*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Grill must be shooting 3% from 3, I don't remember him making one.

17% on the season as of right now. (19% coming into today)

He's made 5 all season: 3 in the first 2 games, 1 in the loss to seton hall, one in the loss to KU.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Grill is near-worthless except for a few defensive plays. Nixon has been worthless except for the last 45 seconds. Conditt started off great, fell off since. Young hasn't given us anything. Jacobsen has giving us rebounding and nothing else. Bolton and Hali are being keyed on constantly. Griffin and Lewis each had a brief moment, and little else.

What do you even do at this point? There's nothing to work with today.

I have to admit, we are missing Jackson a bit today. He's a decent 3PT defender and positions/recovers fairly well.

If we could have kept them off the offensive boards a bit more and avoided a couple of the cheap fouls we may be hanging in there, but the defense hasn’t been good enough to go with this shooting.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I feel sorry for the players. It seems like they get no help from coaches when things are going bad. They appear to be lost when trying to run whatever the offense is. Maybe it’s on the players, but I don’t think most of it is

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Matty Ice had that too. Hope he can grow into what Matt was like.
That's a great comparison. Grill reminds me of when Matt played at ISU. They're both natural shooters, but it looks like they've both struggled because they're trying so hard. It's like Grill just needs to say to himself "f*** it, just give me the ball cause I'm shooting."

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I remember fans saying the same about Matt Thomas.

Grill isn't even comparable to Matt as a fr, Thomas played 20+ minutes a game on a Sweet 16 team. Grill gets 10 a night on the worst ISU team in a decade. Matt played as a fr because he could hang, Caleb is playing right now because we lack other options. I hope he gets it going but to this point, he's not even in the convo with Matt as a fr.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Not much to be done here...it’s men vs boys..lot of games going to be like this

Good or average teams just have a lot more players

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and Doc

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I feel sorry for the players. It seems like they get no help from coaches when things are going bad. They appear to be lost when trying to run whatever the offense is. Maybe it’s on the players, but I don’t think most of it is
Small just said on the radio halftime report, that they're going to go away from the ball screens, and spread the floor more, to create driving lanes. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Grill needs to look at what Lewis was doing, and attack the rim more. He's athletic enough to make something good happen

I don’t think his handle is there yet to be able to do that like Lewis. I think he needs to make some shots and then he can attack off of close outs, but Lewis sure looks more comfortable with the ball.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Grill isn't even comparable to Matt as a fr, Thomas played 20+ minutes a game on a Sweet 16 team. Grill gets 10 a night on the worst ISU team in a decade. Matt played as a fr because he could hang, Caleb is playing right now because we lack other options. I hope he gets it going but to this point, he's not even in the convo with Matt as a fr.
But they’re both white and play basketball at Iowa State, how can they not be the same? Good god it’s like a disease with some people.

Last edited: