*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
As a resident Hawk “troll” that doesn’t post outside of the ISR forum I’m gonna give my 2 bits here.

Bolton is kind of an enigma to me. Kid is super talented. He can drive at will....

The hole in his game is decision making. He takes a lot of bad shots. His ability to get to the rim bails him out at times as he draws fouls.

There was a sequence around the midway point of the second half where you guys got within 7 or 8....he basically had the ball 2 straight possessions. 1 ended up in a turnover as he a drove and the other ended up with a foul as he drove. I don’t think Halliburton touched the ball eithet possesion. Both were critical possessions.

Halliburton actually signaled for the ball on one of them. He’s got to understand that he can create for others and specifically look for Halliburton when Halliburton is off the ball.

The kid has the talent to be a great one IMO but I think at this moment he’s a little too single dimensional in that he’s looking for his shot regardless if it’s the smart decision

It appears to me that Bolton needs to build some strength to help him finish. He can get in a position to do so, but he just isn't strong enough to finish through contact right now.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Jacobsen and Nixon seem like great kids and they play hard but they have no business starting or even playing alot of minutes right now. The reason for Lewis not playing has always been his defense. Noone plays defense on this team so let's play lewis for his offense.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Jacobsen and Nixon seem like great kids and they play hard but they have no business starting or even playing alot of minutes right now. The reason for Lewis not playing has always been his defense. Noone plays defense on this team so let's play lewis for his offense.
Lewis has to be in some sort of dog house with Prohm for whatever reason, because he should be getting a lot more minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It was a loss, but the team sure didn't quit today. Nice job of battling back, wish that 3 with 10 sec left would have went down sure would have made the game interesting. Another good showing by ornery Solo. That one rebound he just ripped out that guy's hands. A loss but this team is beginning to show some heart much better than the Dec. swoon. Time to beat the Bears Wed (yep I'm an optimist, and hopeful thinker).

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I realize everyone doesn't want to watch us play, but maybe if you don't you shouldn't be ******** about the team.

Jackson got hurt in the Oklahoma State game. He ran into Solo and hurt his face. Concussion protocol was negative and that is why he came back in the 2nd half of that game. However, watching him when he got hit he was definitely weaving around and I was shocked he didn't have a concussion. Not sure if he didn't play today because of the facial injury or if they diagnosed a concussion later.

I am not mad about the team, just frustrated that guys that should be making shots are not. Grill and Lewis are both shooters, just keep hoping that they will start making shots. Grill in particular is mentally crushed from the 3 point line.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am not mad about the team, just frustrated that guys that should be making shots are not. Grill and Lewis are both shooters, just keep hoping that they will start making shots. Grill in particular is mentally crushed from the 3 point line.

Hopefully a summer of putting up shots will cure these problems. Not to long ago people thought that Matt Thomas couldn't shoot the 3 maturity does wonders for some of these kids.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
this matt thomas frosh narrative is getting old. the only thing matt and caleb have in common in skin color.

"struggling" matt thomas still made 76 3's at 33% his first two years, on a team loaded with nba players and not many chances to get a ton of minutes. that changed with naz's injury.

matt made 14 3's his first 6 games of his career and had double figure scoring in five of them. and even during a season below his hyped recruiting rankings, he had another strong stretch midway his frosh year and made like 5 3's in the first half against KSU.

grill, tre, lewis, zion...they aren't even in matt's universe.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So we fought pretty hard and the same people who said we’d lose by 20 and wanted to see us not get blown out are complaining. Color me shocked.
Fair Point. Personally, I thought Auburn would blow Iowa State Out, and -8 was a lock bet. Glad I was wrong, and I have no complaints about the game. The Cyclones didn't quit, kept fighting and no shame in losing @ Auburn by 4. If we see that effort in every other game down the stretch, I'll be happy. Let's Go State!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Also, at some point, you gotta think about what there is left to play for, it could be that playing Lewis and Griffin more than these two is what's good for the program going forward. They both have to make strides if next year is going to be any better than this year, may as well throw them in the fire.

FWIW, I didn't have a huge problem with TL's minutes yesterday, he was banged up last week and still played 21 minutes. I would have liked to see him get a few more of the early minutes Grill got but with he played more than he has a lot of games this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am going to summarize this game paraphrasing a text from my brother --

"I feel like the Iowa announcer that made fun of Maishe Dailey only it's why can't we recruit guys that can hit wide-open three-pointers."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am going to summarize this game paraphrasing a text from my brother --

"I feel like the Iowa announcer that made fun of Maishe Dailey only it's why can't we recruit guys that can hit wide-open three-pointers."

And it doesn't sound like next year's 'great' class is of that mold either.