Re-al Mitchell to Transfer

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love Matt Campbell. I agree with most everything he does. But I think he screwed up on this one a little bit. There were plenty of chances to involve Re-al in the offense much more than we did, but we didn't. Hope I'm wrong, and maybe I will be, but we could look back in a couple of years and have a really sick feeling in our stomachs about what could have been with Re-al. Especially if Brock gets hurt or leaves early for NFL.

It didn't help that we had some pretty lousy games against the worst opponents on the schedule that required playing Brock the entire game at QB.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hope we won’t have to play against him in the future. Hate to see him leave, but completely understand. He should be successful wherever he ends up

He never threw the ball at high volume but he was pretty much always effective moving the chains and getting in the end zone when he got a chance.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Mitchell wanted to play QB. Taking your best player off the field seems like a really bad idea

I don't disagree. But there were plenty of times we could have used a little jolt, threw a different look to a defense on a play or two, and we never did that...even though it was something Campbell talked quite a bit about doing last summer.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I love Matt Campbell. I agree with most everything he does. But I think he screwed up on this one a little bit. There were plenty of chances to involve Re-al in the offense much more than we did, but we didn't. Hope I'm wrong, and maybe I will be, but we could look back in a couple of years and have a really sick feeling in our stomachs about what could have been with Re-al. Especially if Brock gets hurt or leaves early for NFL.

If he wants to play QB, then he has to leave. Don't blame him at all. I will cheer for him wherever he goes.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
ISU transfer QBs haven’t had best luck at their next stops

Rohach barely played at Buffalo
Noland barely played at NDSU
Moore did not play for South Dakota
Park played a lot but horribly for a bad D2 team

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I hate to see him leave, but he was not going to be the starting QB at ISU. They certainly should have used him a lot more than they did last year.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I don't disagree. But there were plenty of times we could have used a little jolt, threw a different look to a defense on a play or two, and we never did that...even though it was something Campbell talked quite a bit about doing last summer.
It's one of the few things I've been disappointed about Campbell and his staff, their occasional lack of creativity, or not willing to be unconventional.

Had it not been for Park's issues, Lanning probably never plays at QB like he did. I get you want your best MLB on the field as much as possible, but it was obvious, after he was forced to play QB, that there was big advantage to getting the ball on his hands. They had a whole off-season to put packages together, but didn't do it until they had to. Not to mention, it was a great national story.

There were certainly instances last season when Purdy was not playing well at all, and it might have been beneficial for the offense to try to get a spark from Mitchell, and beneficial for Purdy to compose himself and see things from the sideline.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I wish him the best. Great young man.

This may be a new "problem" with more talent cconsistaly coming in. I'd imagine he didn't want to switch positions, otherwise he may have found the field more.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes (drop level to play or sit out). I wonder if he enrolled for the spring? Would have been better to maybe get into another schools spring ball rotation if he didn't.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

great2baclone

May 7, 2014

I agree we really dropped the ball with Re'al. There were plenty of opportunities for him to play and prove himself in game action and for whatever reason we never gave him a shot. Maybe fear or creating a QB controversy I'm not sure. Coach Campbell said players, formations, plays when he first got here. We found a way for Lanning to play on offense. There had to be more ways to get Re'Al involved best of luck to him hopefully he becomes Russell Wilson somewhere else

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron