*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
That was his sophomore year.

He started at the beginning of his freshman year and was eventually benched due to his struggles. He also struggled his sophomore year. His stats for his freshman year and his sophomore year are almost identical. His improvement really came his junior year.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
At this point CSP's goal should be to reward hustle and toughness and screw any analytics and match-up decisions. Let's re-lay the foundation of this program with grit and toughness.
Every year Prohm talks about being a gritty, tough, defensive team but we end up with what you see. Kinda like how Matt Campbell preaches about running the ball but continues to throw the ball 30 plus times a game. I doubt things will change it's all lip service.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Again, Matt was still much better as a freshman than Grill has been. That is pretty much undeniable. Stats also back it up if you don’t remember. I’m not saying Grill can’t be good. Gun to my head though an I’d guess he doesn’t have near the career Thomas had. Could be a valuable bench guy down the road though.

Yeah, there is no rational argument that Grill is better as a freshman than Thomas. All you have to do is look at the production differential, on a wildly better team, to boot.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and Cyfanisu

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
So you want to keep playing the worst +/- guys? Nixon once again has the worst +/- on the team (-14 today). Against OU he was -6 in a win (only other in neg. numbers was Jacobson). Nixon was -26 against TTech! Is 12% from 3 pt in Big 12 and not a defensive stopper as advertised. Jacobson and Nixon starting is why they fall behind at the beginning of games.
my post agreed with you....I was saying that's what Prohm will probably do.

Reactions: pdxclone

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Grill is a better freshman version of MT to me. Looks like he's taking good shots and his form looks solid. Like so many, just needs some to fall like Tre to get going.
Grill (not counting today's stats in which he scored 0 points and missed all 4 shots): 27.9 fg percentage. 17.2 3pt percentage. 57.1 ft percentage. 1.9 ppg

Matt thomas as a freshman : 36.7 fg percentage. 33.6 3pt percentage. 66.7 ft percentage. 5.5 ppg

So nothing close to a struggling freshman matt thomas. Matt also got more rebounds and assists.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It’s funny you remove solo from the starting lineup.. and the none starters thrive.. solo isn’t the problem.. at this point in the season even a half brain coach should know the best lineup.. I’ll give you a hint prohm, it doesn’t involve Jacobson or Nixon most people knew this a month ago why is the guy that gets paid to know not getting it.

I have never seen a coach at ISU struggle to figure out the best lineup or play style for his team in the way Prohm has. It was even an issue in our better seasons under him.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Grill should be last guy coming in. I like the guy but he isn't hitting shots and hasn't brought much of anything else. Hope he works this summer like Nick Weiler Babb and Thomas.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
My preferred lineup going forward:
Bolton / Jackson
Haliburton / Nixon
Griffen / Grill
Lewis / Jacobsen
Young / Conditt

Conditt being the only bench players that should get more than 5-10 minutes per game. Either Bolton or Haliburton on the floor at all times. Nixon has a red light from 3 unless it is a kickout.
Refreshing to see Coach Prohm keep these guys in last half of the game. They didn't take dumb shots and battled. I would like to see how they do as starters.

Cyguy$

Jan 20, 2020
2 games in a row with Solo being a legitimate post presence. He definitely deserves his starting spot back.
He, Lewis and Griffin provided 29 points off the bench.
The only player all year that has played consistently well is Solo. Leeis is not a bench player on this team, but Prohm for some reason, likes Nixon who is the worst shot on the team. Nixon and Jacobson are not starters. Prohm cannot recognize his best lineup each year, until it’s too late. Pollard made a horrible decision renewing Prohm’s contract. Bring in T.J. for an interview, and let’s get back to a free flowing ruining game. Pollard can help pay for the buy out.

Cyguy$

Jan 20, 2020
I give Bolton somewhat of a pass being in foul trouble all game. But Nixon needs to sit. Even the ESPN announcer called him out regarding his poor defensive effort.
I fear that Bolton recognizes that we have lost the season, and he is becoming a ball hog trying to up his stats. He ignores Halliburton And waves him off every chance he gets in the second half of games.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
It’s funny you remove solo from the starting lineup.. and the none starters thrive.. solo isn’t the problem.. at this point in the season even a half brain coach should know the best lineup.. I’ll give you a hint prohm, it doesn’t involve Jacobson or Nixon most people knew this a month ago why is the guy that gets paid to know not getting it.
You were right about Solo. He needs to be in there, but maybe when he didn’t start a couple games back that sparked him.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I fear that Bolton recognizes that we have lost the season, and he is becoming a ball hog trying to up his stats. He ignores Halliburton And waves him off every chance he gets in the second half of games.
And drives into crowd after crowd with out kicking it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclad

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Refreshing to see Coach Prohm keep these guys in last half of the game. They didn't take dumb shots and battled. I would like to see how they do as starters.
The only reason Prohm played Lewis today was bc Tre Jackson was out. Otherwise we would not have of seen much, if any, of Lewis who was one of the best ISU players out there.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
The only player all year that has played consistently well is Solo. Leeis is not a bench player on this team, but Prohm for some reason, likes Nixon who is the worst shot on the team. Nixon and Jacobson are not starters. Prohm cannot recognize his best lineup each year, until it’s too late. Pollard made a horrible decision renewing Prohm’s contract. Bring in T.J. for an interview, and let’s get back to a free flowing ruining game. Pollard can help pay for the buy out.
While I agree Solo has played consistently well, the projected lottery pick on the team has something to say about Solo being the only one with consistency.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The only thing Nixon is good for is defense, but half the time he's also asleep on defense too. It's like he plays hard when he feels like it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lewis misses another wide open crucial 3. I'm not trying to diss him. Just pointing out he's not the savior so many are thinking he is.

He is not Jake Sullivan from 3, but he gave the offense a pretty good spark. He must have had 3 put backs in the second half. Defense is still not good, but playing Grill, who must be 3 for 32 from 3 this year, is probably something that at least gives you a chance. There are only so many players on the bench, and a lot of them have proven they can't score. Got to have someone that can take it to the basket and make a 3, if it is open.