*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
You were right about Solo. He needs to be in there, but maybe when he didn’t start a couple games back that sparked him.

we won’t know cuase he was almost always stuck playing with Jacobson and Nixon. I think finally emphasizing that we need some other kind of production than just a bunch of chuckers might have also woken him up. For a few year I remember prohm specifically saying the bigs jobs were just to rebound and clean up offensive put backs he’s pretty new to being utilized

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
17% on the season as of right now. (19% coming into today)

He's made 5 all season: 3 in the first 2 games, 1 in the loss to seton hall, one in the loss to KU.

So 1 made in the last month. No wonder it seems like forever since he made one. 17% is really bad, especially when shooting the 3 is a lot of the reason you were recruited.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Grill should be last guy coming in. I like the guy but he isn't hitting shots and hasn't brought much of anything else. Hope he works this summer like Nick Weiler Babb and Thomas.

To be fair, Tre not being available was a big reason for Grill playing as much as he did. Nixon got a minutes bump too. Hard to say Tre would have hit the threes that Grill missed but if healthy I guess he would have been the one shooting them.
I do think Lewis and Zion made a case today to be the first wing off the bench. silver lining of the day.

Grill had a tough day no doubt but we need to remember he is a 3 star late riser who has a lot of talent but needs some development. I don't think Prohm was planning on him being a 3 pt sniper this year. Comparing Caleb to Matt Thomas is unfair as he was a top 60 4 star specifically recruited for his shot. They are different players.

Cyguy$

Jan 20, 2020
Prohm doesn’t understand the flow of the game, continuously calling timeouts to quiet down the crowd after we score. Pollard and some faculty members need to step off their Facebook preaching, about talkIng badly about the coaches or players. We pay to be entertained, and when Pollard hires (and then renews his contract ) somebody that does not bring us that entertainment, he needs to go.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
we won’t know cuase he was almost always stuck playing with Jacobson and Nixon. I think finally emphasizing that we need some other kind of production than just a bunch of chuckers might have also woken him up. For a few year I remember prohm specifically saying the bigs jobs were just to rebound and clean up offensive put backs he’s pretty new to being utilized
Isn’t it also pretty well accepted that coaching bigs is not Prohm’s forte?

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I won't fault him for doing that, because he's the only guy that will attempt a drive. He gets to the line a lot that way and make a lot of FT's, I'm perfectly cool with that. Necessary function of the team.
So instead of an assist every once and a while on his drives which might force the defense to have to think alittle you are ok with him shooting more than anyone on the team and being shut down like today once auburn figured out he has 0 intention of passing.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Nixon's effort on defense is hit or miss. Consistent players should start, inconsistent players should come off the bench. I think Prohm should make 2 changes for the Baylor game:

• Young and Lewis should start against Baylor. Not saying they are starters the rest of the year, but based upon the last couple weeks they have earned the chance to start. We should go with the following lineup:
    • Halliburton
    • Bolton
    • Lewis
    • Conditt
    • Young
  • Prohm should switch to a zone defense full time. We would have good length and it might help cover the shortcomings of our best offensive players. It might also cut down on fouls. As much as Prohm talks about defense. It looks like a lost cause, we just don't have guys who can defend on ball. Even a guy like Halliburton is just an average defender. He is elite at steals & blocking shots, but below average guarding on ball. Guys like Bolton, Nixon, Conditt and Lewis are liabilities playng man-to-man defense.

As bad as we shoot, we could still have a respectable record if our attention to detail was better. A rebound is better than going for every shot block as help defender. Putting a body on a guy when rebounding underneath or blocking out the shooter. Having hands up defending.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I don’t really know what to make of Bolton.
Like it or not, he is one of our best players.
He needs to play big minutes on this team. Best when he drives - does well for 100% right handed. Threes starting to drop occasionally, great free throw shooter. Plus, he is our second best ball handler. Quite a few low bars on this team, but he clears all of them. Another big point, one of only two guys that can create a shot. Would benefit from a better surrounding cast. I think we have a lack of B12 caliber talent on this team, but he is one of them.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So instead of an assist every once and a while on his drives which might force the defense to have to think alittle you are ok with him shooting more than anyone on the team and being shut down like today once auburn figured out he has 0 intention of passing.
When the guy averages 15 points, 3 assists, has high FT% and also is improving his 3%, yes I'd like him to get the ball and use it often. His aggressive offense in the lane is needed, since practically everyone else on the team is very conservative there.

"Shut down like today"? He put up 23. Leading the team. 9 of which was FTs.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When the guy averages 15 points, 3 assists, has high FT% and also is improving his 3%, yes I'd like him to get the ball and use it often. His aggressive offense in the lane is needed, since practically everyone else on the team is very conservative there.

"Shut down like today"? He put up 23. Leading the team. 9 of which was FTs.

At least one of Bolton or Nixon is probably going to have to shoot a lot. There aren’t that many shot creators on the team.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I won't fault him for doing that, because he's the only guy that will attempt a drive. He gets to the line a lot that way and make a lot of FT's, I'm perfectly cool with that. Necessary function of the team.
This is 100% correct. Bolton must be aggressive with the ball. On this team a real lack of creators.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
ISU is not making the NCAA's....probably not the NIT either.

The best thing to do is play the younger guys and see who can step up and be a Big 12 player and help lead the team next year. Prohm isn't stupid, he knows the pressure on him and a bad year next year and his seat is going to be warm.

Jacobson and Nixon need a lot less minutes...Jackson, Lewis, Griffen, and even Grill should be taking them. Have Young and Conditt rotate at the 5 and play small.

Last edited:

NENick

Feb 14, 2017

Shut down?
23 points and 2 turnovers in 31 minutes.
6 points in the final 2:08, including huge 3 that got the deficit to 5 with 58 seconds left.

Were you watching?