Starting OL for 2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Could Newell play tackle? Might be best to have one of the younger guys at center and move him out there.
That’s a great question. I think someone has mentioned before that Schweiger could play C, allowing Newell to flex to another spot.

There are options, just either way (barring a grad transfer) it’ll be a pretty inexperienced OL.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Directly from him. Havent seen it listed anywhere so I hesitate to say it's done, but that was plan late last fall

Ok. Looking forward to an official comment from the staff. Always welcome players looking for another way to get on the field. And I'm sure Coach Rasheed loves the extra bodies. Kleinow certainly has the size, but @ 6'6" he may struggle with pad level on the interior. Best of luck to him!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Downing is a guard.

Ramos will play LT.

Foster, Remsburg and Treiber will battle it out for RT.

JGJ was a center. CMC said Downing is the most talented lineman he's ever coached. Bookend OTs for three years isn't a bad thing.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
  • Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I figured Ramos was a lock for LT. But if Treiber starts at LT. I take that as a good sign since Ramos already has Big 12 experience there (and played ok)
The way I look at it, Joey Ramos could be a really good LT.

Treiber, on the other hand, has a chance to be a great LT. Matter of fact, one of the best LT’s I’ve seen at ISU—since Karl Nelson.

Of course, for all I know CMC and Jeff Myers will start him out on the right side just because. And for our two young lefty QB’s, the right side is the blind side anyway, right?

Reactions: CycloneVet

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's a bad year to be short on experience/ depth upfront. Don't get me wrong I'm very excited about the starting five. Plus I think Schweiger is a capable backup which would allow Newell to slide out to guard if needed. As for OT I truly hope Foster has improved enough to step in if needed. But here's the rub. 3 RFR in the second unit with the only scholarship non true freshman they are ahead of being Ross. I fear that shows move about his lack of development than their improvement. It's entirely possible the uncertainty of health both physical and medical we may be putting true freshman on the field for meaningful snaps. I know it's better to have a few lions rather than a flock of lambs. I just hope that's the case.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My prediction for the O-line:

LT Sean Foster
LG Trevor Downing
C Colin Newell
RG Derek Schweiger
RT Joey Ramos

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My prediction for the O-line:

LT Sean Foster
LG Trevor Downing
C Colin Newell
RG Derek Schweiger
RT Joey Ramos

No inside info, but I'll go:

LT: Treiber, Ramos
LG: Downing, Ross
C: Schweiger, Simmons
RG: Newell, Hudson
RT: Ramos, Foster/Remsburg

EVERYONE back next year plus FR coming off RS...should be a really good group. In fact, outside of Purdy and the TEs, pretty much the whole offense is back.

Reactions: Aclone

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My prediction:

LT: Treiber
LG: Downing
C: Schweiger
RG: Newell
RT: Ramos

First 2 O-line to rotate in are Hudson and Foster. I think Foster is a RT and would bump Ramos over to give Treiber a breather. Hudson is a RG, Newell could bump over to LG to give Downing a breather.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It's a bad year to be short on experience/ depth upfront. Don't get me wrong I'm very excited about the starting five. Plus I think Schweiger is a capable backup which would allow Newell to slide out to guard if needed. As for OT I truly hope Foster has improved enough to step in if needed. But here's the rub. 3 RFR in the second unit with the only scholarship non true freshman they are ahead of being Ross. I fear that shows move about his lack of development than their improvement. It's entirely possible the uncertainty of health both physical and medical we may be putting true freshman on the field for meaningful snaps. I know it's better to have a few lions rather than a flock of lambs. I just hope that's the case.
Uh, what? “his lack of development”?

CMC just said that Ross is healthy for the first time since blowing his knee out and missing his senior year in HS.

And Trevor Downing did well last season as a RS freshman, he likes the current RS FR, so it kinda sounds like you’re manufacturing reasons to worry.

Reactions: TheJackWePack5