Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Neither one is a strong defender. Iowa plays a lot of zone which works well for them. ISU continues to allow Bolton to get exploited. Bolton is the double whammy....poor defense and inefficient offense.
Your takes aren't always bad, but this one about Bolton being a poor player is. He's a slightly shorter, slightly poorer shooting, yet slightly better defending version of Lindell Wigginton. He's only a sophomore, and he's already on equal footing as one of the highest ranked recruits in ISU history. He's young, so he's not going to always play clean and consistent. You're gonna take the bad with the good at this point. He's been a big key to our offense, without him defenses would suffocate the hell out of Haliburton and we would have nobody else on the roster to help facilitate offense.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Frederick is not a bad defender at all. As much as you watch you should know this. If he was the worst defender on our team we would be way way better.
I've watched a lot of Iowa basketball and I'd agree. I'm not sure who the worst defender would be.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Neither one is a strong defender. Iowa plays a lot of zone which works well for them. ISU continues to allow Bolton to get exploited. Bolton is the double whammy....poor defense and inefficient offense.

His TS% is 55%. How is that inefficient?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Frederick is not a bad defender at all. As much as you watch you should know this. If he was the worst defender on our team we would be way way better.
That zone hides a multitude of sins for Iowa defensively. To their credit, they have been doing quite well with the zone this year. They still give up a ton of points though.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He was bad overall vs top 45 defenses. 1-5 isn't good is it?

I mean if you wanna pick nits and move TCU to a good game column, be my guest. I'll move the Oklahama St. game to the bad game column as Purdy really pulled a Purdy in the game. Good stats, but cost his team the game with TO after TO.

Pick nits? He was 19-24 for 247 yards and 2 TD's passing plus had 12 carries for 102 yards and 2 TD's rushing vs TCU. He was phenomenal that game

So you think he was bad vs Oklahoma? He threw for 5 TD's and ran for another. Lol

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pick nits? He was 19-24 for 247 yards and 2 TD's passing plus had 12 carries for 102 yards and 2 TD's rushing vs TCU. He was phenomenal that game

So you think he was bad vs Oklahoma? He threw for 5 TD's and ran for another. Lol
The argument starts at "he was bad against Baylor, TCU, Iowa, and OU" and then transitions to "well he didn't complete that one pass that could've won the game".

If the argument was that Brock had situations this year where he played poorly / didn't make the play, that would be true. But blanketing entire games based off of a couple of situations would take away the things he did do well in those games.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
He has the worst defensive rating on the team
Use whatever numbers you want. I think he's a pretty good defender and one hell of a player overall. He's better than most hawk fans anticipated (including me) and only a RS Freshman. Should have a really good career.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Use whatever numbers you want. I think he's a pretty good defender and one hell of a player overall. He's better than most hawk fans anticipated (including me) and only a RS Freshman. Should have a really good career.

Bolton is a pretty good defender and one hell of a player overall. Not sure if this was the 2nd or 3rd time he got weekly hardware from the Big 12

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Yikes you're bad at this

What am I saying that is wrong? Purdy had a good year statistically, no doubt about. He just wasn't clutch, and that isn't even debatable. Or are you seriously trying to say he was clutch in '19 for ISU?

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Bolton is a pretty good defender and one hell of a player overall. Not sure if this was the 2nd or 3rd time he got weekly hardware from the Big 12
I'm not bashing Bolton. He is being asked to be your 2nd or sometimes even 1st scoring option. I think that's a lot to ask of him at this point. Fredrick is comfortably Iowa's 3rd option and that role seems to fit him perfectly. He has shown he is more than just a spot up shooter.

Reactions: Gitwitit