Another 15 point loss

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, we are bad, but Dakich is just an a$$. Iowa State must have kicked him to the curb on a job application or something because he'll rip the Cyclones every chance he gets.

Dakich is a belligerent loud mouth but he's not wrong in saying ISU is terrible.

Doesn't help that he's a B1G homer who lives in his playing days but still, ISU will very likely get rolled vs. Auburn unless Auburn stays in their current funk...then it might be a really ugly close game.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Dakich is a belligerent loud mouth but he's not wrong in saying ISU is terrible.

Doesn't help that he's a B1G homer who lives in his playing days but still, ISU will very likely get rolled vs. Auburn unless Auburn stays in their current funk...then it might be a really ugly close game.
We will help Auburn get out of their funk.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
So we give him one more year, then what? If we have a good year are we going to be stuck with the mid major coach for how many more years? It’s a lose lose scenario to keep him any longer. It’s just not the right fit.

Right fit or not, that extension last year locked us in...
For him to be gone at the end of next year we need to come in dead last in the Big12 this year and next. And im honestly still not 100% that Prohm wouldnt get another season.

My biggest fear is JP cans Prohm and just hires some discount mid major coach to fill his place. He wants to strike gold like he did with MC.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
While waiting for the Iowa State game to come on, I had the wrong ESPN network on and was watching the end of the Purdue/Maryland game and they showed the slate of games for the Big 12/SEC Matchup. Dan Dakich literally said and I quote “Iowa State will get beat by 106 points in that game, they are terrible.”

Prohm hasn’t gotten it done the last 3 years. Even with the tourney championship last year, that team drastically underperformed. I never thought I could get free tickets to ISU games but it’s becoming the norm.
That game was on BTN.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
That game was on BTN.

It was on ESPN 2. He said it with about 2 mins left in the game. I don’t care what Dakich thinks because he is essentially the Andy Bernard of college basketball but it doesn’t bode well for our program to have an announcer lambast the team.

Attachments

• 198D3061-3A3C-4730-8A22-8A92E1359D4D.png
    198D3061-3A3C-4730-8A22-8A92E1359D4D.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 22

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I expect Pollard will probably give Steve one more season, unless things get really ugly and there are some donors who are willing to pony up for the buyout.

That said, I don't believe Pollard's patience with McDermott is translatable to Prohm. Why? Because Hoiberg hadn't happened yet. I suspect that dramatic turnaround and what that did for the fanbase and ISU's perception nationally really resonated with Jamie. Three years later, that high is quickly becoming an afterthought, which I expect will also resonate with Jamie.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I expect Pollard will probably give Steve one more season, unless things get really ugly and there are some donors who are willing to pony up for the buyout.

That said, I don't believe Pollard's patience with McDermott is translatable to Prohm. Why? Because Hoiberg hadn't happened yet. I suspect that dramatic turnaround and what that did for the fanbase and ISU's perception nationally really resonated with Jamie. Three years later, that high is quickly becoming an afterthought, which I expect will also resonate with Jamie.

My guess for this year to be the final straw there would need to be some bad things out in public like bad situations on the sidelines or something. Which I don't see happening.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I totally understand everyone’s frustration and it’s likely not to change. There just isn’t enough talent to change it unfortunately, but I’m not going to read your post and not reply to your totally inaccurate post. Jamie Pollard is the best thing that happened to Iowa State athletics in decades. He has pulled our sports programs out of the dark ages and made us competitive in all sports.

Any sport at Iowa State is subject to big swings because first, we don’t have long term national brand recognition in any sport. Recruiting to Ames is tough. Once you get the right coach in place then it gets a little easier, but never easy. Second, we simply don’t have the revenue the big boys do. Things like travel come into play. Texas,Oklahoma, Kansas basketball charter darn near everywhere. We have to go to Des Moines. We have to pick up recruits and their families in Des Moines. It’s just another thing against us.

Lastly for you to say the only revenue sport Jamie cares about is football is absolutely absurd. I truly wished you knew his heart and all the things he does for all sports and if you did, I don’t think you’d play tough guy behind the keyboard shooting off your mouth. Jamie’s in a tough position right now, but I trust his judgement. It’s probably gonna be a tough year, but I’d rather support Iowa State than any other in this region or league.

it’s easy to jump on the bandwagon. I’d bet you’d be the first one back on when the winning returns. And it will return.

For as good as JP is at his job and all the good things he's done, the contract extension he gave Prohm at the end of last year was asinine and is an anchor for our bball program. Huge mistake.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
For as good as JP is at his job and all the good things he's done, the contract extension he gave Prohm at the end of last year was asinine and is an anchor for our bball program. Huge mistake.

People keep saying that but it isn’t really an anchor at all. There is a 0.0001% chance Prohm gets fired after this year so his buyout is basically irrelevant.

He essentially got a 3 year extension at $2.3 million per year. Buyout is 50% of remaining contract value. So this extension tied ISU to another $3.3 million in buyout costs. That’s not a lot in this current coaching climate. So if he did get fired after next year, ISU would owe him $4.45 million I believe. A lot of money but certainly not an “anchor”.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

It was to keep him. Not sure what you wanted him to do

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It was to keep him. Not sure what you wanted him to do

Not happy with results this season, but a lot of our fans seem to be a tad fickle over this. If we don't hit shots (many were good/open looks from running an offense) you're not going to beat very many teams period. I think you gotta give Prohm a bit more time and see what he can do this summer/next year then make a decision. People forget how much we lost from last season.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Chris Beard had 10 newcomers this year and already has them performing as a top 25 squad.

Well unfortunately our fan base needs to get over the fact that we haven't been doing as well as Tech and not everyone has a Chris Beard. I'm not giving up on Prohm yet but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't switch up some assistants or get more of an xs and os guy for next year. My point is I'm not going to just abandoned him or the program. Fan stands for fanatic. Gotta be there thru thick and thin if nothing else but to cheer the players on who wear the name of the school I love.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Chris Beard had 10 newcomers this year and already has them performing as a top 25 squad.
Good coaches can anticipate and re-load for roster losses, with minimal impact to performance. I still don’t get why CSP got a “pass” for his 17-18 team that got dead last in the big 12, when he had over 2 years to recruit and prepare for it. I don’t think the Iowa State basketball program should ever be in the basement of the big 12. We should ALWYS be in the top half of the big 12. No excuses.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well unfortunately our fan base needs to get over the fact that we haven't been doing as well as Tech and not everyone has a Chris Beard. I'm not giving up on Prohm yet but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't switch up some assistants or get more of an xs and os guy for next year. My point is I'm not going to just abandoned him or the program. Fan stands for fanatic. Gotta be there thru thick and thin if nothing else but to cheer the players on who wear the name of the school I love.
Barring something crazy happening, Steve will be the head coach next year. That's the reality of it. Next year's team will look and feel completely different and if it doesn't, Steve will be gone.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
I don’t think we expect to do as well as Chris beard, although it would be nice. But the expectation is that we should not be basement dwellers of the big 12 two out of three years