Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I don’t wanna go there but what westsiders think of Ankeny is far worse than what Ankenyites apparently think of west siders.
Gentrification wars? Dueling Whiteclaws at dawn? Town and Country drag races at sunset?

Most people I've met in Ankeny are not from the metro originally.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Gentrification wars? Dueling Whiteclaws at dawn? Town and Country drag races at sunset?

I think that’s kind of the thing. Classic old money vs new money battle.

Reactions: k123

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

what..wha ?!?!? Where is "gentrification" possibly occurring among the neighborhoods filled with single family beige colored homes in suburban DSM???? Are you sure you are using that term correctly?

• Funny
Reactions: k123 and Pat

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
what..wha ?!?!? Where is "gentrification" possibly occurring among the neighborhoods filled with single family beige colored homes in suburban DSM???? Are you sure you are using that term correctly?
Relax Deace. Think of suburbia as gentrified farmland

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Relax Deace. Think of suburbia as gentrified farmland

No longer asking the question on whether you understand the meaning of gentrification. You just made that crystal clear now. It is obvious you were making a joke, so no harm, no foul...

: the process of repairing and rebuilding homes and businesses in a deteriorating area (such as an urban neighborhood) accompanied by an influx of middle-class or affluent people and that often results in the displacement of earlier, usually poorer residents a neighborhood undergoing gentrification After a long period ...
upload_2020-1-21_21-44-14.png www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › gentrification

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
That's sad if true. Lola's is good and a nice variety from the rest of Ankeny (= burgers, tacos, Mexican). That whole Prairie Trail 'The District' area is in a pickle - it is an "evening or weekend" area until it develops, but can't develop all at once. I don't know why they don't keep prices low until all fully filled in, the last thing they need is empty storefronts, "momentum" is easy to lose and hard to regain. (Ask the ISU MBB team!)

My guess is the DRA / Albaugh property managers have become too proud of their development too early (It is nice! But also 'The District' = The Residences at The Lofts at SoDaSoPa). The area is packed for the free concerts, etc but needs to mature, and their catering to "upscale" might bite them. I like the idea of a scotch with a haircut, and a cigar store next door - but seriously, how many times a year would I do that? 1? 0.5?

This all ties in with my other other theory that what may work in WDM won't in Ankeny. WDM has people who grew up in DSM, went to Downling, Iowa Law, then Chicago and then back to DSM and want to 'show their status' being 'out'. Whereas Ankeny has people who grew up in Spencer, went to ISU, moved to Ankeny but want want to 'show their roots' by shopping Fareway with coupons and 'staying in' getting Casey's pizza to go in with finished basement or lawn chairs in garage. To a demographer looking at census tracts and income charts they may look more similar than reality.

I honestly never knew Lolas was an actual restaurant. I’ve been by there a ton and always assumed it was a store front for a hot sauce brand. I was always really confused when I saw the doors were still open. Lol.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Is this the first oops from that group of operators? I’d put el bait shop on top with any of it’s kind. The freaking best.
FCP has gotten out of a couple of their restaurants. Mullets, Shorty's, whatever the "upscale" wine bar that was above Shorty's too.

But this was definitely a rare misstep from FCP. I questioned the strategy of opening a new restaurant (Skol) next to one of your other establishments (Trumans). I view this a little differently than High Life and Bait Shop since they're attached, share a kitchen, and several staff members as well.

Also, I'm not sure the concept of Skol was ever fully realized. Viking/taco/whiskey/mead/Minnesota Vikings?/Metal/Craft Beer? They were supposed to have "meat specials", which never happened. They were supposed to have some more "authentic" dishes, which never happened. I think they just wanted to open up ASAP and hope that the company's popularity across Des Moines was going to carry them.

I know Bruno talked about opening up the basement of the Iowa Taproom as a "speakeasy", so I'm wondering if Skol's bar and whiskey are just going to be transported down the street to make up the new speakeasy.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
FCP has gotten out of a couple of their restaurants. Mullets, Shorty's, whatever the "upscale" wine bar that was above Shorty's too.

But this was definitely a rare misstep from FCP. I questioned the strategy of opening a new restaurant (Skol) next to one of your other establishments (Trumans). I view this a little differently than High Life and Bait Shop since they're attached, share a kitchen, and several staff members as well.

Also, I'm not sure the concept of Skol was ever fully realized. Viking/taco/whiskey/mead/Minnesota Vikings?/Metal/Craft Beer? They were supposed to have "meat specials", which never happened. They were supposed to have some more "authentic" dishes, which never happened. I think they just wanted to open up ASAP and hope that the company's popularity across Des Moines was going to carry them.

I know Bruno talked about opening up the basement of the Iowa Taproom as a "speakeasy", so I'm wondering if Skol's bar and whiskey are just going to be transported down the street to make up the new speakeasy.

