ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Chances are that a lot of why the Big 12 is doing this is because by playing ball with ESPN, they get a lot more money than they otherwise would. All the decisions are about the money, always have been, always will be.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
@CyBobby is there something in my last post that is incorrect? The big dogs of CBB are playing more games on “regional networks” than ISU is
The ACCN is NOT the same as the ESPN + App. ACCN is a Television Station available on cable packages, and any sports bar in the country will probably have it. Hell, I have it on my Direct TV in Des Moines. However, go ahead and try to request an ESPN + App Game in a bar. lol. Good luck with that.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I really hope that some day you find the person making this argument so you can give them what for.

It’s possible for two things to be true at the same time:
  1. The previous ESPN/Big 12 media agreement was better for the Big 12
  2. ESPN+ is easily accessible to the vast majority of the fan base, accessing streaming media on a TV is not rocket science, and $15 is not going to break you

No it isn't.

• Agree

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
No it isn't.

I don't think anyone would argue Netflix isn't available to the vast majority of our fanbase.

I'd rather have games available on both TV and streaming, and yes, we would all like more games televised, but there are definitely people on here that are simply being obtuse.

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins and Bader

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The ACCN is NOT the same as the ESPN + App. ACCN is a Television Station available on cable packages, and any sports bar in the country will probably have it. Hell, I have it on my Direct TV in Des Moines. However, go ahead and try to request an ESPN + App Game in a bar. lol. Good luck with that.
It’s available as an additional package on both major satellite providers and cable in some ACC states.

There is no question broadcasts on ESPN/ESPN2/U/News are better exposure. It’s apparent ESPN wasn’t willing to fork over another $4 mil a school without getting some help with their streaming service. The Big 12 is on the bleeding edge here, but in 5 years plenty more will be in the same position.

I guarantee you bars all over the country had the McGregor/Cowboy fight on Saturday night that was only on ESPN+.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Who the **** are these mysterious people going to bars on Tuesday nights to watch 8-9 ISU vs 8-9 OSU?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and awd4cy

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Who the **** are these mysterious people going to bars on Tuesday nights to watch 8-9 ISU vs 8-9 OSU?

We picked up a ton of casual fans under Fred when we were playing an entertaining style of ball and were on ESPN twice a week.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I thought everyone on this site was wealthy, didn't know I was hanging out with Iowa trailer trash.
The same trailer trash that can afford a $5 pack of cigarettes a day, yet some around here ***** about having to pay $5 a month for ESPN +

• Informative

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

“ESPN + App”

Ok, boomer

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and Hoggins

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
With linear channels there are a limited number of time slots available. What that means is games get moved so the network can fill it's schedule with good games. With streaming services their is no limit to the number of games that can be aired at a given time. What that might mean is that your games may start at more traditional times. There is less need to "slot" them into a particular time slot.

It also means that you often miss the start of your game when an earlier game runs long, or if some major breaking news happens. I remember a time some Mike Tyson news preempted a Cyclone basketball game. That should never happen with a game planned to air on a streaming service.

This chapter of streaming has yet to be written, but I would love it if the host school was in control of kickoff times rather than a television network.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
With linear channels there are a limited number of time slots available. What that means is games get moved so the network can fill it's schedule with good games. With streaming services their is no limit to the number of games that can be aired at a given time. What that might mean is that your games may start at more traditional times. There is less need to "slot" them into a particular time slot.

It also means that you often miss the start of your game when an earlier game runs long, or if some major breaking news happens. I remember a time some Mike Tyson news preempted a Cyclone basketball game. That should never happen with a game planned to air on a streaming service.

This chapter of streaming has yet to be written, but I would love it if the host school was in control of kickoff times rather than a television network.

Completely agree. This is the new normal.

I'd also like to add, it's only a matter of time until ESPN+ content is integrated with regular streaming apps so you don't have to go between apps. Hulu is already experimenting with this since they have the same parent company.