*** Official Oklahoma State Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
We won a game we should have. Nothing more, nothing less
Exactly. I always get negative post ratings from people that never post here. All I said was slow your roll on this is something we can build off of. Prohm exploited a weakness via Solo. He should be finding weaknesses to exploit in every match up. I’m not calling this a turning point or something to build off of when we have 2 real games coming up that will tell us so much more. Hopefully we get a solid performance on the road at Auburn. Not even asking for a win but would like to see to a two possession game under two minutes left.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
My overall takeaways from last night:

Grill looked good, best I've seen him play all season (didn't watch hardly any games pre-January besides SH and Iowa in Hilton)
I think he'll be solid next year with potential to be good his JR and great SR seasons. Still need to see him hit some shots

Love Grill's hustle/effort but unfortunately he has not shown me a single thing that says he looks "good" yet. He is dead last on the team for player efficiency rating and is currently 1/13 from 3 so far in conference play.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Love Grill's hustle/effort but unfortunately he has not shown me a single thing that says he looks "good" yet. He is dead last on the team for player efficiency rating and is currently 1/13 from 3 so far in conference play.

He and Jackson are interesting, neither are probably ready for the minutes we need from them. They are both not ready for different reasons, Grill is physically ready, just not mentally. Jackson is the opposite, he plays very smart but physically, he really struggles. He's getting by but he needs to get much stronger to play in this league. A year in the program will do wonders for both.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah he is for sure struggling from beyond the arc.. However he does seem to have a lot of confidence in his shot and from my eyes he's not far behind from being ready to see significant minutes. It was good for him to get a lot of playing time last night, however everyone could see he still has to clean some things up offensively.

He's a guy that could've benefited very nicely from a redshirt, however that wasn't in the cards for him unfortunately.

Reactions: isutrevman

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Exactly. I always get negative post ratings from people that never post here. All I said was slow your roll on this is something we can build off of. Prohm exploited a weakness via Solo. He should be finding weaknesses to exploit in every match up. I’m not calling this a turning point or something to build off of when we have 2 real games coming up that will tell us so much more. Hopefully we get a solid performance on the road at Auburn. Not even asking for a win but would like to see to a two possession game under two minutes left.
So go on the road to a top 20 team and have a shot to win with 2 minutes left. Ok

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This was a very important win for Iowa State to get and although we did win and looked pretty good at times, we're going to have to do a lot of things differently in order to beat a team like Auburn on the road.

We absolutely cannot turn the ball over as much as we just did. If we do, it will get ugly. We also can't let off the gas if things are going well. We essentially stopped playing and almost let OSU back into the game with 5 minutes left. We were taking low percentage shots and turning the ball over carelessly.

We have a tough 4 game stretch coming up (@ #4 Auburn, vs. #1 Baylor, @ Texas, and @ #14 WVU). Getting one win in that gauntlet of teams would be very good. Being competitive in every game would be phenomenal.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you love his hustle and effort, it would seem that he HAS shown you a single thing. Assuming you also like his athleticism, it’s a good base for a freshman.

He’s exhibited a few attributes that looked good for a freshman imo. I suspect he’ll quickly improve to being good.

• Agree

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
If you love his hustle and effort, it would seem that he HAS shown you a single thing.

I wouldn't say that hustle and effort shows me that he's good, anything can do those things. It also doesn't mean that he won't be good in the future, just haven't seen it yet.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He moves well with and without the ball, showed last night that he has some potential to defend, and his shooting form looks the part, just needs to see some of them drop to boost his confidence. Someone above mentioned a redshirt benefiting him greatly, and I agree. Both he and Jackson honestly. Griffin should've last year, and Lewis the year before that (although later on we needed him to fill out the roster).

• Agree

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Is that the same Landen Lucas that averaged a whopping 8ppg his senior year? I don't think they used him as much as you are remembering.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/61621/landen-lucas

I didn't say they used him a ton I am saying the ran things to get him really easy looks. They teach their bigs how to properly seal guys and how to set defenders up to get good position. Lucas was not skilled at all on the offensive end but yet they would run plays to get him essentially lay ups. Just having that option makes an offense more dangerous. Especially when say if you are struggling from outside and you need to get a bucket, hey let's run something to get a shot at the rim for one of our bigs!

Reactions: isutrevman

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
He moves well with and without the ball, showed last night that he has some potential to defend, and his shooting form looks the part, just needs to see some of them drop to boost his confidence. Someone above mentioned a redshirt benefiting him greatly, and I agree. Both he and Jackson honestly. Griffin should've last year, and Lewis the year before that (although later on we needed him to fill out the roster).

With regard to shooting form. He needs work on his feet.

• Agree
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I didn't say they used him a ton I am saying the ran things to get him really easy looks. They teach their bigs how to properly seal guys and how to set defenders up to get good position. Lucas was not skilled at all on the offensive end but yet they would run plays to get him essentially lay ups. Just having that option makes an offense more dangerous. Especially when say if you are struggling from outside and you need to get a bucket, hey let's run something to get a shot at the rim for one of our bigs!
We do. Conditt and Young are tied as our 3rd leading scorers right now at 8.9ppg. I agree I wish we'd continue going to the post even more since our outside shooting is so bad. Last night we fed the post more than any game I can remember in a long time, mostly because OSU went with a small line up most of the game.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron