so small you are out there all on your own with few to no other runners in sight. Grandma's in Minnesota is my favorite but I like Twin Cities too.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
They took it out of the stadium this year - covid related... but finishing nearby I think at their track facility.

Omaha full marathon back in '80s finished inside their Civic Arena. That was pretty nice since it was in the 20's outside that you could finish and then be warm immediately.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I ran a marathon to Marathon . . . Iowa that is. I did the inaugural run in 1996 and did not have a good race. It was my worst marathon of all the ones I have ran. I see they discontinued this race in 2017. The course was extremely flat and boring, back country roads between Storm Lake and Marathon and the runner pack so small you are out there all on your own with few to no other runners in sight. Grandma's in Minnesota is my favorite but I like Twin Cities too.
I ran the half marathon to Marathon in 2013. Very very boring. No shade either.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I ran the half marathon to Marathon in 2013. Very very boring. No shade either.
I vowed I would never go back after 1996. As stated above, it was their first year and they had people in charge who were not runners. You cross the finish line (in June, 80° out) so I asked for water. They told me, "it is only two blocks down". I was like, "You are shitting me, I just ran 26.2 miles and now you are going to make me walk two more blocks to get a drink of water". I sure hope they improved from that first year.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Bumping this for 2021.

The first (and only marathon) I ran involved me talking to myself while looking in a mirror in a hotel in Philly the night before, convincing myself that this wasn't the stupidest thing I'd ever attempted. Went pretty well with a 4:13 time. My longest run was 18 miles, and I probably missed on about 1/4 of my planned mileage towards the 3rd quarter of my training due to injury. You'll be fine.

Like everyone else said, start it easy, nothing new, and remember you are in for the long haul. You'll probably hit the wall, but everyone does and you should be able to fight through it. Nothing wrong with having to walk a little bit if you need to.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
They started a marathon in my home county a few years ago. Called the main to main. Run from one towns main street to the other before turning around and heading back. I believe they have stops at the 5k, 10k, and obviously one can stop at the halfway point. The first year only one person ran the full marathon, many did the shorter distances. A few more run the full distance each year. Last year they had a handful of people who had previously qualified for the Boston marathon run it. I think it is a Boston qualifier itself too. So if your into that sort of thing, and want to run a marathon without thousands of other people, here is a link to the website. It is August 21st this year. https://www.runguides.com/event/15439/main-to-main-marathon#:~:text=The Cedar River Complex Main,is the run for you.

Reactions: Clone83

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
When it comes to drinking, I am a sprinter and not a marathon man. I prefer to drink a beer in a couple of minutes and not nurse on it for ever. Mixed drinks, will slow the pace down a bit due to the ice in the drink. If you lose the blue mountains on a Coors light can before you finish the beer, you are a marathon drinker.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

Hopefully, they'll get it back in the stadium at some time, pretty cool hearing your name announced in the stadium as you finish at the 50 with your image on the big screen.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Looking for some races this summer. Thinking of signing up for Twin Cities again if I don’t get into Boston. I’ve done TC, Green Bay, and Milwaukee, and Grandma’s and it’s my favorite.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm planning on Dam to DSM and IMT Des Moines Marathon. Not sure if I'll pick up another one this fall.
I've done Boston, Chicago, Grandma's and many others. Still like Des Moines the best. Not super crowded, just enough hills to be challenging, really good spectator support, good aid stations and fun finish area. Not to mention a lot cheaper for locals.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Bumping this for 2021.

As others have said, don't go out too fast. Mile 20 will hit you like a ton of bricks if you do. Might anyway:) Just gut it out and no matter how bad you feel, finish and be proud. The first couple hours after you finish you will swear you won't run another one but by the next day (maybe two) you'll be planning your next.