The “speakeasy” clubs here in CBUS do really well. You have to buy a monthly or yearly membership to all of them, and some of them you have to be invited in to and then pay for it. They are super popular especially with the whiskey/bourbon heads. Some of them guarantee you so many glasses of so and so extra rare whiskeys/bourbons with your dues.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The “speakeasy” clubs here in CBUS do really well. You have to buy a monthly or yearly membership to all of them, and some of them you have to be invited in to and then pay for it. They are super popular especially with the whiskey/bourbon heads. Some of them guarantee you so many glasses of so and so extra rare whiskeys/bourbons with your dues.

I don't think FCP's is going to work that way.

It can be a 2 hr wait on weekends to get a table at the Iowa Tap Room, so rather than send people away to neighboring establishments to wait and spend $$, they can now send them downstairs. Also, their event space is always booked, so this gives them another option there too. (this is all according to Bruno either in the Register or on KXNO)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Someone asked Ross if Bruno was going to address Skol closing on the radio and Ross said that they are closing down to rebrand. So it sounds like they are still going to have a business at that location.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
from Wini Moranville:

I caught up with FCP principal Jeff Bruning, who explained that last summer when the location became available, they kind of "forced the concept" to fit the space. In the end, while the place got great ratings, in general, people did not get the concept (a tongue-in-cheek take on Viking/Nordic culture, and not necessarily an authentic Scandinavian restaurant).

"If you have to explain the joke, it's not funny," said Bruning.
Full Court Press will open a new concept there in spring. Facebook commenters were bemoaning the rumor that yet another Tex-Mex spot was planned, but Bruning told me, "While the theme is probably not going to be Scandinavian, nothing is definite, yet."

"We've changed the new concept's name at least three times in the last two weeks, so stay tuned,"

https://mailchi.mp/882d91b8b5e6/january ... WTctDLpmAI

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
What "speakeasy/s" are you speaking about in Columbus?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What "speakeasy/s" are you speaking about in Columbus?

Well now that wouldn’t very speakeasy of me would it? But seriously I can’t remember the names I’ve never been that’s not my scene. But I can ask the people that know and get back to you.

Set reminder for 1/22/2021.

good bot.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneFan4

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If fongs in Ankeny is having issues it probably is due to the high cost of rent in the prairie trail area. That was the rumored reason taco hangover closed right next door. That fongs has always been busy every time I've been there.

100%. They need to figure out the rents. I'm bummed about taco hangover.

If Fong's can't make it work it would make them change a lot, because like you said, the place is always packed when I'm there, and the line for pickups always happening especially on weekends.

IMO, part of the appeal of Fong's in the location on 4th St, downtown, in a former Chinese restaurant amid several other things to do within walking distance. I've never been to the one in Ankeny, but it hard to replicate that feel in a new build.

Never been there. Honestly I went once but the line was out the door so I left. The food is the entire appeal for me.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Someone asked Ross if Bruno was going to address Skol closing on the radio and Ross said that they are closing down to rebrand. So it sounds like they are still going to have a business at that location.
Correct. Bruno was on the Morning Rush today and said their are hoping to re-open in April. He didn't say what the theme/name would be, but definitely not viking/Skol.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
That's sad if true. Lola's is good and a nice variety from the rest of Ankeny (= burgers, tacos, Mexican). That whole Prairie Trail 'The District' area is in a pickle - it is an "evening or weekend" area until it develops, but can't develop all at once. I don't know why they don't keep prices low until all fully filled in, the last thing they need is empty storefronts, "momentum" is easy to lose and hard to regain. (Ask the ISU MBB team!)

My guess is the DRA / Albaugh property managers have become too proud of their development too early (It is nice! But also 'The District' = The Residences at The Lofts at SoDaSoPa). The area is packed for the free concerts, etc but needs to mature, and their catering to "upscale" might bite them. I like the idea of a scotch with a haircut, and a cigar store next door - but seriously, how many times a year would I do that? 1? 0.5?

This all ties in with my other other theory that what may work in WDM won't in Ankeny. WDM has people who grew up in DSM, went to Downling, Iowa Law, then Chicago and then back to DSM and want to 'show their status' being 'out'. Whereas Ankeny has people who grew up in Spencer, went to ISU, moved to Ankeny but want want to 'show their roots' by shopping Fareway with coupons and 'staying in' getting Casey's pizza to go in with finished basement or lawn chairs in garage. To a demographer looking at census tracts and income charts they may look more similar than reality.

This is the most accurate post regarding Prairie Trail. DRA owns and JLL (the lovely and talented Meredith Young) are leasing agents. Of course, part of this issue boils down to rents, but DRA has been very aggressive in setting lower rates compared to Elwell properties) in order to get tenants into Prairie Trail and help them get established. The comments above, re: Ankeny, are spot on and create a real headwind for tenants. Basically, Ankeny is a cheaper market than the western "burbs".

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Haha I get that a lot. Some people I know in other areas are always "wait you actually talk to your neighbors?!?! and like know their names and hang out!?"

It works for us since we actually like them. And it's basically a revolving tailgate every other week of the year (except now, f this weather). If we didn't like them I'd be annoyed as **** though.

And it's a breeze to get to Ames on game days!