Another 15 point loss

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Good coaches can anticipate and re-load for roster losses, with minimal impact to performance. I still don’t get why CSP got a “pass” for his 17-18 team that got dead last in the big 12, when he had over 2 years to recruit and prepare for it. I don’t think the Iowa State basketball program should ever be in the basement of the big 12. We should ALWYS be in the top half of the big 12. No excuses.
You can have a down year, as long as it's an outlier. It happens to programs all the time. Look at UNC right now.. they are right along with us as being incredibly down. The difference is that this type of season is incredibly rare for them but for us it's 2 out of the last 3 years. Next year will be a make or break year for Coach Prohm. If we make the tournament next year with an extremely young team, Steve stays. If we don't.. he's most likely gone.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good coaches can anticipate and re-load for roster losses, with minimal impact to performance. I still don’t get why CSP got a “pass” for his 17-18 team that got dead last in the big 12, when he had over 2 years to recruit and prepare for it. I don’t think the Iowa State basketball program should ever be in the basement of the big 12. We should ALWYS be in the top half of the big 12. No excuses.

Unfortunately ISU is not a blueblood and whether we like it or not its not easy to just reload. It's never been easy if you've been following ISU. Hoiberg did it through transfers before transfers became a thing....he couldn't do it now if he was still here. I agree, the expectation should be fighting for an NCAA tournament bid/top half of Big 12 every year. If Prohm doesn't do that next year, I think he's gone.

As for the 17'-18' year, I think most people understand how unique the situation was. Prohm did have time to prepare, but he was way behind the wheel with A. Hoiberg leaving at a very tough time for recruiting and B. Hoiberg basically missed a year of recruiting that set the program back. That unfortunately doesn't always rear its ugly head until down the road.

• Informative

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don’t think we expect to do as well as Chris beard, although it would be nice. But the expectation is that we should not be basement dwellers of the big 12 two out of three years

Agreed which is why I'm sure Prohm's lease is shortening.

It's a tough balance. You want to give coaches enough time to show players/fans you're committed....its sucks for recruits to want to play for a school where the school is known for replacing coaches all the time. However, you also need to make sure you clean house if it's apparently not going to get better....

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Unfortunately ISU is not a blueblood and whether we like it or not its not easy to just reload. It's never been easy if you've been following ISU. Hoiberg did it through transfers before transfers became a thing....he couldn't do it now if he was still here. I agree, the expectation should be fighting for an NCAA tournament bid/top half of Big 12 every year. If Prohm doesn't do that next year, I think he's gone.

As for the 17'-18' year, I think most people understand how unique the situation was. Prohm did have time to prepare, but he was way behind the wheel with A. Hoiberg leaving at a very tough time for recruiting and B. Hoiberg basically missed a year of recruiting that set the program back. That unfortunately doesn't always rear its ugly head until down the road.
Not only did Hoiberg not give Steve time for recruiting, but people also have to remember that Hoiberg changed the landscape of Iowa State basketball. He made them relevant. So, when he left, I can assume recruits were a bit reluctant in going to Iowa State right away because Hoiberg was gone.

Now, with that being said, it's still Prohm's job to recruit and the blame still deserves to be on him for that '17 / '18 year. He definitely made up for it by being able to bring in THT, Tyrese, Conditt, and Shayok and having a pretty good year last year, but when 5 players leave whether for graduating or to go to the league, it's going to be an up-hill battle to try and get back to where you were the year before.

I think that Prohm knows he struggles with recruiting on the fly. He's had some very good recruiting cycles, but also has struggled when a curve ball gets thrown at him. What if a couple of the guys next year do extremely well, we make a splash in the tournament or do very well, and another two guys leave? I just don't have much confidence in Prohm with how he he's handled guys leaving when he didn't expect them to.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I actually wonder if the 17/18 team could have been better, like more NIT level.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I actually wonder if the 17/18 team could have been better, like more NIT level.
I honestly think at this point very point in the season, a fully healthy '17-'18 team would beat this current team comfortably. That '17-'18 team had 3 guys that were true threats from the 3 point line, while this current team has 1. Lard was also playing at a very high level. I think without some of the injuries that team might've gotten close to an NIT bid, however this year's team will not even get close.

With how we're playing and shooting, I don't think we get above 12 wins this season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's one thing to miss the Dance 2-outta-3 years; it's a whole new abyss-world when you don't make the NIT ?@?
This is essentially where I'm at as well. I was confident this team would start playing better and the shooting woes would diminish and we'd be just outside the bubble and end up making the NIT. The reality of it all is we're awful. We're flat out awful and quite possibly could be one of the worst P-5 teams in college basketball. That is unacceptable and a reason why Prohm is starting to get criticism.

If we were struggling but were competing, making open shots, playing hard, and the outcome was a respectable loss, the criticism towards Prohm would be completely different. But, we're not competing for full games, we're not making open shots, and it seems as if we're not playing hard for full games. Because of that, we're getting embarrassed against teams that play well against us.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
This is essentially where I'm at as well. I was confident this team would start playing better and the shooting woes would diminish and we'd be just outside the bubble and end up making the NIT. The reality of it all is we're awful. We're flat out awful and quite possibly could be one of the worst P-5 teams in college basketball. That is unacceptable and a reason why Prohm is starting to get criticism.

If we were struggling but were competing, making open shots, playing hard, and the outcome was a respectable loss, the criticism towards Prohm would be completely different. But, we're not competing for full games, we're not making open shots, and it seems as if we're not playing hard for full games. Because of that, we're getting embarrassed against teams that play well against us.
And all of the losses at Hilton, some of them blow out losses, are so disappointing. We got spoiled the last 3-4 years of CFH tenure with consistently nationally ranked teams and only losing one game/year at Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Not happy with results this season, but a lot of our fans seem to be a tad fickle over this. If we don't hit shots (many were good/open looks from running an offense) you're not going to beat very many teams period. I think you gotta give Prohm a bit more time and see what he can do this summer/next year then make a decision. People forget how much we lost from last season.
Are we getting good open shots because our offense is working, or are we getting good open shots because our opponents know we can't hit anything and can just pack in the paint and let us jack up 3s because we can't hit them even when wide open?

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Well unfortunately our fan base needs to get over the fact that we haven't been doing as well as Tech and not everyone has a Chris Beard. I'm not giving up on Prohm yet but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't switch up some assistants or get more of an xs and os guy for next year. My point is I'm not going to just abandoned him or the program. Fan stands for fanatic. Gotta be there thru thick and thin if nothing else but to cheer the players on who wear the name of the school I love.

Texas Tech literally had no basketball history prior to Beard getting there. They were traditionally horrible.

If we are at the point as a program where we are saying "hey, temper your expectations if you think we can be like Texas Tech" then what are we even doing?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Pollard doesn't extend Prohm, he leaves to go to Alabama and then we suck this year. I wonder what the Pollard narrative would be in that situation

So we are to then laud Jamie for extending Prohm, still sucking this year and putting us in a much more difficult position to move on and try and get this program righted?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Texas Tech literally had no basketball history prior to Beard getting there. They were traditionally horrible.

If we are at the point as a program where we are saying "hey, temper your expectations if you think we can be like Texas Tech" then what are we even doing?

They've had multiple sweet 16 appearances before Beard.....not sure how that is literally no basketball history

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I just think it's funny that we are a school that has always prided ourselves on our basketball program. A good tradition, great fans. We've put double-digit players in the NBA over the course of the last 5 years.

Yet despite this, all the sudden some people on here want to act like it's some impossibility to sustain success here. Like it's an unrealistic expectation to expect better than the bottom of the Big 12 2 out of the last 3 years.

This is a good basketball job. This is a traditionally good basketball program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron