Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not surprised. Fongs is too damn expensive for what it is

If fongs in Ankeny is having issues it probably is due to the high cost of rent in the prairie trail area. That was the rumored reason taco hangover closed right next door. That fongs has always been busy every time I've been there.

• Agree
Reactions: baller21

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think they're out of Mullets but they seem to be doing fine.
Fongs in Ankeny is definitely in limbo from some strong rumors.

IMO, part of the appeal of Fong's in the location on 4th St, downtown, in a former Chinese restaurant amid several other things to do within walking distance. I've never been to the one in Ankeny, but it hard to replicate that feel in a new build.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Disagree. There are 3 huge apartment/loft complexes in the process of opening and in construction on E 6th Ave. That, and Iowan's love parking lots and this is a place that offers one with plenty of street parking as well.

It’s not like those places are full or close to being full yet. And even are still under construction. People are still going to head north of Court Ave to east village if they live in those as of now.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If fongs in Ankeny is having issues it probably is due to the high cost of rent in the prairie trail area. That was the rumored reason taco hangover closed right next door. That fongs has always been busy every time I've been there.

The Fitness World on that same block is closing for rent reasons. Wouldn't surprise me.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I think you are right to a degree. That said, Taco Hangover is probably not a good example as they have closed several locations.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Taco Hangover’s business was fading badly as well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yep. We posted at the same time. I have a good "in" with a developer. They have said Lola's is having the same issues.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I wonder how Truman’s is doing? I’ve only been there for a Chiefs game watch and it was pretty packed.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It’s not like those places are full or close to being full yet. And even are still under construction. People are still going to head north of Court Ave to east village if they live in those as of now.

I'm not saying it is 100% arrived yet, but if this were a bad location, Truman's would have closed and yet it has been opened for a few yrs now. Also, Mad Meatball did well in this location and sold because the got the right offer. (fyi...Mad Meatball will be reopening south of MLK Pkway in the near future) in the Gray's Landing area.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kind of off topic, anyone know what Sam Auen is doing now?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm not saying it is 100% arrived yet, but if this were a bad location, Truman's would have closed and yet it has been opened for a few yrs now. Also, Mad Meatball did well in this location and sold because the got the right offer. (fyi...Mad Meatball will be reopening south of MLK Pkway in the near future) in the Gray's Landing area.

It’s not a great location as of now. That much is true.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBlock

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep. We posted at the same time. I have a good "in" with a developer. They have said Lola's is having the same issues.

Who owns the Prairie Trail properties? Is the market really driving costs that high?

I wonder if the city has anything to say about it if businesses are hurt because of the rent costs. FW is probably losing my membership because I have no desire to go to the north branch (less convenient for me, and will probably be a zoo with the consolidation).

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I would say the same thing about the couple times I've been to the Library and people LOVE that place.

Haven't been but my one time at Skol our chairs were literally back to back to the people at tables on both sides of ours. I enjoy socializing, but I gotta have my personal space.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The restaurant business is a tight margin have to do everything right to make it go. The upfront cost and high rent cost in Metro DSM makes it even more difficult.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron