Celebrity Deaths

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
While I'm a sports fanatic I also find very little personal attachment to athletes specifically. It sucks for any industry to lose a prominent figure that represents excellence in that area. A death of such a figure is just one of those pivotal moments that marks a point in time in our collective memories, and for that reason the death of Kobe is powerful. Celebrity or not, sending my wishes of healing for the loss of a child for several parents and the loss of a parent for so many young children yesterday.

I guess a celebrity death that did move the emotional meter for me would have to be Adam Yauch/MCA. Beastie Boys have been an everyday part of my life since about the age of 9 when Check Your Head was one of the first albums I "purchased" - as part of my introductory set of Compact Discs from Columbia House record club.

I know when and where i was for each new album they dropped, and a Beasties artwork has donned my bedroom or office walls ever since I discovered the band. Yauch's artistic endeavors (art, music, video production) is the largest influence that brought me into a design degree from ISU, and a career in digital media. Away from the mic he was an incredible, charitable figure for human rights and just lived by example to strive for excellence in all that you do. An awesome role model through and through.

Robin Williams is close second for many the same reasons.

Also, once again: f$ck cancer, f$ck mental illness.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I guess a celebrity death that did move the emotional meter for me would have to be Adam Yauch/MCA. Beastie Boys have been an everyday part of my life since about the age of 9 when Check Your Head was one of the first albums I "purchased" - as part of my introductory set of Compact Discs from Columbia House record club.

I know when and where i was for each new album they dropped, and a Beasties artwork has donned my bedroom or office walls ever since I discovered the band. Yauch's artistic endeavors (art, music, video production) is the largest influence that brought me into a design degree from ISU, and a career in digital media. Away from the mic he was an incredible, charitable figure for human rights and just lived by example to strive for excellence in all that you do. An awesome role model through and through.

I'm an enormous fan of Beasties, and have been a fan in some degree since I was young and "Licensed to Ill" came out. Yauch was always my favorite. I had the same type of cancer as MCA twice (which is incredibly, incredibly rare), and so his death was more personal to me than most celebrity deaths.

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneTJS

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Celebrity deaths, particularly ones of young people like Kobe, come with a high shock factor and smack the general public right in the face as it pertains to coming to terms with one's own mortality.

On a related note, I miss Neil Peart.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Even remember going to the memorial at Hilton when some of the members of the cross country team were killed in a plane crash.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The celebrity death I've felt most affected by was Robin Williams, just because through his comedy he brought direct joy to so many people, yet with his suicide it became apparent he wasn't happy with his own life for one reason or another. It's a sobering thought that someone so talented, who spent their entire career making people laugh and feel good, wasn't right with himself at the end.

Whenever I heard Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" I always thought of Robin. He could make everyone laugh....and yet inside he fought so many demons.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Most of my heroes were sports figures, and the deaths that hit me the hardest were guys like Bart Starr. I was lucky enough to meet him personally when I was in junior high, and I remember he made an indelible impression on me as a gentleman, and someone who was not only a great famous athlete, but approachable.

These types of people, who are role models in the truest sense, are those whose death impact me the most.

Reactions: Angie

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I guess I am more shocked when a celebrity dies than I am when I read about a "normal" person dying...but no more sad. We're all just people.

here's what I do know...what's important to me isn't to you, etc...so I'm respectful of those who may have been touched by a celebrity...I don't know your journey and if Kobe's words or actions lifted you up at a time, that's your thing...I respect that. Not everyone has what I've been fortunate to have and maybe has had to look elsewhere for inspiration or a role model.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
With the recent sudden death of Kobe Bryant, I was wondering how CF handles celebrity deaths. Every person deals with death differently, and some celebrities do things that resonate more personally with us. Circumstances of the deaths come into play, as well as age.

Personally, I rarely get too affected by a famous person's death. I don't have the same connection that others do. Maybe if I had some personal story with someone it would be different, but otherwise I'm mostly detached. As a dad, I tend to get more empathetic towards the kids left behind than anything.

How do others on here react? Has there been a certain death that hit home more than others? Was there a reason?

The first and most powerful celebrity death I really recall was watching Christa McAuliffe perish during the Challenger disaster on tv during grade school. Our teacher absolutely broke down and was inconsolable. I can still picture the whole event clearly.

Couldn't care less...

Now when friends and co-workers have a family member die - be it aging parents or children taken too early - I'm super emotional even if I don't know the deceased.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I did just remember one that shook me to the core when I was younger. We were watching the game when Hank Gathers collapsed on the court. I was at that age where I was cocky and invincible, and seeing him collapse stopped my world for awhile. I legit cried when I watched Bo Kimble shoot that left-handed free throw honoring him.

Reactions: heitclone

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I never understood how people feel legit sadness when a celebrity would die when they have no real connection to that person.

I do understand it a bit more as yesterday definitely bummed me out with hearing the news about Kobe. I think that was the one celebrity death that has stuck the longest. Usually it’s just a “well that sucks” feeling, but I watched probably 4-5 hours of coverage on it yesterday and listened to people talk for a few more as well so it was definitely different.

I’m not big into music/movie scene so that would explain why I hadn’t felt sadness with many other celebrity deaths before. The only movie star death that garnered a more than a that sucks reaction would probably be Paul Walker. I had seen his whole Fast and the Furious series and a few of his other movies, so it hit me.

• Agree
Reactions: ZZZ

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
With the recent sudden death of Kobe Bryant, I was wondering how CF handles celebrity deaths. Every person deals with death differently, and some celebrities do things that resonate more personally with us. Circumstances of the deaths come into play, as well as age.

Personally, I rarely get too affected by a famous person's death. I don't have the same connection that others do. Maybe if I had some personal story with someone it would be different, but otherwise I'm mostly detached. As a dad, I tend to get more empathetic towards the kids left behind than anything.

How do others on here react? Has there been a certain death that hit home more than others? Was there a reason?

The first and most powerful celebrity death I really recall was watching Christa McAuliffe perish during the Challenger disaster on tv during grade school. Our teacher absolutely broke down and was inconsolable. I can still picture the whole event clearly.
I literally don't care more than other deaths. Kobe's remaining family is suffering the same as the families of the other victims of the crash. It sucks all around. When a young person dies, like Kobe's daughter, it affects me more than a famous adult.

I will say that when people nearly my exact same age die it will shake me up. That's just a morality facing reaction. Especially if they are "healthy" and then they are gone.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I guess I am more shocked when a celebrity dies than I am when I read about a "normal" person dying...but no more sad. We're all just people.

here's what I do know...what's important to me isn't to you, etc...so I'm respectful of those who may have been touched by a celebrity...I don't know your journey and if Kobe's words or actions lifted you up at a time, that's your thing...I respect that. Not everyone has what I've been fortunate to have and maybe has had to look elsewhere for inspiration or a role model.

These types of things are how I can understand being emotional about a celebrity death. Maybe it's something you and your dad or you and your kid used to bond over, and it's one more reminder that your kids are growing, parents are getting old, etc.

I don't understand people having this massive emotional reaction simply because they loved Kobe as a player, they loved an actor, musician, etc. I just really don't get it. Seeing these people on TV that are completely devastated and overwhelmingly saddened by the death of someone they do not know personally makes me wonder how they can possibly cope with the death of a person that is close to them.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sometimes it comes in phases. I saw Uncle Buck this weekend and for whatever reason, realized I still miss John Candy even though there's actually no reason to miss him.

Buddy Holly's death was over two decades before I was even born, but there's something still really eerie about how he went, and wondering what even the mere final seconds were like for him and the other musicians hits deeper than other even similar situations. Perhaps it's how it happened so late at night that nobody really knew what happened, or how the next day the scene was so gray and dreary from the Iowa winter and it looked like it was only fitting, or the timing of that being on the cusp of so many changes in our society over the following decade (60's).

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
My view is that death is undefeated, it's going to happen. I've also been accused of being a cold hearted ******* so there's that. I feel a sense of shock when a celebrity passes young, but usually only remember where I'm at when I hear the news. If I personally know a person, friend or family, it depends on the circumstances of their death on how I feel. Cancer, no fault accident, etc, I'm a wreck. Personal choices like drug overdose or suicide, I'll have a little sadness for those close to them, but ultimately it doesn't usually register on my emotion meter.

Reactions: Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the kicker on Kobe was the family aspect. I can't imagine the grief of going on with life having lost not only your partner but one of your children. I also think it's just cause to consider mortality and think about your own life. The stupid petty stuff that seems important in the moment but is so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

So when Kobe died, or any other celebrity, I'm not grief stricken. It's not some kind of debilitating thing as it would be if it were a friend or family member. But it causes some sadness and introspection.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Didn’t want to start a new thread but wanted to share this and echo it. Let’s give some of our guys this honor while they are still around to receive it.

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
This one with kobe and his daughter is affecting me for some reason. Just keep thinking about it. Normally when celebrities die, I read it and say to myself that is too bad, but this is just much different. Probably bc I saw kobe from his start in the NBA to the good person he has become after basketball.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
For me it's simple - if I am a fan of theirs it makes it harder. For example Dale Earnhardt and Chris Cornell. As a race fan Dale was my guy and I was watching the 500 when he crashed, that one hurt a lot. Chris Cornell, I loved his music and had just seen Sound Garden play live in Council Bluffs a few days before his death. As for Kobe, I was a fan he was prominent in my time and I loved that he went from High School to the NBA (I was also a Garnett fan) so it hurts too.

Then add in the sudden unexpectedness of the examples and it amplifies it. Had Dale, Chris or Kobe grown old and died of old age it wouldn't have hurt me because it's what is expected and happens.