NFL: Super Bowl Saturday

Should the Super Bowl be played on Saturday?

• Yes

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 25.3%

• Total voters

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You don’t think people have other things planned for Saturday’s. More people work on Saturdays than Sundays. My niece had a dance competition on Saturday. You don’t think all that combined would hurt viewership?

All I can tell you is that I typically find my Sundays are every bit as busy as my Saturdays. I don't claim to know much about workforce stats but I'd guess that if you have to work on Saturday night odds are decent that you'll have to work Sunday night anyway. And kids sports and activities for sure aren't just limited to Saturdays anymore.

But people still find time to watch the game every year on Sunday night. Doesn't it make sense that if it was on a Saturday night those same people would all watch along with even more casual viewers who now wouldn't mind going out to a Super Bowl party since they don't have work the next day?

If you're going to bill it as a social event/party, then you might as well put it on a day that's more conducive to people who want to do that. Tough to party when you know work is coming early the next day.

But whatever. The NFL sure as hell knows how to make money, and if they thought there was more to be made by moving the game to Saturday then they would have by now.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't get the argument that having the game on Sunday brings in more casual fans. If you're not tuning in to watch the game due to other social events, I highly doubt it matters what day its on. I have a disturbingly high number of friends not interested in sports. Some will watch the Super Bowl for the commercials while others don't care at all. The timing of it doesn't come into play. If anything, the ones with young kids don't watch the whole game because the game ends around 9 pm on a school night.

Economically speaking, the host city has to get a financial boost by having the game on Sunday. People have an extra night's stay and spend a ton more.

Conversely, having the game on Saturday would likely be great for bars and venues that offer spaces for Super Bowl parties.

Also, the Monday after the Super Bowl is widely regarded as one of the least productive work days in the country. I would think that would greatly change if a move to Saturday occurred.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I cant remember the last time I watched the college NC game. Monday night games that get over after 11pm eastern arent must see tv.

Super Bowl would be more fun if it was Saturday and I could party with complete disregard for the next day.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I cant remember the last time I watched the college NC game. Monday night games that get over after 11pm eastern arent must see tv.

Super Bowl would be more fun if it was Saturday and I could party with complete disregard for the next day.

I tried a couple weeks ago for Clemson and LSU and I barely made it to halftime before calling it quits and going to bed. It's a weird time slot for the last game of the season.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If there was money to be made moving it to Saturday it would already be done.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm