****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I looked up our 3pt% and was shocked to see we are 7th in the conference. KState, WVU and OSU are all shooting a worse % from three. That doesn't seem possible.
I only saw the whole season stats for the Big 12 where we are 8th. The problem is we shoot the 3rd most. We have 450 attempts compared to 323 for WVU (9th) and 362 for OSU (10th, one less game).

So we attempt 7 more 3's per game than WVU and 4 more than OSU.

If we're going to shoot terribly from 3, we need to shoot less of them. For example, Nixon is shooting under 24% on the season. 0-7 last game and they weren't all wide open shots, time to change the green light to yellow.

Nobody on our team except Haliburton should be taking a pull up 3, we need to be catching and shooting from 3.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Class balance is such a stupid consideration.

You take the best player available, period.

I tend to agree with this but it changes when you are losing multiple kids out of each recruiting class. When that happens, you get rebuilds every other year. This coaching staff is 5 years in and hasn't had one HS recruit finish his eligibility with the program, we only have 1 sr and 1 jr, so if those two make it, that'll be 2 kids in 7 years. This strategy clearly isn't working for this coaching staff.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Oklahoma getting involved. I may be missing some but in addition to Oklahoma and Iowa State - Depaul, Indiana, Texas, Cal, Texas A&M, UCONN, Xavier, Cincy, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Maryland have all shown interest to varying degrees in Smart since he de-commited from ETSU in mid December.

Last edited:

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Like you said, ESPN recruiting is kind of a joke. However, do you know what Xavier and Dudley’s rankings were before this update?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Like you said, ESPN recruiting is kind of a joke. However, do you know what Xavier and Dudley’s rankings were before this update?

Though ESPN isn't as thorough as Rivals, Scout or 247 it is factored into the baseline 247 ranks which most use as the standard to compare classes thus shouldn't be totally dismissed.

I am not 100 percent sure but I think Xavier was mid 50's (56?) and Blackwell was in the low 90's snot much movement for either which makes since with XF missing the summer evaluation period and I'm not sure how much DB played with his mom being sick, (I didn't see him highlighted a lot in summer recaps).

Minor note they have Walker rated as a 4 star 80 eval which put him right outside of the top 100 (Dudley has an 81 eval). Dunbar is a 3 but a late riser and I am not sure how much the ESPN scouts have even seen him to properly evaluate him if at all

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Though ESPN isn't as thorough as Rivals, Scout or 247 it is factored into the baseline 247 ranks which most use as the standard to compare classes thus shouldn't be totally dismissed.

I am not 100 percent sure but I think Xavier was mid 50's (56?) and Blackwell was in the low 90's snot much movement for either which makes since with XF missing the summer evaluation period and I'm not sure how much DB played with his mom being sick, (I didn't see him highlighted a lot in summer recaps).

Minor note they have Walker rated as a 4 star 80 eval which put him right outside of the top 100 (Dudley has an 81 eval). Dunbar is a 3 but a late riser and I am not sure how much the ESPN scouts have even seen him to properly evaluate him if at all

ESPN rankings are like the CCL of recruiting rankings. It doesn’t mean **** but you don’t want to see your guys falling there.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I tend to agree with this but it changes when you are losing multiple kids out of each recruiting class. When that happens, you get rebuilds every other year. This coaching staff is 5 years in and hasn't had one HS recruit finish his eligibility with the program, we only have 1 sr and 1 jr, so if those two make it, that'll be 2 kids in 7 years. This strategy clearly isn't working for this coaching staff.

2018 class THT one and done, TH year 2 year entry.

2019 2 leave prior to the season starting.

Here's my question, 2 PG on the radar to fill THs spot A) is a solid game managing Juco with 3 years left to play 12/5/6 35% from 3, B) is a GT from the MAC 1st team all conference 24/8/8 47% from 3. Would class balance have any influence on which kid you prioritize?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
2018 class THT one and done, TH year 2 year entry.

2019 2 leave prior to the season starting.

Here's my question, 2 PG on the radar to fill THs spot A) is a solid game managing Juco with 3 years left to play 12/5/6 35% from 3, B) is a GT from the MAC 1st team all conference 24/8/8 47% from 3. Would class balance have any influence on which kid you prioritize?

Nope. None.

• Winner
Reactions: amishclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Glad to see we are hitting JUCO for possible open scholarships this spring. We need immediate impact players for 20/21 to create as much high-level competition as possible for top 8.

Grad transfers have been OK for ISU but IMO their value is mainly to fill position gaps for a high level roster.

Bringing in 2 year guys creates better roster stability and targets guys who can play major PT year 1.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26