***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Judge's agent sold way too cheap on that contract.

I think it’s low because he’s still in the early arbitration years. Your salary can only go up so much in arb so the Yankees actually have quite a bit of leverage.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Donaldson wasn't the signing I was hoping for entering this offseason but it's a reasonable consolation prize. Twins still need starting pitching long term certainly, and this season ideally. I truly think a trade is the way to go as while are some promising pitching prospects in the system nothing looks close to a sure thing as a starter.

• Agree
Reactions: JD4560

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Donaldson wasn't the signing I was hoping for entering this offseason but it's a reasonable consolation prize. Twins still need starting pitching long term certainly, and this season ideally. I truly think a trade is the way to go as while are some promising pitching prospects in the system nothing looks close to a sure thing as a starter.
It's a net positive for sure, although you kind of hate that you aren't going to have guaranteed production for 4 years that you are paying for. This trade certainly poses more long term risk, but simultaneously gives the Twins easily a Top 5 batting order in baseball going into 2020. My questions are 1) Can he stay healthy? and 2) Can he remain productive as he goes from his mid-late 30s during the life of his contract? Hope the answer to both questions are yes. I'm a little pissed we added another 100+ k's to our lineup of strikeout kings already, but at least JD takes his fair share of walks too.

Can't agree more that despite the acquisition, pitching still isn't where it needs to be to reach the World Series.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it’s low because he’s still in the early arbitration years. Your salary can only go up so much in arb so the Yankees actually have quite a bit of leverage.

This, he has two more arbitration years. Not a free agent till 2023. Same situation as Gary Sanchez who signed one year for $5M.

If he shows he can play a full season and be as productive as he was in 2017 he'll be in good shape for the next year. Arbitration for him this year might have been risky since he only played 102 games and 112 the year before.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Hall of Fame Voting (75% needed to get in):

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not a Yankee lover, nor a hater, but can someone explain to me how Jeter, gets 99.7% of the votes for the hall of fame, only left off one ballet. Other that he played for the yankees?

He was a great player, but all-time WAR 72.4, for 88 all time, only major awards he won was rookie of the year, and 5 time gold glove. Hell he was never the best SS on his team, that was Arod. 3400 hits over a 20 year career.

Put Jeter in Minnesota or Pittsburgh and his in the Hall of very good, but not great, put him in NY, and he gets 99% of the vote.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not a Yankee lover, nor a hater, but can someone explain to me how Jeter, gets 99.7% of the votes for the hall of fame, only left off one ballet. Other that he played for the yankees?

He was a great player, but all-time WAR 72.4, for 88 all time, only major awards he won was rookie of the year, and 5 time gold glove. Hell he was never the best SS on his team, that was Arod. 3400 hits over a 20 year career.

Put Jeter in Minnesota or Pittsburgh and his in the Hall of very good, but not great, put him in NY, and he gets 99% of the vote.

This had a lot to do with it and he was also a pretty clutch player in the Playoffs which he got a ton of opportunity to play in due to being on the Yankees.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wow lots of movement. LA definitely trying to buy this thing.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
EP-zWBLWkAAzI8A

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Unexpected move by the Twins. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It's hard to see them give up on Graterol for what amounts to a maybe slightly above average pitcher. Maybe there really were no options otherwise and this is what they could get, but it feels like a bit of a let down.