ESPN+ ISU BB Game Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Congrats to the Big XII and all the conference AD's and Presidents....you've managed to make Big XII Basketball disappear from TV! Quite an accomplishment. David Copperfield would be proud. Meanwhile, ALL Big 10, SEC, ACC and PAC12 games are covered for ALL teams. Hell, even the Big East has a better TV deal.

Unless you're KU or Baylor...or happening to play them, you will never see normal ESPN coverage. That should do wonders for the recruiting efforts of the other 8 teams in the league. Nicely done--can interest you in some land in Florida I'm trying to sell?

Apparently Bob Bowlsbuy and the big 12 office will do anything to help the struggling Jayhawks of Kansas...Bob Bowlsbuy Sucks as much as ESPN+...that he has stuck us with.....

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How many have access to ESPN+ vs traditional ESPN channels? Our old contract with ESPN was so good with every conference game being on a regular ESPN channel, it’s like people forget about that and think it’s ESPN+ or nothing.
Do you think the options were “everything like it was” or “fewer games on cable, more on streaming”? And the conference chose the latter?

I certainly wish that it was only tier 3 games on this network, it obviously isn’t just that. Nobody is excited about it, some of us accept this is the way things are going. If Amazon picked up the rights like has been rumored would you be less annoyed?

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Congrats to the Big XII and all the conference AD's and Presidents....you've managed to make Big XII Basketball disappear from TV! Quite an accomplishment. David Copperfield would be proud. Meanwhile, ALL Big 10, SEC, ACC and PAC12 games are covered for ALL teams. Hell, even the Big East has a better TV deal.

Unless you're KU or Baylor...or happening to play them, you will never see normal ESPN coverage. That should do wonders for the recruiting efforts of the other 8 teams in the league. Nicely done--can interest you in some land in Florida I'm trying to sell?

I'm not a fan of the ESPN+ deal, but to say you can watch the other conferences is not a fair comparison. After football season I cancelled my sports pack that cost $13/month and got rid of the BTN, ACCN and SECN and PAC12.

So paying 4.99 a month for 2 months is a steal to watch the Cyclones. If I were a Hawk fan, I would have to pay the additional 13/month and would be upset I was subsidizing all those other networks.

In fact I had a Hawk fan today make a comment about ESPN+ and I just laughed and said I don't get most of the Hawk games since they are on BTN.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Do you think the options were “everything like it was” or “fewer games on cable, more on streaming”? And the conference chose the latter?

I certainly wish that it was only tier 3 games on this network, it obviously isn’t just that. Nobody is excited about it, some of us accept this is the way things are going. If Amazon picked up the rights like has been rumored would you be less annoyed?

I have no idea what the options were, I’m just saying this is a downgrade and anyone that doesn’t see it that way is blind.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Keep going on your rant, but the Pac12 (and it's billion splinter networks) and ACC Networks barely exist nobody carries them, and BTN is only carried regionally (congrats on being in a B10 region).

Oh and here's how many games each team has on ESPN+ this year:
15 - KSU
10 - OSU, KU
8 - BU
6 - TCU
5 - WVU
4 - ISU
3 - TTU, OU
2 - UT

Most of the teams in the top half have non-con games on ESPN+, KU is really taking one for the team

Funny--I live in the middle of nowhere TN and I get ACC Network, PAC12 Network, Big10 Network and SEC Network....hence my comment. It's not a rant if its true--facts matter. Also--more to the point if you're a 16 year old prospect....how are you finding out about Iowa State--oh, that's right, by plunking down $5 a month for ESPN+ rather than just turning on the TV.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not a fan of the ESPN+ deal, but to say you can watch the other conferences is not a fair comparison. After football season I cancelled my sports pack that cost $13/month and got rid of the BTN, ACCN and SECN and PAC12.

So paying 4.99 a month for 2 months is a steal to watch the Cyclones. If I were a Hawk fan, I would have to pay the additional 13/month and would be upset I was subsidizing all those other networks.

In fact I had a Hawk fan today make a comment about ESPN+ and I just laughed and said I don't get most of the Hawk games since they are on BTN.

It has nothing to do with $'s. The way they are playing this year, they should pay me to watch.

