Toxic Boss - How do you cope?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Kinda same story for me. Boss was doinking my co-worker and her husband worked about 10 feet away and happened to be 1 of my friends for a few years. But at the end of the day he was a bad boss and created an atmosphere of distrust and apathy neither of which I will tolerate. I won't opine on the morality.

My health suffered - huge blood pressure spike, weight gain, anxiety, low-grade depression... but as I said above I don't tolerate this stuff.

Mine wasn't a bad boss, but instead was a good company that went bad and just turned generally terrible. Outsourcing was the key cog, I was the leftovers. Almost everyone else was simply let go.

My health results were similar to yours - blood pressure through the roof, anxiety, depression. It happened so slow over the course of a couple of years that I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I woke up one morning and realized I had turned into a miserable SOB, and the job was the single reason why.

I took an unscheduled week off, which is something I never do. About six minutes into that week off I had decided that I was going to quit. A few days into that week off, I felt immensely better. Quit the following Monday.

Except that didn't work out. Due to all of the changes they had made over the last couple of years, I had morphed from a cog in the machine to the only guy that knew anything. They asked me to give them 2 months instead of the normal two weeks to figure something out. I told them I would give them six weeks, I would show up to the morning meeting, I would make sure email was up to date and knock out some things, then I was going to check out for the day after a couple hours of work. I was salaried and they agreed.

During the six weeks, they continued to beg and plead. They asked for a number to keep me around and I told them I wasn't interested. I was done. They kept pushing. I told I would give them six months, and I gave them a big number. Apparently it wasn't big enough - they immediately agreed. I had screwed up. The money would be great, but I still had to ****ing work there. But I could survive six months, right?

Those six months almost killed me. If I didn't work all six months, I forfeited the bonus. I did still get my normal salary, but after about four months I was ready to crack up. I completely shut down. I didn't felt like I did a damn thing the last two months but no one said a word.

I made it the six months, and I got my money (though that was a struggle and lawyers were called but never retained). I "worked" another two weeks and realized this was stupid. I quit again. Another s***storm followed. I told them no numbers, no two months, no nothing - two weeks and I was done. They said they didn't expect me to quit after paying me the bonus. I asked them what was different from six months ago. Silence.....

I was a wreck. It's been a year and I'm almost back to normal, but it has taken a lot of mental conditioning. I had a lot of bad habits to break, my work ethic and confidence was shattered. Lots of personal retraining has happened and I feel good in the morning. I hadn't in a long time.

At crappy job, I started at 6am. I realized I was staying up until 2, 3 or 4 in the morning...because the moment I fell asleep, the very next thing to happen was that crappy job. The longer I stayed up, the further away it was. That is when I knew I was completely screwed.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Kinda same story for me. Boss was doinking my co-worker and her husband worked about 10 feet away and happened to be 1 of my friends for a few years. But at the end of the day he was a bad boss and created an atmosphere of distrust and apathy neither of which I will tolerate. I won't opine on the morality.

My health suffered - huge blood pressure spike, weight gain, anxiety, low-grade depression... but as I said above I don't tolerate this stuff.

I started an internal job search than started an external job search. I also had a handful of private meetings with my VP and my HR rep to talk solely about bad bossing - not the shenanigans. After an HR meeting my rep told me to delete the meeting invite - which I didn't. I also amassed a sizable file as I felt my job was in jeopardy and I wasn't going down for him. My VP said that if people quit talking about the problem it would go away - seriously.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I received an unsolicited text with no number asking if it was normal for my boss and my co-worker to be together at some airport hotel in the middle of the day. The text had pictures of both their cars in the parking lot and they had no reason to be there - other than maybe the sheets were clean.

Sent the text to my VP and said I'm sick of the BS and that I'd let him have the information over the weekend but the next Monday I was going to HR with my entire file which he - my VP - figured very large in.

Monday came and my boss was walked out around 10am. My co-worker who was on a temp job elsewhere in the company was tracked down and walked out as well.

So a director job opened up that day in my department and I was a very logical applicant and under other circumstances would have been appointed to the gig but the job was posted 3 months later. I applied, and was granted an interview. A few days before the interview I pulled out because if I DIDN'T get the job I didn't want to think it was because I put my VP in a corner - which I did and it was intentional.

So interview, no promotion and I'm in the same department with a new boss who had no experience with what we went through. Same job as well but I have a retirement date later this year!

To end - I've never failed an ethical test and have sacrificed myself at times to do the right thing. I look myself in the mirror every morning and other than being fatter than I want, I'm very happy with what I see.

Life is too short and the stress that some of us feel in these circumstances isn't worth it. Do the right thing for your company but always do the right thing for yourself. Money and title is garbage if you carry the stress and other ****** health impacts that goes along with some of it.

The boss was doinking your co-worker and her husband? That sounds incredibly awkward.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the old hookers and blow is the correct answer. Order a nice hooker on company credit and tell her to bring some coke. Bone the hooker on the bosses desk, throw the coke in her back cabinet drawer and call it in your first morning gone.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Interesting, very, very interesting. Sounds like she wanted to seduce you.

Also, sounds like Jennifer Aniston's character in Horrible Bosses. Is she hot? Pics will be required to assist (if they aren't appropriate for this board feel free to PM them to me).
That’s what I thought too. She WANTS his ding’a long, but the question is she hot or nah? Is he married or he’s like me enjoying the strip clubs here in Houston if I’m not in the Dominican Republic?

• Funny
Reactions: Peter

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Unless you are making stupid money which you couldn’t make elsewhere (unlikely) and could tough it out (again unlikely), what is the benefit to staying your current situation?

My guess is there aren’t many, if any and the only reason to stay is uncertainty and hesitant to go change. Which really isn’t a good reason to stay.

I’m with everyone else. Quit and go find something else where you don’t have to put up with that ****.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Lol, I did discover after starting that she has a reputation for hiring hot younger men who she can parade around at art galleries, etc. I’m not sure I fit the bill, but she has taken me to several opening already so maybe that’s my role. She also ruffled my hair the day after a haircut which is when I new something was seriously ******.
Dude, if you are not in a relationship, hit that sh!t and run. Life is short.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Don't let a boss or anyone decide how your day is going to go. Life is too short. My first job after college I would stress 24/7 and had to find safe havens to give me a few hours to not have anxiety here and there. Will never go back to that lifestyle.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter and Cy$

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Do you meditate? Sticking to it is hell for the first couple of weeks but you'll start to look forward to it day in and day out. It will really help with your stress levels. I sympathize with you on making the dumb mistakes. I get crazy brain fog when I'm stressed and then it feeds into anxiety/depression and it's a vicious cycle.

Like I said, try meditating, make sure you're eating enough healthy fats, workout. See if that helps but the important thing is you're being proactive searching for another job rather than just ******** about it. Good on you

Even if you like your boss and coworkers eating healthy, sleeping well, and exercising is pretty critical.

About five years ago I switched from a pretty normal workload to a ridiculous schedule and work load. "I don't have time to exercise" was completely wrong, the time spent taking care of myself comes back 10x in my work performance and actually being able to enjoy the little free time I do have.

Depending on the job posture can be pretty huge too. The standing desk thing is for real and not some weird trend. I don't know how I got by without it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: twojman and Doc

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Mine wasn't a bad boss, but instead was a good company that went bad and just turned generally terrible. Outsourcing was the key cog, I was the leftovers. Almost everyone else was simply let go.

My health results were similar to yours - blood pressure through the roof, anxiety, depression. It happened so slow over the course of a couple of years that I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I woke up one morning and realized I had turned into a miserable SOB, and the job was the single reason why.

I took an unscheduled week off, which is something I never do. About six minutes into that week off I had decided that I was going to quit. A few days into that week off, I felt immensely better. Quit the following Monday.

Except that didn't work out. Due to all of the changes they had made over the last couple of years, I had morphed from a cog in the machine to the only guy that knew anything. They asked me to give them 2 months instead of the normal two weeks to figure something out. I told them I would give them six weeks, I would show up to the morning meeting, I would make sure email was up to date and knock out some things, then I was going to check out for the day after a couple hours of work. I was salaried and they agreed.

During the six weeks, they continued to beg and plead. They asked for a number to keep me around and I told them I wasn't interested. I was done. They kept pushing. I told I would give them six months, and I gave them a big number. Apparently it wasn't big enough - they immediately agreed. I had screwed up. The money would be great, but I still had to ****ing work there. But I could survive six months, right?

Those six months almost killed me. If I didn't work all six months, I forfeited the bonus. I did still get my normal salary, but after about four months I was ready to crack up. I completely shut down. I didn't felt like I did a damn thing the last two months but no one said a word.

I made it the six months, and I got my money (though that was a struggle and lawyers were called but never retained). I "worked" another two weeks and realized this was stupid. I quit again. Another s***storm followed. I told them no numbers, no two months, no nothing - two weeks and I was done. They said they didn't expect me to quit after paying me the bonus. I asked them what was different from six months ago. Silence.....

I was a wreck. It's been a year and I'm almost back to normal, but it has taken a lot of mental conditioning. I had a lot of bad habits to break, my work ethic and confidence was shattered. Lots of personal retraining has happened and I feel good in the morning. I hadn't in a long time.

At crappy job, I started at 6am. I realized I was staying up until 2, 3 or 4 in the morning...because the moment I fell asleep, the very next thing to happen was that crappy job. The longer I stayed up, the further away it was. That is when I knew I was completely screwed.

Managing a team of outsourced workers overseas beats losing a job, but not by much and it's basically a stay of execution on a sinking ship.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace