Re-al Mitchell to Transfer

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
After the way last season played out, I would have been more surprised had he stayed. I do think the staff mishandled this a bit. For all Campbell's talk of getting Mitchell involved, the sum total (outside of garbage time against ULM) was what, a handful of plays? Our offense certainly could have used another dimension or wrinkle here or there.

That said, I'm not sure a more prominent role in the offense would have changed the outcome here anyway. Even if Mitchell were on the field for, to be generous, 25% of the snaps at one position or another, that still isn't the same as being a starting QB. And if that's his dream, he's unlikely to realize it in Ames. This was probably always going to be irreconcilable.

Good luck to him and I hope he blows up wherever he lands.

• Agree
Reactions: PsychedCy09

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The only time he really could of been used this season was the KSU game and only because the crazy winds made passing almost impossible You generally have to be careful not to create a quarterback controversy. Qb play is a lot like kicking in that so much of it is mental. As we've seen at ISU in the past, it's pretty easy to destroy a young promising quarterback's confidence.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
They screwed up by not using him in short yardage situations. Imagine if they talked him I to taking a Taysom Hill type role. He would have been dynamic!

• Agree
Reactions: great2baclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If he will only play QB, then he really had no choice but to transfer IMO.

He would be absolutely devastating at QB for Army, Navy, or Air Force. That's where he should look if I were him. He's just not a pro-style QB at all.

I just wish he would have been willing to switch positions. He'd make an awesome slot WR. I'll be very disappointed if he goes somewhere else, switches to slot WR, and excels. That's what I wanted him to be at ISU.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If he will only play QB, then he really had no choice but to transfer IMO.

He would be absolutely devastating at QB for Army, Navy, or Air Force. That's where he should look if I were him. He's just not a pro-style QB at all.

I just wish he would have been willing to switch positions. He'd make an awesome slot WR. I'll be very disappointed if he goes somewhere else, switches to slot WR, and excels. That's what I wanted him to be at ISU.

I'm not sure the academies take transfers like that?

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The only time he really could of been used this season was the KSU game and only because the crazy winds made passing almost impossible You generally have to be careful not to create a quarterback controversy. Qb play is a lot like kicking in that so much of it is mental. As we've seen at ISU in the past, it's pretty easy to destroy a young promising quarterback's confidence.

Plus how many times over the last 10 years have we lamented not having QB play the entire season? And now we want 2 QBs to play. Fans are stupid.