Another 15 point loss

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
It was to keep him. Not sure what you wanted him to do

Let him walk. A .500 conference record with one fun weekend followed by a no show in the dance wasn't that impressive.

Everyone saw the losing season coming two years ago. It was the gap in talent left by Fred quitting recruiting a year before he left. I fully supported Prohm through that and was optimistic about the future with the talent he had coming in.

Last year should have been better. We were wildly inconsistent and the wins in KC seem to have masked/made some forget those problems. Had he built on the conference tournament title with a good showing in the NCAA tournament I could see your point. He didn't. With that in mind, I think you're overselling how upset a lot of people would have been if Prohm left on his own. There were a LOT of pissed off Cyclone fans after that floater we left in the bowl against tOSU.

Prohm has been great at capitalizing on getting hot in early March and propping himself up on that success. His larger body of work isn't that awe inspiring. Good or at least above average? Most of the time. Irreplaceable? No, and I don't MOST Cyclone fans would have come after JP with pitchforks and torches if he somehow got away.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I'm thinking it would be more the "he let Cael, Fred and now Prohm get away" narrative
I think you’re right that had Prohm left and we had this season many, many fans would be lamenting his leaving. That said, no way he would be in the Fred, Carl category.

Whether it was simply pining for Fred for some or his often head scratching personnel management, doubts regarding Prohm have been around his entire isu tenure.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This won't be a popular opinion but so be it. ISU fans would be much happier as long as we don't lose at home. Hilton magic is something we all love and losing at home just ticks us off. Ever since Johnny came our thing to hang our hat on is to be tough at home.

We all want to make the tourney but on a bad year we at least want to defend home court. A .500 record is a bad yr for Cyclone basketball and losing at home just makes it worse.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This won't be a popular opinion but so be it. ISU fans would be much happier as long as we don't lose at home. Hilton magic is something we all love and losing at home just ticks us off. Ever since Johnny came our thing to hang our hat on is to be tough at home.

We all want to make the tourney but on a bad year we at least want to defend home court. A .500 record is a bad yr for Cyclone basketball and losing at home just makes it worse.

Having a really good record at Hilton likely means at least a winning record on the season.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

That's one of my biggest issues with Prohm. Hilton Magic lives on in name only. We used to have a really good chance to beat pretty much anyone no matter what kind of team we had. Now? FAMU.

Mississippi Clone1

Jul 19, 2017
I think you’re right that had Prohm left and we had this season many, many fans would be lamenting his leaving. That said, no way he would be in the Fred, Carl category.

Whether it was simply pining for Fred for some or his often head scratching personnel management, doubts regarding Prohm have been around his entire isu tenure.

Carl??

Attachments

• carl-spackler.jpg
    carl-spackler.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think having an off year like this year is fine but what is worrying is that it doesn't look like they will be better next year unless the Freshman surprise or guys on the roster take giant leaps. It might take both.