Home Budgeting

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
A place like Lending Club is a place people can look at for this type of alternative investments.

Has anyone had any experience with sites like Fundrise? Basically you buy into a group that invests in various real estate deals.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I've used Mint for about 8 years at this point and really like it. I got to nitty gritty spreadsheet level for stuff like wedding expenses and building a home but outside of that, I feel Mint does a good job.

My question is if you feel good where you are with stuff....what do you do next besides let it languish in a savings account? Like, what should you do after your own retirement and kid's 529. Did a CD but that's such little return. Guess we could just keep putting it into retirement but my work 401k has some ****** options.

I've posted this link before but for savings/investment advice I highly recommend:
https://www.bogleheads.org/

You can check out the wiki which gives a good overview of evaluating 401k and IRA options. And if you want to create an account and post your personal 401k options, people are generally happy to help wade through the different options and suggest an investment plan for you.

Reactions: cowgirl836

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Has anyone had any experience with sites like Fundrise? Basically you buy into a group that invests in various real estate deals.

I did that for a while. Put in a small amount, I think $1000. Left it there for about a year then sold my 'shares' of their funds. Saw a decent return, about 7% i think. I took my investment out because I was re-allocating our funds due to purchasing a home.

I'll probably look to re-invest in something like that again in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyientist

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I've posted this link before but for savings/investment advice I highly recommend:
https://www.bogleheads.org/

You can check out the wiki which gives a good overview of evaluating 401k and IRA options. And if you want to create an account and post your personal 401k options, people are generally happy to help wade through the different options and suggest an investment plan for you.

yep, really like their stuff! I had posted to a similar group a while ago and there was not much love for my options. My husband has some good ones though so maybe we should up his more.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Budgeter and "New" Budgeters:

What items and categories were you amazed that you were over spending at?

Too many HyVee Trips?, Too many salon trips, too may Starbucks trips, too much eating out? Too much for Cable/movie/streaming apps?, too much Car maintance?, Too many Target Runs? etc.

What you got?......

I searched transactions that had "pizza" in the title a few years back and realized I had spent nearly $3,000 on pizza delivery over the course of a year. We're a 2-person house but I am the SOLE pizza eater.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I searched transactions that had "pizza" in the title a few years back and realized I had spent nearly $3,000 on pizza delivery over the course of a year. We're a 2-person house but I am the SOLE pizza eater.

I hope you saved that $3,000 and invested in Caseys. :D

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So, I tried Mint out of all the options listed in this thread. It was intuitive and easy to use, until I discovered a fatal flaw...It wasn't able to pick up all of the transactions from my banking account, mainly my mortgage (kinda of a huge deal) and daughters tuition.

There may be other things it missed too, but that's the point, I don't want to spend time going line item by line item to see what was missed by Mint. So I canceled it.

I'm now thinking of using 'You Need A Budget'. Does anyone here have any opinion on using it?

I've had the same problem with Mint. I used it for a few years, but when we switched to a local bank, it constantly has problems linking my transactions. We would go weeks without it working.

I have switched over to YNAB. It's functional and easy to use, and doesn't have that issue linking like Mint does; at least not with my bank. It also has a feature where you can manually enter transactions as they occur, then, when they post to your account, it will automatically sync so that it doesn't double-count the transaction (it always asks first).

I will say, YNAB is a "zero base budget" system. So, just like Every Dollar, they want you to give every dollar a name and it's designed so that you're not spending money you don't have and that every dollar that comes in the door has a name and there's no "MISC" category. So, you have to get into a groove where when your paycheck comes in, you're allocating that to upcoming expenses, instead of labeling transactions to budget categories as they come in. YNAB does categorization, but you're budgeting money you already have, not looking at money you've already spent. The idea is that this way, you realize ahead of time if the budget is going to be blown and you can adjust on the fly.

The challenge I've had with it (and someone tell me how I'm doing this wrong) is that my first paycheck of the month (I'm paid weekly) is 100% used up by the mortgage. So, I'm perpetually behind on my budget because I have to pay bills, buy groceries, gas, etc that first week as well, but according to YNAB I don't really have the funds for it. So, I've developed a workaround that seems to be working for me (too hard to explain on here). I also use a spreadsheet on the side just to keep me honest and help me understand where we are frequently blowing our budget.

TLDR; used mint for a while, wouldn't link to my accounts, so I'm using YNAB but still getting used to it.

Reactions: helechopper

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Budgeter and "New" Budgeters:

What items and categories were you amazed that you were over spending at?

Too many HyVee Trips?, Too many salon trips, too may Starbucks trips, too much eating out? Too much for Cable/movie/streaming apps?, too much Car maintance?, Too many Target Runs? etc.

What you got?......

Target and Hyvee make up probably 80% of all our expenses. We are a family of two adults, one small child, and an infant. We frequently spend $1000 a month on groceries. That always seemed insane to me and then I looked into the data. We did one big HyVee trip a week for our groceries on the weekends. But then, there were an average of 3 more trips to HyVee during the week for misc items. Of course that's three more opportunities for impulse buys. I've tried my best to limit those, but we still have multiple trips to HyVee every week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you’re looking for non traditional investments canned goods and shotguns have been steady earners

I'm gonna be the guy who if 'that day' comes, will have a good plan for where I want to go, and bring enough supplies to at least tide me over for a few days, but will forget something like, say, water.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
yep, really like their stuff! I had posted to a similar group a while ago and there was not much love for my options. My husband has some good ones though so maybe we should up his more.

and literally today I get noticed my work plan is being modified and the only two Vanguard options I had are being removed o_O

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

tenor.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This is my method, but usually by about August I realize my bank account is overdrawn and I have to pay extra fees and tap the emergency fund. Still beats budgeting though.
If you're always judging the necessity of your purchases budgeting isn't necessary assuming you can do basic adding and subtraction with reasonable memory capabilities.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
BUMP

Anyone on CF a frequent user of YNAB? I tried it and couldn't keep up with the method. So I switched to Mint. Now I'm realizing that Mint is too focused on the past. I'm considering switching back to YNAB, but need some help on how to make it successful.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Excel and simple math. Assets and Liabilities. Then a cashflow or expense section to know what each month is going to be like. I also got to the point where I am projecting Federal income payments needed to get to 0 or close to 0.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Oh this was just a bump, my bad. In that case, save some aside for 20 inch rims, subwoofers, and neck tattoos.

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
Read the book "Goodbye Things" You will really see the necessity's in life :)
Also spreadsheets are simple and easy way to keep track of your expenses.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron