KU vs KSU Brawl

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I see personal fouls called like exactly what you described in football all the time.

When was the last time you saw it result in the opposing team rushing out onto the field and assaulting the player responsible for the personal foul?

NEVER. And those are after violent physical contact. This was a clean block and a freaking standover. Good grief. That happens in every football game.

Your trying to tell me if dude sacks QB END OF GAME, and does a stand over on him, a fight will not break out? Really? Anyone on this board think this would end with simply with a 15 yard penalty?

You don't think the timing of the situation had an impact?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CRCy17

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
XqdzXUB.png

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://t.co/J23f0XxrF2?amp=1
The Big 12 Conference today announced the following suspensions for the players involved in the altercation near the conclusion of Tuesday’s Kansas State at Kansas men’s basketball game:

Kansas
Silvio De Sousa – 12 games
David McCormack – 2 games

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

Additionally, both programs were reprimanded for violations of the Big 12 Sportsmanship Policies as a result of players leaving the bench area during the incident.

“This kind of behavior cannot be tolerated and these suspensions reflect the severity of last evening’s events,” said Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “I am appreciative of the cooperation of both institutions in resolving this matter.”

Reactions: CyBobby

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
The Big 12 Conference today announced the following suspensions for the players involved in the altercation near the conclusion of Tuesday’s Kansas State at Kansas men’s basketball game:

Kansas

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

Additionally, both programs were reprimanded for violations of the Big 12 Sportsmanship Policies as a result of players leaving the bench area during the incident.

“This kind of behavior cannot be tolerated and these suspensions reflect the severity of last evening’s events,” said Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “I am appreciative of the cooperation of both institutions in resolving this matter.”
Pretty lenient if you ask me, but zero surprise.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Kansas

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

Related Story Content
Ya knew the Big 12 was going to extend this past the KSU game for De Sousa...The question is will KU allow him to come back after 12?

Actually math tells me he is suspended for the rest of the regular Big 12 season. Though I kind of suck at math..

Edit: Forgot Tennessee so he will be back for the last game of the Big 12 season

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Kansas

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

I thought leaving the bench during a brawl had an automatic suspension, not a "reprimand."

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Ya knew the Big 12 was going to extend this past the KSU game for De Sousa...The question is will KU allow him to come back after 12?

I think I'm misunderstanding your question. Are you asking if he'll play again this season? I presume the answer to that would be an emphatic YES...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's hilarious to read over and over here that so many Iowa State fans have zero problem with Kansas State's entire team leaving the bench and rushing out onto the court to begin a physical altercation with an opposing player while also claiming that it is vile and scummy to attempt to defend any of these actions.

Do you not see it?

You don’t see that two Kansas players initiated this. DeSouza stood over him but during the layup, another Kansas player grabbed his arm while he was in the arm and pulled him to the floor. I’ve seen teams come out on the floor for a hard foul. Throw on top of that the KU taunting and KU basically threw a match into the powder keg. Kstate should not have left the bench or done more than get their teammate out of that. But as Fred hoiberg told me about NBA brawls, the back ups don’t want to leave but if you don’t, the starters will have no respect for you and will push to cut your playing time. Why it’s usually a T to tower over a player.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I see personal fouls called like exactly what you described in football all the time.

When was the last time you saw it result in the opposing team rushing out onto the field and assaulting the player responsible for the personal foul?

NEVER. And those are after violent physical contact. This was a clean block and a freaking standover. Good grief. That happens in every football game.

Clean block? You must be high if you don’t think the shooter was fouled hard.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I thought leaving the bench during a brawl had an automatic suspension, not a "reprimand."

That is the part I don’t understand. All players that left the bench should get a game. It can be staggered to maintain competitiveness.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
It's hilarious to read over and over here that so many Iowa State fans have zero problem with Kansas State's entire team leaving the bench and rushing out onto the court to begin a physical altercation with an opposing player while also claiming that it is vile and scummy to attempt to defend any of these actions.

Do you not see it?

Look at it again and notice that Dotson and Garrett got from the Kansas bench at the other end of the floor into the scrum before most to the bench players from KSU. There is only one person to blame for this and it is De Sousa.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It could do one of two ways.

A technical foul and one free throw.

Or this mess.

Just depends on whether KSU makes the decision to ignore their coach, break the rule that exists in every level of basketball and that results in suspensions at every level of basketball and leave the bench to start an altercation.

They made their choice and here we are.
Psssst there is a rule in every level of basketball you can't jack someone and then stand over them EVEN if you are a skinny backup. There is NOTHING exculpatory by your lame ass excuse.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa

Do you not see it?

The game was over, jackass, :00 on the clock. Who cares that they left the bench, get off that angle, ya KU puke.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Reminds me of when a photo was snapped of a security guard physically accosting a Cyclone fan that was yelling at Self after a KU player did what the KSU player did and another reportedly mooned the student section.

The photo made it look like the Cyclone fan was the aggressor. While not completely innocent, the photo made it look far worse than what it was. And Kansas fans ran with that image for years. Totally unfair to the fan.

I've seen KU fans bring him up this year.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Do you really, for one second, think that if the sides of the floor were switched that KU's bench would have strictly adhered to the no leaving the bench policy?
Well, considering that Kansas has had numerous occasions where opponents have committed very hard fouls against them resulting in flagrant and technical fouls and hasnt responded by charging out onto the floor from the bench? Yes.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The game was over, jackass, :00 on the clock. Who cares that they left the bench, get off that angle, ya KU puke.
Then why did they put time in the clock and force the teams to come back on the floor to play out the last 1 second?

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I had zero issues with DeSousa’s block after the trash steal by Gordon. Everything that happened after that is why DeSousa will and should never play college basketball again. McCormack will get 3 games, multiple KSU players will get a game or two, and the KSU Street clothes kid will be done for the year.

McCormack should get the rest of the year for stomping a dude out

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6