• Funny
Reactions: CyBobby

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Funny--I live in the middle of nowhere TN and I get ACC Network, PAC12 Network, Big10 Network and SEC Network....hence my comment. It's not a rant if its true--facts matter. Also--more to the point if you're a 16 year old prospect....how are you finding out about Iowa State--oh, that's right, by plunking down $5 a month for ESPN+ rather than just turning on the TV.
Prospects probably care about a lot more other aspects than what channel a game is on.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Lmao if you’re a 16 year old you’re finding out about Iowa State basketball from Instagram

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’ll say it again until internet that is fast enough to stream live is universally adopted you can’t go to only streaming for sports.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Lmao if you’re a 16 year old you’re finding out about Iowa State basketball from Instagram

You don’t think exposure helps in recruiting? Playing in prime time TV slots on regular sports channels doesn’t matter? No kids watch Duke on ESPN because they have Instagram? I’m lost.

• Winner
Reactions: CTTB78 and CyBobby

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You don’t think exposure helps in recruiting? Playing in prime time TV slots on regular sports channels doesn’t matter? No kids watch Duke on ESPN because they have Instagram? I’m lost.
Duke played for a championship 35 years ago under K.
I dont know about you but I remember how many channels were around in 85: not many.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Duke played for a championship 35 years ago under K.
I dont know about you but I remember how many channels were around in 85: not many.

How is that relevant today? It’s funny, we brag when we get good exposure on mainstream channels (Gameday for basketball/football, Big Monday, etc) and now that we are on a stream it’s no big deal what channel you are on.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and CyBobby

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How is that relevant today? It’s funny, we brag when we get good exposure on mainstream channels (Gameday for basketball/football, Big Monday, etc) and now that we are on a stream it’s no big deal what channel you are on.
ESPN+ isnt ideal but we are on it for numerous reasons.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have no idea what the options were, I’m just saying this is a downgrade and anyone that doesn’t see it that way is blind.
I really hope that some day you find the person making this argument so you can give them what for.

It’s possible for two things to be true at the same time:
  1. The previous ESPN/Big 12 media agreement was better for the Big 12
  2. ESPN+ is easily accessible to the vast majority of the fan base, accessing streaming media on a TV is not rocket science, and $15 is not going to break you

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
  1. ESPN+ is easily accessible to the vast majority of the fan base, accessing streaming media on a TV is not rocket science, and $15 is not going to break you
And the disdain is not about individual fans not being able to access the game or about the money. It's about taking Iowa State and Big Xii Basketball OFF of NATIONAL TV and localizing it. There were teams playing on ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU that were on in bars and TVS all around the country tonight, but the Iowa State game was not one of them, because nobody puts an ESPN+ App Game on the TV in the Sports Bar or Hotel Bar. That is a shame. Iowa State basketball was marginalized and regionalized tonight. Not sure why people don't get that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And the disdain is not about individual fans not being able to access the game or about the money. It's about taking Iowa State and Big Xii Basketball OFF of NATIONAL TV and localizing it. There were teams playing on ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU that were on in bars and TVS all around the country tonight, but the Iowa State game was not one of them, because nobody puts an ESPN+ App Game on the TV in the Sports Bar or Hotel Bar. That is a shame. Iowa State basketball was regionalized tonight. Not sure why people don't get that.
It's going to get worse before it gets better. The long standing Amazon/Faceook rumours will come into play sometime.
I'm going to deal with it because it makes my school money.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
And the disdain is not about individual fans not being able to access the game or about the money. It's about taking Iowa State and Big Xii Basketball OFF of NATIONAL TV and localizing it. There were teams playing on ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU that were on in bars and TVS all around the country tonight, but the Iowa State game was not one of them, because nobody puts an ESPN+ App Game on the TV in the Sports Bar or Hotel Bar. That is a shame. Iowa State basketball was regionalized tonight. Not sure why people don't get that.
Find me someone who doesn’t get that

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I really hope that some day you find the person making this argument so you can give them what for.

It’s possible for two things to be true at the same time:
  1. The previous ESPN/Big 12 media agreement was better for the Big 12
  2. ESPN+ is easily accessible to the vast majority of the fan base, accessing streaming media on a TV is not rocket science, and $15 is not going to break you

So on point 1 you do admit this is worse for us? And on point 2 only the die-hards will seek out an additional streaming service and games on that service. We are missing marketing and branding opportunities left and right by not being on tv for the casual fan.

• Winner
Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Find me someone who doesn’t get that
You seem to be arguing For ESPN + in point 2. If I misunderstood your point 2, I apologize. Getting a game on an App for $5 is not the same as being on NATIONAL TV. Not anywhere close no matter how inexpensive or easy you think it is. I pony up to a bar in Atlanta on business and ask to put the ISU game, I'm not going to get: "Sure, I'll fire that App right up!" lol.