Player development

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
#1 Baylor is exactly who we should be comparing ourselves to. They are there, we are going in the opposite direction. Physicality is part of the equation for success.

Earle Bruce told me a very long time ago aka 1976..."You have to play what you recruit"....and that my friends sez it all!

• Agree
Reactions: Go2Guy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There are some really good players like those listed above, but I'll go with Hogue, Ejim, Kane, Tinsley, Fizer, & Horton.

Cool but with exception to Fizer none of these guys are like what Baylor currently has.

Tinsley put on weight his senior season but I'm not sure it was due to strength and conditioning. He wasn't very big his junior year but iirc was quicker.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Our best teams in history had some absolute units: Hogue, Ejim, Kane, Tinsley, Fizer, Horton. Need some more bulls built like that to compete with the big dogs

Each of those guys were transfers who arrived on campus as Jrs of Sr.s thus are naturally stronger.

ISU current starting line up is Prentiss (who is strong for his size), Jacobson SR, Solomon (size isn't an issue Jr, Bolton, Haliburton, and Conditt true Sophomores (George and Tyrese are noticeably stronger this year), and backups are true freshman Jackson and Grill.

While ISU is smaller than a lot of teams this year I believe it is more about being young rather than an issue with a trainer.
In any case that should even out next year, with the addition of Foster, Blackwell and Johmson adding to another year of development in the young guys. Plus I would guess ISU adds one grad transfer in the off season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Each of those guys were transfers who arrived on campus as Jrs of Sr.s thus are naturally stronger.

ISU current starting line up is Prentiss (who is strong for his size), Jacobson SR, Solomon (size isn't an issue Jr, Bolton, Haliburton, and Conditt true Sophomores (George and Tyrese are noticeably stronger this year), and backups are true freshman Jackson and Grill.

While ISU is smaller than a lot of teams this year I believe it is more about being young rather than an issue with a trainer.
In any case that should even out next year, with the addition of Foster, Blackwell and Johmson adding to another year of development in the young guys. Plus I would guess ISU adds one grad transfer in the off season.

Fizer and Ejim were 3 and 4 year guys.

ISU IS small this year but I don't remember a time when ISU had much length across the board.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I never have been big on muscle in basketball. Some of the best players ever were skinny dudes. MJ wasn't that big. Sure you have certain guys like Bron that are huge and use their muscle effectively. Also, just because people are skinny does not make them Fragil. Halliburton will never be a big basketball player. Maybe when he get's a little older he will fill out. I am just fine the way our guys are built.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are some really good players like those listed above, but I'll go with Hogue, Ejim, Kane, Tinsley, Fizer, & Horton.
Hogue was a junior when he came to Iowa State. Kane was a 5th year senior. If you remember Ejim when he first came to Iowa State or even his sophomore year, he was not even close to being where he was as a junior and senior.

Talen Horton Tucker was an absolute bull. Deonte Burton was the same way, however neither of them were guys that were in love with the weight room, they were just born like that.

Some of the guys you were bringing up are guys that are either very young, or their body types won't necessarily allow them to show the gains they make to the naked eye. As far as the current roster.. Lewis, Jacobson, and Griffin have made gains that you definitely can see. Conditt and Halliburton have body types that are going to be very hard to change in a year a two. They're naturally long and skinny and definitely have unbelievable metabolisms.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I never have been big on muscle in basketball. Some of the best players ever were skinny dudes. MJ wasn't that big. Sure you have certain guys like Bron that are huge and use their muscle effectively. Also, just because people are skinny does not make them Fragil. Halliburton will never be a big basketball player. Maybe when he get's a little older he will fill out. I am just fine the way our guys are built.

First, I can assure the OP that Andrews will do absolutely nothing to help the basketball team.

Will disagree a bit with you, Drew. I agree that bulk for the sake of bulk isn't good. Even in football when you listen to guys in S&C programs up through the NFL when you talk about positions other than the lines, it's all about strength and explosion, and whatever bulk comes with it, so be it.

So, yes, the idea of bulking up is not important in basketball. However, it is a natural effect of properly training and getting stronger, more explosive, and likely more durable. Guys will bulk up differently given the same strength training, but everybody is going to get more cut and bigger to an extent if they are properly training.

As for MJ, he was good when he was a young guy and skinny, but in his prime he was generally between 215-220, and pretty much all muscle. At 6-6 that isn't huge by any means, but that's pretty big, and he very strong. I think Kawhi is a great example. Dude is always going to be lanky, but he has beefed up a lot as a result of strength training. And his added strength is a tremendous asset.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s not that we’re too small or too big (an argument could be made for both. We’re missing that 6’5, 6’6, 6’7 guy that can 3 or more positions. Aka...THT.
And next year we'll have those guys back on the roster with the addition of Johnson, Blackwell, and Dubar. I believe their listed at 6'5", 6'6", and 6'7", and all of them are long guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone and GTO

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The fact the guy thought our new football S&C coach would be able to bulk up our basketball players tells me all I need to know.
The weight lifting programs are entirely different too, as well as the nutrition side of things.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
It’s not that we’re too small or too big (an argument could be made for both. We’re missing that 6’5, 6’6, 6’7 guy that can 3 or more positions. Aka...THT.
Oh you mean like Dudley Blackwell, Darlinstone Dubar, and Javan Johnson?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
First, I can assure the OP that Andrews will do absolutely nothing to help the basketball team.

Will disagree a bit with you, Drew. I agree that bulk for the sake of bulk isn't good. Even in football when you listen to guys in S&C programs up through the NFL when you talk about positions other than the lines, it's all about strength and explosion, and whatever bulk comes with it, so be it.

So, yes, the idea of bulking up is not important in basketball. However, it is a natural effect of properly training and getting stronger, more explosive, and likely more durable. Guys will bulk up differently given the same strength training, but everybody is going to get more cut and bigger to an extent if they are properly training.

As for MJ, he was good when he was a young guy and skinny, but in his prime he was generally between 215-220, and pretty much all muscle. At 6-6 that isn't huge by any means, but that's pretty big, and he very strong. I think Kawhi is a great example. Dude is always going to be lanky, but he has beefed up a lot as a result of strength training. And his added strength is a tremendous asset.

MJ was noted as seeing what the Pistons did and feeling the need to get stronger in order to get to a different level.

His physicality was underrated.

He was also a completely otherworldly type of athlete which helps too. His post-first retirement years were the most fun to watch, as he pretty much controlled everything around him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do they have the type of skill set as THT, and will it be utilized to compliment other roles on the team?
They're certainly not going to be one and done type talent like THT, but all of them should have an opportunity to play right away, especially Blackwell and Johnson.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Oh you mean like Dudley Blackwell, Darlinstone Dubar, and Javan Johnson?

Yep. Two of which we wouldn’t have room for if not for the coaching staff cutting two guys in the 2019 class. CBB is so fluid it’s really crazy how the pace of everything that happens off the court moves.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Hogue was a tough mf'er for sure, but he was not big. Rahshon Clark? Very skinny, his jersey fit his frame like a summer dress would a 98 pound blonde female. Iowa State loves skinny players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron