This is why Prohm must go........

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was just about to put this in here.

My comments:

1. You couldn't pay me to rewatch that game against TTU or even Baylor, I'd probably go crazy.

2. There might be little bit of a reason why we were given 15 wide open 3's. However if you're at this level, you have to shoot that shot.

3. There isn't one guy on the roster besides Tyrese Halliburton that can consistently knock down a 3. The other guy's shots haven't been even close.. I mean for God sakes, Lewis comes into the game, his first shot is a 3 and misses the entire hoop by about 3 feet. Most of the 3 point shots we're taking are so bad, we don't even have a chance at an offensive rebound!

4. You can point to bad shooters as one of the reasons why we're struggling terribly, however, who was the one who recruited these guys? As a junior and a sophomore, Zion Griffin and Terrence Lewis really struggle against high level competition. But, they have to be played because we literally have no one else to throw in there.

5. Prentiss Nixon should have a limit on 3 point attempts. It's bad and I mean it's really really bad. He averages the 2nd most attempts behind Halliburton, yet is the worst 3 point shooter on the team. How is that allowed? How as a head coach do you allow something like that to happen? Is it because there are no other options? I would honestly like that question to be asked and see what answer he would give. And I understand if you're going to play him he has to take a couple to keep the defense honest, but averaging the second most 3's on a team is not keeping the defense honest, it's actively hunting your shot. Lol

The bolded really is the beginning, middle and end of this argument. This isn't an NBA type situation where a bad owner/GM can stick a coach with a crappy roster. He's in charge of who he brings in. If we have a team full of guys that can't shoot you can't chalk it up to bad luck. You didn't bring in anyone who could shoot, or develop the guys you have into shooters.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The bolded really is the beginning, middle and end of this argument. This isn't an NBA type situation where a bad owner/GM can stick a coach with a crappy roster. He's in charge of who he brings in. If we have a team full of guys that can't shoot you can't chalk it up to bad luck. You didn't bring in anyone who could shoot, or develop the guys you have into shooters.
Absolutely. And it certainly can be noted too that he lost some high level players, but that's part of the job. He was the one who took Javahn Johnson and used up a scholarship for this year that would've been able to play. He was the one who brought in Nixon for his "defense", when in reality he's hurting the team worse than if we would've brought in anyone with a heartbeat that could consistently knock down a 3 point shot.

Maybe Prohm threw all of his eggs into next year's basket, but boy losing Halliburton next year is going to probably set this team back again because we lose one of our two true leaders on the team and our no doubt best player. The team is going to be back to square one again and is going to be very very young. From a pure talent standpoint, we'll be better. Guys will be older and we're bringing in some highly recruited players, but Prohm has sure put himself into a tough situation.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: isu83 and Cyfanisu

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Hey, as atrocious as the team 3P shooting may be this season (0.309), Prohm's conference win % these past 3 seasons is a tad higher (0.341). That's something to build upon! #silverlinings

• Funny
Reactions: IceCyIce

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
In all honesty, man, I just hope for a little momentum to end the season. There is no postseason awaiting us, but I'll be pleased with just a little momentum into the conference tourney to gain some confidence in our young guards and get some pieces settled before Foster et al arrive next season.

Maybe Tyrese returns to help right the ship? I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

Prohm will get the 2020 season to right this ship regardless. I don't really know if it's deserved, but probably a little staff re-shuffling will be coming, and as in flux as the roster has been for a few years, and Pollard's re-indexing coming in 2021, some continuity, reliving a few tournament championships, and a high-ranking recruiting class will be a better selling point for JP than the unknown of a new staff with even more roster defections.

Then again, unless Otz wants to come home...he's heating up a bit in Vegas.

Reactions: stuclone and NWICY

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
It's difficult to be good at a sport when you aren't good at the main objective of putting a ball through a hoop.
iu

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In all honesty, man, I just hope for a little momentum to end the season. There is no postseason awaiting us, but I'll be pleased with just a little momentum into the conference tourney to gain some confidence in our young guards and get some pieces settled before Foster et al arrive next season.

Maybe Tyrese returns to help right the ship? I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

Prohm will get the 2020 season to right this ship regardless. I don't really know if it's deserved, but probably a little staff re-shuffling will be coming, and as in flux as the roster has been for a few years, and Pollard's re-indexing coming in 2021, some continuity, reliving a few tournament championships, and a high-ranking recruiting class will be a better selling point for JP than the unknown of a new staff with even more roster defections.

Something to help people (including me) stay sane:

Last year, West Virginia was 8-4 going into conference play. They then started 0-5 in conference play, including a 31 point loss @ TCU. They beat KU at home, then lost three in a row. They beat OU at home, then lost 5 in a row with another 31 point loss @ Texas Tech, a 22 point loss at home to Texas, and a 25 point loss @ KU. They went 2-2 in their last 4 games to round out the rest of the season.

West Virginia did not win one away game all year long. Not one. They won one game on a neutral site at the beginning of the year and then stole two wins in the Big 12 tournament. They played in the CBI and got beat down by Grand Canyon 109-91 in the second round.. at home.

West Virginia is currently 14-3 and ranked #14 in the nation.

That is how quickly things can flip. WVU was not good last year, but towards the end of the year started playing a little bit better. They got a little bit of momentum, got some guys out of the program that were hurting the team, brought in some good recruits, and now they're playing very well. Hopefully.. this season takes a turn for the better, we can get some momentum and the guys on the team next year with the recruits coming in are able to right the ship.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Last year, West Virginia was 8-4 going into conference play. They then started 0-5 in conference play, including a 31 point loss @ TCU. They beat KU at home, then lost three in a row. They beat OU at home, then lost 5 in a row with another 31 point loss @ Texas Tech, a 22 point loss at home to Texas, and a 25 point loss @ KU. They went 2-2 in their last 4 games to round out the rest of the season.

West Virginia did not win one away game all year long. Not one. They won one game on a neutral site at the beginning of the year and then stole two wins in the Big 12 tournament. They played in the CBI and got beat down by Grand Canyon 109-91 in the second round.. at home.

That is how quickly things can flip. WVU was not good last year, but towards the end of the year started playing a little bit better. They got a little bit of momentum, got some guys out of the program that were hurting the team, brought in some good recruits, and now they're playing very well. Hopefully.. this season takes a turn for the better, we can get some momentum and the guys on the team next year with the recruits coming in are able to right the ship.
I'd have more confidence in someone of Huggins caliber to turn it around than Prohm.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'd have more confidence in someone of Huggins caliber to turn it around than Prohm.

Huggins also has a system predicated on attitude and when he gets the guys, he wins a lot. When he doesn't, it goes hard the other way. I really thought Prohms system would shallow out those lows.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

941900916.jpg.0.jpg

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019

LOL, I hope you’re right, but Bob Huggins is in a whole other category than Prohm as a coach. In fact, I consider Huggins, Scott Drew, Beard, and especially Self to be vastly superior coaches compared to Prohm. Yes, I know that Prohm has beaten these coaches teams before, but I’m talking about at their coaching careers as a whole.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: socalcy and isu83

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wish!

LOL, I hope you’re right, but Bob Huggins is in a whole other category than Prohm as a coach. In fact, I consider Huggins, Scott Drew, Beard, and especially Self to be vastly superior coaches compared to Prohm. Yes, I know that Prohm has beaten these coaches teams before, but I’m talking about at their coaching careers as a whole.
Yeah Huggins is no doubt a better coach. I was just talking about how different one year can be than the next. Just some perspective. Obviously we know that considering the difference between last year's and this year's team.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu