Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yeah, but then you’d have to raise prices, and can you imagine the outcry from this board?

Exactly! Raising wages doesn't occur in a vacuum. Full Court Press has plenty of experience with the job market and wages and what it take to get and keep good help.

The job market is tight right now. It is the #1 concern of those in the hospitality industry right now.

...and if they raise their prices on their menu items? Then people are going to cut back on eating out.

• Agree
Reactions: Clones1414

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not sure. But she was losing member the Prairie Trail. It is a little cheaper and offers more. Really nice pool. Fitness World in PT always had people in it. I know rent is high but that was what the developer was shooting for. My office is in PT above Fong's, we are doing well but are not a restaurant. Our offices move has been good for us from over by Outback before. I will say that in the afternoon Fong's can be pretty slow and empty.
It's really expensive to keep a pool going year round. I wouldn't say a fitness center that can't keep something like that going is some kind of harbinger of doom for the area. More like they did a poor job doing the affordability analysis before they built.

Last edited:

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Restaurants... A lot of work for not much money. More fail than don't in the first 3 years and those that do survive work on very tight margins.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsageworks%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F01%2Ffinancial-statement-analysis-full-service-restaurants-vs-industry-ttm-npm-e1516999094757.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Yep. We posted at the same time. I have a good "in" with a developer. They have said Lola's is having the same issues.

That's sad if true. Lola's is good and a nice variety from the rest of Ankeny (= burgers, tacos, Mexican). That whole Prairie Trail 'The District' area is in a pickle - it is an "evening or weekend" area until it develops, but can't develop all at once. I don't know why they don't keep prices low until all fully filled in, the last thing they need is empty storefronts, "momentum" is easy to lose and hard to regain. (Ask the ISU MBB team!)

My guess is the DRA / Albaugh property managers have become too proud of their development too early (It is nice! But also 'The District' = The Residences at The Lofts at SoDaSoPa). The area is packed for the free concerts, etc but needs to mature, and their catering to "upscale" might bite them. I like the idea of a scotch with a haircut, and a cigar store next door - but seriously, how many times a year would I do that? 1? 0.5?

This all ties in with my other other theory that what may work in WDM won't in Ankeny. WDM has people who grew up in DSM, went to Downling, Iowa Law, then Chicago and then back to DSM and want to 'show their status' being 'out'. Whereas Ankeny has people who grew up in Spencer, went to ISU, moved to Ankeny but want want to 'show their roots' by shopping Fareway with coupons and 'staying in' getting Casey's pizza to go in with finished basement or lawn chairs in garage. To a demographer looking at census tracts and income charts they may look more similar than reality.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Womp womp! I would've expected much better interior, given that it is the Full Court Press people who own Royal Mile and Hessen Haus along with many of the other "cool theme bars" like El Bait Shop and Iowa Taproom etc.

So much potential but...that just looks like standard bar furniture with TVs and some mediocre wall hangings on the drywall. Underwhelming, almost...lame! Would've expected at least more of a Hessen Haus or Red Monk bar look with some long "old wood" tables, tapestries, etc a la Beowulf, Lord of the Rings Rohan scenes, etc. Yes "it's easy to spend other people's money" but hope it will get better over time! (I'll still go :)o_O:rolleyes:)

Something like this:
View attachment 65396

The location was out of the way but I think it maybe could have overcame that as a "destination" if it was as "complete" of a theme as the other Full Court Press places (initial reaction post above). I guess I like their "Epcot-ness"...

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
That's sad if true. Lola's is good and a nice variety from the rest of Ankeny (= burgers, tacos, Mexican). That whole Prairie Trail 'The District' area is in a pickle - it is an "evening or weekend" area until it develops, but can't develop all at once. I don't know why they don't keep prices low until all fully filled in, the last thing they need is empty storefronts, "momentum" is easy to lose and hard to regain. (Ask the ISU MBB team!)

My guess is the DRA / Albaugh property managers have become too proud of their development too early (It is nice! But also 'The District' = The Residences at The Lofts at SoDaSoPa). The area is packed for the free concerts, etc but needs to mature, and their catering to "upscale" might bite them. I like the idea of a scotch with a haircut, and a cigar store next door - but seriously, how many times a year would I do that? 1? 0.5?

This all ties in with my other other theory that what may work in WDM won't in Ankeny. WDM has people who grew up in DSM, went to Downling, Iowa Law, then Chicago and then back to DSM and want to 'show their status' being 'out'. Whereas Ankeny has people who grew up in Spencer, went to ISU, moved to Ankeny but want want to 'show their roots' by shopping Fareway with coupons and 'staying in' getting Casey's pizza to go in with finished basement or lawn chairs in garage. To a demographer looking at census tracts and income charts they may look more similar than reality.

Just because some people prefer cheap options for haircuts like a Great Clips, doesnt mean there aren't plenty that prefer the additional amenities offered by a place like S&S. And seriously, who gets a haircut only once a year. :p

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

While “The District” has potential, it currently lacks a few important things to help it get over the edge.

* connectivity to surrounding neighborhoods - they need more intense rooftop development right up to the edges of this area that encourages people to walk/bike and make if feel like a part of their neighborhood. At current, it still feels and operates like a place you must drive to. While you need some regulars driving in, you also need a ready base that is always there for this type of new urbanism development.

* they need to encourage housing above some of the commercial buildings to create more regular foot traffic. Is there any housing in multi-story building there? I don’t think so….and that is a major oversight.

* the developer should find a street or two to divide up the commercial lots and let smaller developers come in and build their own buildings. This would create variety (like you see in traditional downtowns) and will make the area seem less planned out and more organic in nature.

Reactions: k123

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Dear god, we started out in WDSM while we were looking for houses and this is 100% spot on. We are now in Ankeny, and I think you are speaking directly to our whole subdivision. Ankeny is really family friendly and I feel more people are connected to their neighbors than WDSM. Around our area almost year round there is something going on within a block or two of us, a fire pit, poker in the garage, gaming in finished basements, drinking beer in the driveway, holidays, women playing bunco. We like to go out every so often but when we do, we are usually meeting friends who don't live in Ankeny so end up in other parts of the city.

• Agree
Reactions: k123 and JP4CY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I mean those two are just different styles of pizza than what fongs is going for. Doesn't mean they are of lower quality.

I never understand when people try to compare places like these, they are such different places, pizza styles, and environments. All 3 of these places are really good, sometime you feel like more of a classic chicago style, sometimes a creative asian fusion inspired pizza. What next, New York style. Get outta here!

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Dear god, we started out in WDSM while we were looking for houses and this is 100% spot on. We are now in Ankeny, and I think you are speaking directly to our whole subdivision. Ankeny is really family friendly and I feel more people are connected to their neighbors than WDSM. Around our area almost year round there is something going on within a block or two of us, a fire pit, poker in the garage, gaming in finished basements, drinking beer in the driveway, holidays, women playing bunco. We like to go out every so often but when we do, we are usually meeting friends who don't live in Ankeny so end up in other parts of the city.

This sounds like my nightmare. WESTSIDE!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This sounds like my nightmare. WESTSIDE!!!

Haha I get that a lot. Some people I know in other areas are always "wait you actually talk to your neighbors?!?! and like know their names and hang out!?"

It works for us since we actually like them. And it's basically a revolving tailgate every other week of the year (except now, f this weather). If we didn't like them I'd be annoyed as **** though.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

I grew up in Eldridge not Spencer, how dare you sir

I can't speak to the demographics of WDM but I agree with all the Ankeny comments

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t wanna go there but what westsiders think of Ankeny is far worse than what Ankenyites apparently think of west siders.

Reactions: k123

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron