• Total voters

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @StevieISU23 for this first topic!

Here's the description (I'll add a private poll):

In relation to budgeting (New Years resolutions: lose weight and cut expenses). How much non-mortgage debt do you have? And what is your debt from? (CCs, school, cars) Are you aggressively working at it (Dave Ramsey'ing it)?

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
About 13-14k outside of the mortgage. Car loan, all because at the same time that we buying our house, my old car's transmission decided it was done so we had to buy a new vehicle and most of the available funds we had were earmarked for the house. Wonderful timing.

Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
In jr high, so 2004 or so, I loaned a friend $1 with the agreement he would pay me back 1.25 the next day and an extra quarter everyday he didnt pay. He still hasn't paid me. Debating on taking him to see Judge Judy.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1 and Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
In jr high, so 2004 or so, I loaned a friend $1 with the agreement he would pay me back 1.25 the next day and an extra quarter everyday he didnt pay. He still hasn't paid me. Debating on taking him to see Judge Judy.

That was quite the loan shark rates. Didn't put the enforcer on him/her because of the friendship?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
That was quite the loan shark rates. Didn't put the enforcer on him/her because of the friendship?
It was a way to help ensure quick repayment. It's the agreement I would make with people if I needed to borrow a few bucks too. And this was the only instance I didnt get paid.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our only non-mortgage debt is a recent vehicle purchase. Vehicles are too damn expensive.

I got lucky with some inheritance to pay down my car debt but I've decided my next car is going to be an older model that I can get fully inspected, and pay a fuller lesser amount to get out of it what I can.

The less running around with a dealer the better.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I got lucky with some inheritance to pay down my car debt but I've decided my next car is going to be an older model that I can get fully inspected, and pay a fuller lesser amount to get out of it what I can.

The less running around with a dealer the better.

We'll most likely be keeping this vehicle for a long time so that is how I try to justify the cost to myself.

The car buying process is just brutal. The extended warranty pitch made me want to just walk on the whole deal.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We'll most likely be keeping this vehicle for a long time so that is how I try to justify the cost to myself.

The car buying process is just brutal. The extended warranty pitch made me want to just walk on the whole deal.

Yeah no warranty next time for me.

****ers.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
10K left of student loans, 20K or so on truck.

Would have had the student loans paid off if it wasn't for my car taking a crap.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Other than the mortgage paying off the last bit of a new air conditioner we got 0% financing on last year so I don't really consider it debt when I basically just chose to pay it in interest free installments over 12 months than a lump sum all at once.

Eventually will need to replace a vehicle and will likely have to finance some of it as our oldest car is 12 years old now but only 110k miles on it and in working order so no rush to get into car payments. Maybe when the youngest kid is out of daycare in a couple years we'll entertain it with having that money freed up for something else finally.

Help Support Us

Become a patron