Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It is hard for Conditt to lose games, when Bolton is out there hogging the ball and dribbling off his leg late in games. Just because you don't lose the game for your team, doesn't mean you are clutch.

I honestly wish you didn't suck at this. It would be more entertaining but this is just sad. Just take the L on saying Conditt wasn't performing and move on

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
That probably didn't help but I doubt he'd be producing like he currently is. His footwork is better, his finishing ability is phenomenal, and his overall aggressiveness has gone up as well.

I also think the subtraction of Tyler Cook is helping Iowa out too. Cook, while pretty good, was not even close to being as good of a finisher as Garza. He also couldn't shoot worth a lick so no one bothered guarding him outside of 10 feet. Garza is much more dangerous and without Cook posting up in the lane every possession, Garza gets to go to work down there instead.

That could be the case with Cook, but it is always tough to know. I do tend to disagree with that though. Last year we needed Cook, because Garza isn't what he is now last year. I mean Garza and Kriener/Pemsl play together a lot and are fine together on the court. So I don't think Cook hurt anything last year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That could be the case with Cook, but it is always tough to know. I do tend to disagree with that though. Last year we needed Cook, because Garza isn't what he is now last year. I mean Garza and Kriener/Pemsl play together a lot and are fine together on the court. So I don't think Cook hurt anything last year.
Yes that does make sense. I guess I meant to say it might have been a good thing Cook left in regards to this current year. Garza would not be averaging what he currently is with Cook on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: Legend Hawk

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yes that does make sense. I guess I meant to say it might have been a good thing Cook left in regards to this current year. Garza would not be averaging what he currently is with Cook on the floor.

Somewhat related to this, I think the short bench has forced Fran into a shorter rotation and it is working. For years he has inexplicably limited the minutes of his best players. Now he's all but forced to play guys like Wieskamp and Garza 30+ minutes a game and they are thriving.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Somewhat related to this, I think the short bench has forced Fran into a shorter rotation and it is working. For years he has inexplicably limited the minutes of his best players. Now he's all but forced to play guys like Wieskamp and Garza 30+ minutes a game and they are thriving.
Oh completely. It's worked out incredibly in his favor. Nunge being healthy would most likely take away some of his minutes and Garza is too good to not be playing 30+ minutes a game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
[Tyrese] and Rasir, they need to play well for us,” Iowa State coach Steve Prohm said after Iowa State’s recent win. “That’s just reality.”

Yes, Prohm might be stating the obvious, but as Iowa State soon reaches the final week of January it appears to finally be finding an identity. Bolton’s recent emergence seemingly gives the Cyclones a one-two punch that, combined with some sort of post presence, could give Iowa State a chance down the stretch.

“When Tyrese and Rasir play well, we’re a different team when both those guys are playing their A-game,” Prohm reiterated Thursday before Iowa State faces Auburn. “We’re going to need that Saturday because of the way Auburn plays defensively. We’re going to need to put those guys up top, try to really spread them out and be able to dribble drive and penetrate. Rasir is probably our best guy of being able to get by somebody and put pressure on the rim. He did a really good job against Oklahoma State and made a couple good reads as well.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
What a meat grinder the Big10 is. Iowa has 12 games remaining and 9 of them are against Quad 1 opponents.

~20% of the Big 12/Big 10 in the top 8 with the most quad 1 wins
~60% of the Big 12/Big 10 with at least 8 quad 1 games remaining on schedule.

Not too shabby.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Cook and Moss leaving was a blessing in disguise. They were both ball stoppers in a motion offense. Part of Garza's success this year is due to guys passing him the ball in a position to score. Even when teams are focused on denying him in the post, Iowa's guys are finding a way to get him the ball. Iowa has made Garza the focal point of their offense and they are executing well.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Cook and Moss leaving was a blessing in disguise. They were both ball stoppers in a motion offense. Part of Garza's success this year is due to guys passing him the ball in a position to score. Even when teams are focused on denying him in the post, Iowa's guys are finding a way to get him the ball. Iowa has made Garza the focal point of their offense and they are executing well.
Yeah I would completely agree with that.. and that's something that came to a lot of people's surprise. Although Moss was a high percentage shooter, he did take a lot of ill-advised shots that would take the team out of a rhythm on offense.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That exact scenario was discussed last night with Chad and Emmert.
They talked about Cook and Moss (and even Connor getting his minutes at game end).
They even brought in JorBo being hurt this year and it might be a blessing.

Chad said he hopes Fran realizes now playing double digit guys doesn't work well but he wasn't so sure that will translate over to next year. He seemed to infer he's unsure Fran won't stick with what's working this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Gitwitit

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I agree. Iowa fans are talking about how stacked they will be next year if Garza and Wieskamp come back. I'm not so sure since then Fran will be able to go 10 deep with getting Nunge and Bohannon back and maybe Patrick.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
That exact scenario was discussed last night with Chad and Emmert.
They talked about Cook and Moss (and even Connor getting his minutes at game end).
They even brought in JorBo being hurt this year and it might be a blessing.

Chad said he hopes Fran realizes now playing double digit guys doesn't work well but he wasn't so sure that will translate over to next year. He seemed to infer he's unsure Fran won't stick with what's working this year.

Its actually 2 years in a row now where Fran's hand has been forced to not play double digit guys regularly.

Pemsl, Nunge and Fredrick all redshirted and for the most part, he only played 9 guys last year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree. Iowa fans are talking about how stacked they will be next year if Garza and Wieskamp come back. I'm not so sure since then Fran will be able to go 10 deep with getting Nunge and Bohannon back and maybe Patrick.
Iowa will for sure be talented next year, but there's no doubt in my mind Patrick will receive a lot of PT. If Patrick turns out to be very good then it could be a good thing because he'll most likely see the majority of the minutes, but if he isn't that good or playing as a redshirt freshman most likely does, he could be taking away minutes from other guys.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Iowa will for sure be talented next year, but there's no doubt in my mind Patrick will receive a lot of PT. If Patrick turns out to be very good then it could be a good thing because he'll most likely see the majority of the minutes, but if he isn't that good or playing as a redshirt freshman most likely does, he could be taking away minutes from other guys.

My hope is Patrick takes the minutes that Pemsl is getting this year, Nunge gets Kriener's minutes off the bench.

Then hope to see Eveyln's minutes and a reduction in Toussaint's playing time going back to Bohannon.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My hope is Patrick takes the minutes that Pemsl is getting this year, Nunge gets Kriener's minutes off the bench.

Then hope to see Eveyln's minutes and a reduction in Toussaint's playing time going back to Bohannon.
So Pemsl starts? Or Nunge starts?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

We'll be more talented than Iowa next year, especially in our starting 5