NFL: Eli Manning Retires

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
There is absolutely nothing that impressive about Bradshaw, Aikman, or Joe Namath's numbers other than their Super Bowl rings. Maybe Trent Dilfer should be in the HOF too.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Two Super Bowl wins. Two Super Bowl MVPs. He's one of 5 players in history to have earned multiple Super Bowl MVP awards. Plus, the guy started 222 consecutive games. Didn't miss a start from 2004 to 2017, putting him 3rd all time.

HoF.

• Winner
Reactions: Sigmapolis

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here they are sorted by completion percentage:

Warner - .655
Young - .643
Aikman - .615
Manning - .603
Kelly - .601
Stabler - .598
Fouts - .588
Moon - .584
Staubach - .570
Griese - .562
Bradshaw - .519
Namath - .501

Note that this list is generally (with a few exceptions) in reverse chronological order of their years in the NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is absolutely nothing that impressive about Bradshaw, Aikman, or Joe Namath's numbers other than their Super Bowl rings. Maybe Trent Dilfer should be in the HOF too.
Aikman has a higher winning percentage and a higher completion percentage than Manning.

I think Bradshaw and Namath (even more so) made it more on their larger than life personalities.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think I got all of the QBs he kept listing. Here they all are sorted by winning percentage:

Staubach -11 years .746
Bradshaw - 14 years .677
Stabler - 15 years .662
Young - 15 years .657
Kelly - 11 years .631
Griese - 14 years .622
Warner - 12 years .578
Aikman -12 years .570
Fouts - 15 years .506
Moon - 17 years .502
Manning - 16 years .500
Namath - 13 years .496

Also, every one of those guys not names Manning was known as the best QB at some point, or for some reason. Eli, not so much.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So weird he won Super Bowls with largely forgettable teams other than they beat the Patriots.

Doesn't help that they've been pretty forgettable most other years no matter what he was doing.

This gives the ESPN etc. some NY Giants content I guess. The amount of time they have to talk about terrible teams like the Jets and Giants just because they're big markets is pretty amazing.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So weird he won Super Bowls with largely forgettable teams other than they beat the Patriots.

Doesn't help that they've been pretty forgettable most other years no matter what he was doing.

This gives the ESPN etc. some NY Giants content I guess. The amount of time they have to talk about terrible teams like the Jets and Giants just because they're big markets is pretty amazing.

During the 4th quarter of the 2008 SB against the 16-0 Patriots, Eli was 9-14 for 152 yds 2 TDs and 1 INT. And people forget on the "Helmet Catch", Eli should've been sacked at least twice on that play before escaping and making the throw.

Had the Patriots won, that team would've been considered the best in NFL history. Eli chewed them up in the 4th in a total clutch performance to get the game winning TDs they needed. That means something.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
During the 4th quarter of the 2008 SB against the 16-0 Patriots, Eli was 9-14 for 152 yds 2 TDs and 1 INT. And people forget on the "Helmet Catch", Eli should've been sacked at least twice on that play before escaping and making the throw.

Had the Patriots won, that team would've been considered the best in NFL history. Eli chewed them up in the 4th in a total clutch performance to get the game winning TDs they needed. That means something.

I didn't say if I thought Eli's performances were good or bad. They were impressive wins and playoff runs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I mean, he did throw a gimmie to Asante Samuel that bounced right off Samuel's hands right before the helmet catch. But that's how it goes sometimes. Take advantage of the breaks.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Do you hate John Elway for refusing to play for the Baltimore Colts?

Players doing everything in their power to avoid playing for a toxic franchise is fair game, as far as I am concerned. Elway and Manning have that right.

I don't really think about Elway at all; he was drafted before I knew what a football was, and I don't remember watching him play much when I was a kid.

Their stats are pretty well on par with each other - since Elway is in, it's obvious Manning will be in. But I still don't like him.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Rivers is statistically one of the best QB's to ever play the game. He absolutely belongs.

Colin Cowherd was talking about that a couple months ago. Saying how Rivers might be the most underrated QB ever and San Diego/LA has done very little to help him.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't really think about Elway at all; he was drafted before I knew what a football was, and I don't remember watching him play much when I was a kid.

Their stats are pretty well on par with each other - since Elway is in, it's obvious Manning will be in. But I still don't like him.

Eli was apart of the best NFL thing ever. Ruin the Patriots' perfect season. Instant HOF just for that.

That is where I am at --

I love Eli just for him peeing in Brady's cereal a few times.

:)

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Career stars are basically Vinny Testaverde (with 2 rings). Only made pro bowl 25% of his career. Never all-pro. Playoffs 6 times Out of 16 seasons with first round exits 4/6 (other two years, he won the SB).

Good. Not HOF.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Eli, is the Don Sutton of NFL QB's, played a long time, put up a lot of stats, and won a couple championships, but was never thought of as a great QB during any time of his playing career.

Sometime just because you have the numbers does not mean that you were one of the best to ever play the game. I prefer the players that everyone knew was the best at their position, even if they only played for 10 to 12 years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
QB stats are so easy to twist to serve your agenda. "He put up great numbers, but they never ran the ball" or "He padded his stats in garbage time". Conversely, "He never put up big numbers because of the scheme he was in" or "He was asked to be a game manager who took care of the ball and let his defense win the game."

I have a hard time arguing the Super Bowl wins and MVPs, but I have an equally hard time putting Eli in the Hall of Fame. I've just never considered him to be on of the top five quarterbacks in any given year (maybe 2011 based on passing stats) of his career. If someone is consistently out-performed by his peers, does he deserve to be in the Hall due to longevity?

I have no problem with people thinking he should be in there. I just wonder if you were to ask coaches during Eli's career, "If you could pick your top 5 QBs to run your team, who would you pick", would Eli make many lists?

Pretty sure that answer would be no. Heck Mahomes has never won a super bowl and I'd take him above Eli.