Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
They had 88 IIRC. That's honestly probably too many. I mean, I love that many choices, but probably more than they needed.
They are at 44 now I believe.

Your probably right if they rotate taps but Fongs definitely caters to a crowd that likes to try new things so less is not better.
Anyway I hope they don’t close. It would be a big loss with all the other closings in the area.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Who owns the Prairie Trail properties? Is the market really driving costs that high?

I wonder if the city has anything to say about it if businesses are hurt because of the rent costs. FW is probably losing my membership because I have no desire to go to the north branch (less convenient for me, and will probably be a zoo with the consolidation).

Here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-173751.png
    Screenshot_20200119-173751.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 142

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Phone number and email address isn't enough?

Baller must be a behind the scenes guy

giphy.gif

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I hope the PT Fong's location makes it. That area is finally coming into its own, it'd be a shame if a majority of the early residents close up shop.

Counter productive, but our Friday routine was often to get a workout in at Fitness World and then hit up Fongs. The exciting life of a family man...

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The restaurant business is a tight margin have to do everything right to make it go. The upfront cost and high rent cost in Metro DSM makes it even more difficult.

I can't speak for metro DSM, but a couple articles (I'll try to find ) have pointed out that DSM is one of the cities with the highest # of restaurants per capita in the US...so something must be pretty favorable about the environment here.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It’s not a great location as of now. That much is true.

I think most restaurateurs are looking realistically for a good location. How many are really "great" and if they are, now much is rent and can they afford "great"?

Again...you have to ignore Truman's success and Mad Meatballs to make the claim that this location isn't good enough to run a successful establishment.

Will it get better over time? Of course, given all the development going around it.

• Creative
Reactions: CyDude16

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm hearing horror stories from restaurant owners and managers about being able to hire good staff.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think some of it is rent based costs. Fitness World is out because of that.

Fitness world is out because of the close competition with Prairie Trail at DMACC. The owner cut the losses in Members and added onto the one in North Ankeny.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So rent hasn't gone up at all?

Not sure. But she was losing member the Prairie Trail. It is a little cheaper and offers more. Really nice pool. Fitness World in PT always had people in it. I know rent is high but that was what the developer was shooting for. My office is in PT above Fong's, we are doing well but are not a restaurant. Our offices move has been good for us from over by Outback before. I will say that in the afternoon Fong's can be pretty slow and empty.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY