Home Budgeting

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
My wife and I have come to the point where we’ve accomplished all of our larger financial goals (mainly having a kid and buying a house) and now it’s time to focus on saving more $. I want to get into the minutia of where our money really goes so…

What app/program/website/ back-of-an-envelope do you fellow Fanatics use to budget your home finances?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
IMO you can’t beat a spreadsheet. Track every penny and put them in categories. Food, groceries, entertainment, etc.

Agreed. Started a thread about this topic some time ago.
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...heir-personal-finances-by-spreadsheet.248115/

If you prefer Google Docs, there's a company that has a bunch of spreadsheet templates that connect to your accounts, so you get the benefit of automation with the "hands on" abilities of a spreadsheet. I haven't used it myself but they're very well regarded. Cost is $60/year.
https://www.tillerhq.com/

Reactions: helechopper

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not in the same situation but for the spending part, I've found that taking out X amount of cash every week and that's all I get. Definitely helps at least hone in on needs.

Take a limited amount of cash into the grocery store and extra unnecessary stuff doesn't make it into the basket/cart.

• Agree
Reactions: kbud

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not in the same situation but for the spending part, I've found that taking out X amount of cash every week and that's all I get. Definitely helps at least hone in on needs.

Take a limited amount of cash into the grocery store and extra unnecessary stuff doesn't make it into the basket/cart.

When I was single I would take out X amount and that was all I would allow myself. If I blew it Friday, I sat at home on Saturday and watched TV.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
IMO you can’t beat a spreadsheet. Track every penny and put them in categories. Food, groceries, entertainment, etc.

This. Do a google doc and download the app on your phone so you can immediately plug in what you just spent. This was a huge eye-opener for how much I was spending on food when I originally did this years ago.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
When I was single I would take out X amount and that was all I would allow myself. If I blew it Friday, I sat at home on Saturday and watched TV.

I think people should do this or similar no matter their status.

I know plenty of married people that spend lots of money on things that are completely unneeded.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think people should do this or similar no matter their status.

I know plenty of married people that spend lots of money on things that are completely unneeded.
My thoughts are, if you can afford it, then do what you want. If you pay your bills and doing things legally, go head and blow $1000 on a boatload of lap dances if that is what you want.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My thoughts are, if you can afford it, then do what you want. If you pay your bills and doing things legally, go head and blow $1000 on a boatload of lap dances if that is what you want.

This is where I’m at right now and when my kid is out of daycare in 18 months my lap dance budget is going WAY up. I even recently downgraded my whip because I wanted a truck so I’m rolling in extra cash right now but that no daycare infusion is going to feel like winning the lottery.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah, I get that and people can do what they want.

I guess I'm leaning toward those that say they don't have any money in their savings so they can't afford to do some things, but go out often, eat out multiple times a week etc.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I guess I'm leaning toward those that say they don't have any money in their savings so they can't afford to do some things, but go out often, eat out multiple times a week etc.

:D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Agree. Many people complain they can’t save anything but actually they can it’s just they chose not to by buying lunch every day or not watching their money. My wife used to get her hair cut (or whatever she had done) every two weeks. I explained that hair grows 1/2 to 1 inch a month. So by going every three weeks there would be about an 1/8 of an inch difference but cut out about 9 sessions. At 30 bucks a session, that is $270 over a year. Do this type of stuff a few times and you have a grand in your pocket and a basic vacation paid for every third year.

Btw, I get 3 maybe 4 haircuts a year. So I’m way different.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm trying a new thing in 2020 where I do no budgeting. Just keep an eye on the first digit in my bank account but no other worrying about the almighty dollar. Expected results are more happiness and more blow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron