Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What am I saying that is wrong? Purdy had a good year statistically, no doubt about. He just wasn't clutch, and that isn't even debatable. Or are you seriously trying to say he was clutch in '19 for ISU?

Purdy has been clutch his entire career at Iowa State. The only game he wasn't was Oklahoma State this year. 1 time not being clutch out of 22 games is pretty damn impressive

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Here's my response to everyone, and it might be a little emotional considering the situation with Kobe Bryant, who I absolutely admired growing up..

I want to be more positive towards not only the team I root for, but for our rival as well. I'm done ragging on Iowa and their players. I'm not going to root for them, but I'm done being so negative about them. For my own team, I'm going to complain less and cheer more. Im going to watch and enjoy the game of basketball. It's my favorite sport, always has been.

I also want to stop comparing players from both Iowa State and Iowa, rather discuss each player individually. There's no reason to compare the players because every one of them is different and is in a different situation. We devalue them when comparing them in my opinion. I think we all, including me, need to remember that these guys are not just a means to happiness on a random weeknight or a Saturday afternoon. They're kids who are putting a s*** load of time into their sport. They're humans. They make mistakes, they miss shots, they have bad games.

I just feel like we're all hating on each other way too much and for what reason? Because we grew up liking a school in a different town who wears different colors? I am all fine with the rivalry because that is absolutely what makes sports amazing but I'm done with the blind rage and hatred towards Iowa. Life is short. I'm only 24 years old and hopefully have a full life ahead of me, but it could be gone in a second. I don't want to spend my time spewing dumb remarks towards Iowa fans or even Iowa State fans who I don't necessarily agree with.

I obviously know that some of you might not agree with me or think that I'm being over the top, but that's fine. It's just my opinion and how I'm going to carry myself from now on.

If the whole board takes this approach we are going to have more than one suicide to mourn.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Your takes aren't always bad, but this one about Bolton being a poor player is. He's a slightly shorter, slightly poorer shooting, yet slightly better defending version of Lindell Wigginton. He's only a sophomore, and he's already on equal footing as one of the highest ranked recruits in ISU history. He's young, so he's not going to always play clean and consistent. You're gonna take the bad with the good at this point. He's been a big key to our offense, without him defenses would suffocate the hell out of Haliburton and we would have nobody else on the roster to help facilitate offense.
I agree with you that your hand is forced and he has to play a lot of minutes and I don't necessarily think he's a poor overall player. I don't agree with CyTwins' over inflated opinion of Bolton though and I think it's going to be difficult to have success next year if he doesn't improve significantly and you lose Haliburton. His advanced analytics don't measure up to Wiggington (2018-2019) offensively or defensively. His PER is a little better than Wiggington's 2017-2018 season but less defensively. The "only a sophomore" argument is getting stale. He's now started 28 games in his career and played in 50+. He's nearing the midway point of his college career.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I agree with you that your hand is forced and he has to play a lot of minutes and I don't necessarily think he's a poor overall player. I don't agree with CyTwins' over inflated opinion of Bolton though and I think it's going to be difficult to have success next year if he doesn't improve significantly and you lose Haliburton. His advanced analytics don't measure up to Wiggington (2018-2019) offensively or defensively. His PER is a little better than Wiggington's 2017-2018 season but less defensively. The "only a sophomore" argument is getting stale. He's now started 28 games in his career and played in 50+. He's nearing the midway point of his college career.

Bolton has some skills, but he forces a lot of poor shots that drives his shooting percentages lower than they should be. That is fixable though. Just needs to work on his shot selection.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Bolton has some skills, but he forces a lot of poor shots that drives his shooting percentages lower than they should be. That is fixable though. Just needs to work on his shot selection.

You watch half of a game and you know about someone's shot selection? Lol

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
PER factors in defense though
PER only factors in blocks, steals and defensive rebounds. It's far more offensive oriented. Defensive win shares factor in the same 3 stats plus forced turnovers and forced misses that aren't captured in the box score.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
PER only factors in blocks, steals and defensive rebounds. It's far more offensive oriented. Defensive win shares factor in the same 3 stats plus forced turnovers and forced misses that aren't captured in the box score.

I'm aware of how the statistic works. If you don't think Bolton is good I don't know what to tell ya

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The "clutch" argument is beyond stupid.

But with that said, I think it's much harder to be "clutch" in football than basketball. Football relies on so many different factors out of your control. Does the line block? Does your receiver run the right route? Does your receiver make a play on the ball? Do they run after the catch? Is the right play called?

Basketball is one sport where I do think a singular person can take over a game late. Sure, it's a team game, and sure, you are reliant on your teammates. But an individual can absolutely take over.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The "clutch" argument is beyond stupid.

But with that said, I think it's much harder to be "clutch" in football than basketball. Football relies on so many different factors out of your control. Does the line block? Does your receiver run the right route? Does your receiver make a play on the ball? Do they run after the catch? Is the right play called?

Basketball is one sport where I do think a singular person can take over a game late. Sure, it's a team game, and sure, you are reliant on your teammates. But an individual can absolutely take over.

This. Look at what Purdy did in the 4th quarter vs Baylor. It was unreal but he wasn't "clutch" because our defense screwed up and gave up a game winning FG? Lol cmon