This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I think in general the confidence thing is overblown. Every guy on the team has been dominating basketball since they were in 7th grade. I bet 80% think they’ll be in the NBA some day. Only times I’ll buy it is with guys like Grill/Griffin/Lewis who come in and get maybe 1 shot a game and hope to God they make it.

Hell, if I go shoot for the first time in 2 years and make a few I’m pretty sure I’m the second coming of Steph Curry.
I agree. It's not a confidence issue, nor an issue of lack of skill, it's a rhythm and momentum issue. Our coach needs to have a Plan B, and thinking putting different players on the court, but doing the same thing that's not working is Plan B is ridiculous. I also feel bad for the players who get one shot and if missed come out. Also ridiculous. Try a different offense, change momentum, find a rhythm, shots will start falling.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
It is a single data point that holds less positive value than the Florida A&M game holds negative value. For example in football a loss to UNI (post first year) tells you more than a win against a highly ranked But grieving OSU.

That’s not what the original post was. It was whether Prohm can outcoach other coaches in the league since he has the “second least experience” in the league. That’s suggests he cannot outcoach others. But we did beat OU. So did he outcoach Krueger or was it a game that ISU made shots and got stops which led to the win.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That’s not what the original post was. It was whether Prohm can outcoach other coaches in the league since he has the “second least experience” in the league. That’s suggests he cannot outcoach others. But we did beat OU. So did he outcoach Krueger or was it a game that ISU made shots and got stops which led to the win.

We shot unexpectedly well. It was a really fun, flukish game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We shot unexpectedly well. It was a really fun, flukish game.

We shot 37%. While that’s unexpectedly well for us, it’s hardly flukish in the grand scheme. I’d imagine the guys expected to be an average shooting team and instead we are downright awful. If we shoot decent from 3 (35%ish) we will win a lot of games. It changes everything in an offense predicated on spacing.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
And after going 0/7 yesterday Nixon is down to 23% from 3 this year. I'm hoping Steve has seen that Nixon is not a difference maker and starts giving more of his minutes to Jackson and Grill. Develop these guys for next year.

Yep. Doesn’t bring anything to the table offensively and he’s a liability on the perimeter. I’d start Lewis and play him at the 4 though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
One thing that REALLY bothers me about Prohm's style is the absolute lack of attention to rebounding. Man that gets under my skin. There are several game plans, like against Iowa, where he sends 3-4 guys back on transition defense. If you know anything about basketball offensive rebounding is a big deal. This allows for cheap baskets, can shift momentum, can run the clock further and can be absolutely demoralizing to the other team.

Do you realize our team leader for rebounds is our PG....Haliburton. He averages 5.9 rebounds per game. Jacobson has had 2 double digit rebounding games this season. Young and Conditt have combined for 0 double digit rebounding games. ISU has outrebounded opponents 7 times this season. ISU has outrebounded 3 power 6 conference opponents. Seton Hall by 3 (their big guy was hurt), OU by 10 and Tech by 8.

We can’t rebound on defense. How in the hell are we going to do it on the offensive end? Unless you have a bunch of size and athleticism, sending them back is the way to go.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We shot 37%. While that’s unexpectedly well for us, it’s hardly flukish in the grand scheme. I’d imagine the guys expected to be an average shooting team and instead we are downright awful. If we shoot decent from 3 (35%ish) we will win a lot of games. It changes everything in an offense predicated on spacing.

I was intending flukish for us, but that's a fair point.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We can’t rebound on defense. How in the hell are we going to do it on the offensive end? Unless you have a bunch of size and athleticism, sending them back is the way to go.

From what I've seen the players don't seem to be conditioned to finding a guy to box out on defense. The trend is to run to the rim as the shot is up.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I'm not asking for him back, my point was I don't understand why he struggled here as badly as he did.

Because he wanted the players Iowa gets and he wanted to beat Iowa. As per his introduction news conference. As opposed to Hoiberg who wanted the players Kansas got and wanted to beat Kansas. McDermott never understood Big 12 basketball.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Because he wanted the players Iowa gets and he wanted to beat Iowa. As per his introduction news conference. As opposed to Hoiberg who wanted the players Kansas got and wanted to beat Kansas. McDermott never understood Big 12 basketball.

He had a rep at UNI for being able to beat Alford's Iowa teams.

He didn't not only understand B12 basketball, he didn't understand that ISU basketball went far and beyond some December basketball game.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
He had a rep at UNI for being able to beat Alford's Iowa teams.

He didn't not only understand B12 basketball, he didn't understand that ISU basketball went far and beyond some December basketball game.

I think it comes down to having juniors and seniors who had been with the program at most positions so they know his offense a lot better. I was always frustrated that it seemed like it took half the shot clock to finally get into our offense.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yep. Doesn’t bring anything to the table offensively and he’s a liability on the perimeter. I’d start Lewis and play him at the 4 though.

RE: Nixon. He has the worst 2 pt % on the team of anyone that gets significant minutes at 46%. He is the worst 3 pt shooting players (Grill is basically the same) at 23%. Yet he is 3rd on the team in shooting attempts. Why? When someone has proven he cannot consistently make shots for over half a season - why does he have the green light to continue shooting? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
RE: Nixon. He has the worst 2 pt % on the team if anyone that gets significant minutes at 46%. He is the worst 3 pt shooting players (Grill is basically the same) at 23%. Yet he is 3rd on the team in shooting attempts. Why? When someone has proven he cannot consistently make shots for over half a season - why does he have the green light to continue shooting? Makes no sense.
It's not like Nixon is shooting wide open attempts either. I remember at least 3 of Nixon's 7 shots were contested, one of them being an off balanced fade-away floater from about 15 feet. Just absolutely awful shot selection from a guy that honestly should not see the floor at the Big 12 level.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I think we have to accept at this point that this team is extremely poor offensively and not really any better defensively than in past years. That combination does not lead to a feeling of confidence.

I wish I could think that the coaches will find a formula to reverse the trends we see, but I have seen nothing to make me believe that.

So, we have a poor offense, a poor defense and apparently no plan to change either. If they haven't figured it out by now it is unlikely they will this season.

I find the "get tougher" conversation amusing. Rarely does a player just "get tougher" because they decided to.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We have bigger problems than just being good or bad. We are soft and don't really have an identity. Those are signs of a weak program culture. Prohm let his veteran players carry the program his first two years here but hasn't been able to bridge the gap with his own guys and these issues became more obvious as Prohm brought in his own guys and the previous staff/players influence lessened.

Prohm teams, especially post Fred players, seem to fold every time they are hit in the mouth. No way to put it other than soft, that comes from a lack of confidence in or knowledge about what they are supposed to do. The guys look like they are walking on eggshells, no one looks comfortable in their role on the team, that all comes from the top. Even in 17/18 had that little bit of swagger we were used to, they weren't great but prior to injuries shutting it down, you at least had the feeling that they could hang with anyone, especially in Hilton.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's not like Nixon is shooting wide open attempts either. I remember at least 3 of Nixon's 7 shots were contested, one of them being an off balanced fade-away floater from about 15 feet. Just absolutely awful shot selection from a guy that honestly should not see the floor at the Big 12 level.

My guess on Nixon is that he shoots it well in practice. His shot looks ok and it seems like he's had an inordinate amount of shots rim out on him. I'm guessing Steve knows we need to find shooting from somewhere and is encouraging him to keep shooting in an attempt to shoot himself out of a slump.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and isu83

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My guess on Nixon is that he shoots it well in practice. His shot looks ok and it seems like he's had an inordinate amount of shots rim out on him. I'm guessing Steve knows we need to find shooting from somewhere and is encouraging him to keep shooting in an attempt to shoot himself out of a slump.
Yeah I'd probably have to agree. Honestly, outside of Halliburton, it almost hurts watching these guys shoot from the outside. It looks like they're all just wishing it in. Not one of them is shooting it with confidence and that's half of being a good shooter. However, why would they be confident if they aren't making anything?

It's just crazy how bad we are in that aspect, and in today's day in age, it's probably the most important part of the game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not really lol
My guess is that practice resembles the games to a certain extent. They're all probably okay shooters when there is absolutely no pressure on them, but once the lights come on it's like they're trying to build a damn house lol.

It's gotten to the point where our guys don't even want to take the shot any more unless they're wide open. It makes me so sad to think about some of the guys we've had in the past. Thomas, Naz, Scotty, Chris Babb, McGee, Donovon, Wigginton, Shayok. Those guys had the mentality that they could shoot and score on anyone, regardless of who was guarding them.