Best Sportscaster in Iowa

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Congrats to Dolph.. Seems like a pretty cool dude & I don’t mind listening to his pxp.. I’m always going to be partial to “The Godfather” John Walter as my favorite, but I think Gary does a great job for the hawks..
It's absolutely laughable to say Walters is a better play-by-play guy than Gary Dolphin. We have the worst radio coverage in the Big 12. It's nothing personal it's just the truth. John has improved over the years but he isn't that great of a play-by-play guy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is definitely a solidarity move.

Walters is the best in the state, by a country mile, and he's bordering on being as good as Pete. When John Walters hangs it up, he will be considered the greatest ISU announcer of all time.

I appreciate Rima's passion, but hate the catch phrase onslaught. I've also been told that his accent is how people outside of Iowa hear Iowans. "Painthers". Like how Pete refered to "hayshmarks".

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's absolutely laughable to say Walters is a better play-by-play guy than Gary Dolphin. We have the worst radio coverage in the Big 12. It's nothing personal it's just the truth. John has improved over the years but he isn't that great of a play-by-play guy.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on here

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't listen to him a lot, but I would echo what was said before, he tend to forget to mention the score, ball placement, down, etc if Iowa is not playing well.

Seems like am okay guy, but he is a massive homer that let's his love of the Hawks effect his calling of the games. Walters is a huge homer too, but he gets the call right before he start complaining.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: kkise

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I think radio play by play of football would be something really cool to try and if you were good at it would be really fun. Having said that, I know I would really suck at it. Props to anyone that does it and gets paid for it. I can't imagine following everything that's unfolding and immediately relaying it to an audience in a way that is entertaining and easy on the ears. I love listening to the really good ones. The guy that does the Bears (ISU grad) is really good. Ditto Wayne Larivee for the Packers. For the most part, the college guys are hit and miss. We all like our hometown guys because they are vested in the outcome just like us

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Heft is one of the worst color guys in college football history. I'm not a homer about this
Basketball wise Eric has some really heavy sighs on air because of how much C&G he bleeds.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is definitely a solidarity move.

Walters is the best in the state, by a country mile, and he's bordering on being as good as Pete. When John Walters hangs it up, he will be considered the greatest ISU announcer of all time.

I appreciate Rima's passion, but hate the catch phrase onslaught. I've also been told that his accent is how people outside of Iowa hear Iowans. "Painthers". Like how Pete refered to "hayshmarks".
Even if John has another decade, I'm not sure if he surpasses Pete sentimentally. People remember Pete and the Big 8, Johnny Orr, Hilton Magic.
John does a great job.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Even if John has another decade, I'm not sure if he surpasses Pete sentimentally. People remember Pete and the Big 8, Johnny Orr, Hilton Magic.
John does a great job.

I wasn't a clone fan per say during Pete's heyday. But I get the sentiment people have for him. Walters does a darn good imo.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

For a large chunk of Pete's career, radio was just about the only option for folks outside central Iowa. Football was on TV about once per year, home basketball was on WOI (and not much else), and the Saturday league games were on the syndicated regional "network."

Walters will never get that same sentimental vibe simply because of the myriad of consumer options.

• Informative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron