Kobe Bryant is dead

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Kobe Bryant brought his daughter here (Cashmere, WA) just a couple weeks ago to watch the No. 2 girls recruit play. They developed a relationship during one of his camps and he followed through on a promise to come watch one of her games. The fact that his daughter was on board is just heartbreaking.

https://www.ncwlife.com/kobe-bryant-comes-to-cashmere/
His involvement in girls and women's basketball was pretty commendable, if low key.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/20...-during-womens-basketball-civil-war-game.html

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Why does suicide make it less shocking? Bith were sudden, both were a huge part of many people's lives, Robin Williams was the first celebrity death that hit me hard, Kobe's was the second. I know Im not the only one in that boat either.
As the other person said he made the choice to end his life. It is still tragic but it doesn’t hurt, at least for me, as much because he made the choice. With Kobe it was sudden and he was in no way supposed to die like that. It could have happened to you or me. I had just gotten to Hilton when I found out. I could have died in a car crash on my way there.

I don’t resonate as much with Williams because I’m not going to commit suicide.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Why does suicide make it less shocking? Bith were sudden, both were a huge part of many people's lives, Robin Williams was the first celebrity death that hit me hard, Kobe's was the second. I know Im not the only one in that boat either.

Everyone is different and I wouldn't tell anyone how they should feel dealing with death. I've had a 1st and a 2nd cousin commit suicide. Cousins I grew up with going to family events. We had a family friend pass suddenly in a car accident. That one hit me harder and has taken me longer to get over.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
As the other person said he made the choice to end his life. It is still tragic but it doesn’t hurt, at least for me, as much because he made the choice. With Kobe it was sudden and he was in no way supposed to die like that. It could have happened to you or me. I had just gotten to Hilton when I found out. I could have died in a car crash on my way there.

I don’t resonate as much with Williams because I’m not going to commit suicide.

honestly it probably resonates more with whoever a person “knew” more.

but I do want to correct something. People that commit suicide aren’t really making that choice or more clearly they aren’t making the choice rationally. And you aren’t going to commit suicide because you aren’t mentally ill. And unless you’ve been in that place mentally you can’t understand what happens.

Reactions: Cyientist

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Regardless of the way somebody dies is always sad, but tragic accidents are always more sad to me than a suicide. Especially when he leaves behind such a young family.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
honestly it probably resonates more with whoever a person “knew” more.

but I do want to correct something. People that commit suicide aren’t really making that choice or more clearly they aren’t making the choice rationally. And you aren’t going to commit suicide because you aren’t mentally ill. And unless you’ve been in that place mentally you can’t understand what happens.

I don't want to go down the road of "whose shocking death was worse" mostly because who the hell cares, but Robin Williams had been diagnosed with Parkinson's, which was not yet public, and Lewy body dementia (undiagnosed until the autopsy) which often includes increased anxiety, paranoia, and risk of suicide. I'm not sure if it's knowable what really caused him to take his life, but it certainly seems like it wasn't the typical depression or mental illness type of suicide.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and Angie

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I don't want to go down the road of "whose shocking death was worse" mostly because who the hell cares, but Robin Williams had been diagnosed with Parkinson's, which was not yet public, and Lewy body dementia (undiagnosed until the autopsy) which often includes increased anxiety, paranoia, and risk of suicide. I'm not sure if it's knowable what really caused him to take his life, but it certainly seems like it wasn't the typical depression or mental illness type of suicide.
Robin Williams was suffering, Kobe was not. Both gave great experiences to their fans. Sad both of them are gone. Hate to compare deaths because both had so much to offer this world and wish we still had both of them.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Robin Williams was suffering, Kobe was not. Both gave great experiences to their fans. Sad both of them are gone. Hate to compare deaths because both had so much to offer this world and wish we still had both of them.

The last celebrity death that had a real effect on me was Mac Miller, as I grew up listening to his music and was a big fan of his. But this one feels different. With Mac, or Robin Williams for that matter, you knew they were battling some demons. With Mac, you knew about the drug use. It was terrible to hear of their death, but maybe not altogether unexpected. This one is just so different.

L

LincolnWay187

Regardless of the way somebody dies is always sad, but tragic accidents are always more sad to me than a suicide. Especially when he leaves behind such a young family.
Robin williams was suffering and in pain with chronic illness, that's a big reason why he killed himself. People loved him as a person. Given Kobes record with the law, i cant say the two are even comparable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
i was younger when it happened but other sports stars that had similar fate that come to mind.. earnhardt? Nascar isn't as big as the NBA tho so may not have been as traumatic

There are definitely similarities there.

NASCAR was way bigger in the late 90s in a relative sense. It was probably second behind the NFL at the time. The NBA is probably in second place now, though.

Both came into the sport almost from birth. Both had very strong paternal influence over that, and neither of them had much for a formal education.

Both died relatively young and unexpectedly -- I know Kobe was done playing while Earnhardt was still racing, but both of them had decades ahead of them as the "elder statesman" and spokesman for the sport yet to come.

Both of them were perhaps the defining figure and hero that got them into the sport for an up-and-coming generation of competitors starting to come into their own.

Both were known as being homicidal in their levels of competitiveness on the field of competition but secretly generous and a sounding board for others off it.

Both died in selfless ways involved with their sport while being surpassed by younger protégés... Earnhardt after blocking for Michael Waltrip and Dale Jr., both driving cars he owned, and Kobe taking his teenage daughter to her game the day after LeBron passed him on the all-time scoring list, seemingly proud of him for doing it.

Both had a reputation for speaking the unvarnished truth.

Both personified their sport.

Heck, both personified a certain type of American manhood.

And even on the downside, both of their reputations survived accusations of sexual misconduct that at least included extramarital affairs (if not more).

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
The last celebrity death that had a real effect on me was Mac Miller, as I grew up listening to his music and was a big fan of his. But this one feels different. With Mac, or Robin Williams for that matter, you knew they were battling some demons. With Mac, you knew about the drug use. It was terrible to hear of their death, but maybe not altogether unexpected. This one is just so different.
I think that relatable piece is so big. I relate to Robin Williams on a mental health piece, but it never really hit me because I didn't grow up watching everything with him in it. Regarding Mac Miller, I never listened to his music. Kobe, I love basketball, I love competition, and I respect the hell out of out working everyone around you. That's why this one bothers me and I'm not even an NBA fan.

Regarding death, it's so much more expected when you know when someone is battling something, even if you say it's unexpected. It gives you that reason for why it occurred. When its an accident like Kobe's appears to be, it's straight shock because people don't have a reason that they can point at.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It sounds like the pilot was approved to take off in Orange County and it sounds like he was a very experienced one.

I’m sure it’s going to come down to weather but I’m guessing it isn’t a JFK Jr situation.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It sounds like the pilot was approved to take off in Orange County and it sounds like he was a very experienced one.

I’m sure it’s going to come down to weather but I’m guessing it isn’t a JFK Jr situation.

Even the best pilots can make mistakes.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Had anybody else ever hear the stories of how the Kobe/Shaq conflict and consensuality accusations were both sort of due to the same problem?

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
The pilot was legal to fly. To fly under normal visual flight rules in controlled airspace such as a towered airport you need 1000 feet ceilings and 3 miles visibility. You also need to stay 500 feet below/1000 feet above clouds and have horizontal separation of 2000 feet from clouds. If you don’t meet these requirements, which Kobe’s pilot did not, (Sounds like it was less than 3 miles visibility due to fog) the pilot can request to operate under special visual flight rules. This lowers cloud requirements to staying clear of clouds and only 1/2 mile visibility. Air traffic control will not offer this unless you specifically request it. While the pilot was most likely legal, it might not been the smartest decision with the weather conditions.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I think part of the shock is that he was relatively young. He really did not have to retire. He scored 60 points in his last game, he obviously still had tons of playing ability. I think he could still be playing today had he not retired and had the tragic accident not happened.