Power is out - generator

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Realized we have only run our generator in warm weather.

Any extra precautions we need to consider with the cold?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I know you're smart enough to know this, but do not run it indoors. Every couple years it seems like I read a story about someone dying from carbon monoxide poisoning from running a generator indoors.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
Shouldn’t have much trouble other than with this wind, snow could get in the intake and possibly plug it up. If it’s been sitting outside you’ll need a lot of gas to get it to fire so choke it for a while. A whiff of starting fluid will help it fire. If it floods, turn choke off and throttle wide open and start pulling. Once you get it started you shouldn’t have much trouble with a gasser.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Captain Obvious reminds you to run it outside or in the garage with the garage door open, using extension cords to connect to appliances. No sense killing everyone from carbon monoxide poisoning.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If I lived on farm with a shed full of equipment I think I'd have a 15-25kW generator that runs off a tractor PTO. Some small engine generator, will start when you need it? The tractor will. Downside is in the post apocalypse world your neighbors will be coming for your electricity. :rolleyes:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Will the unit create enough heat so that the carburetor doesn’t stick?

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If I lived on farm with a shed full of equipment I think I'd have a 15-25kW generator that runs off a tractor PTO. Some small engine generator, will start when you need it? The tractor will. Downside is in the post apocalypse world your neighbors will be coming for your electricity. :rolleyes:

Last year when power was out for about a week I was getting phone calls for various things since there was only one location with lights on at night. 45k LP generator held fine but made me more popular than I wanted up at the farm.

Reactions: Sparkplug

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Realized we have only run our generator in warm weather.

Any extra precautions we need to consider with the cold?

Get your BBQ roaring hot and going indoors. The extra heat will feel nice as the carbon monoxide poisoning slowly leads you to delirium and death.

I work in the utility industry and with every cold snap someone thinks in-door BBQ makes sense.