Bleacher Report early Top 25

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Then maybe someone in the Big 12 should stop them? I mean, they've dominated our conference since it was formed.

Baylor was close this year. Although the teams from the B12 weren't very good so OU was just basically the most above average team.

They're probably realistically a top 10 program when it comes to ability to beat most teams with what they do. But put them in the top 4 most years and they're really lagging.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
To put us outside the top 20 with what we return is stupid

I mean after what felt like a letdown of a season with expectations coming in to 2019, I cant blame anyone not putting us in the top 20.

Regardless I'd still rather see posts like this than the constant ******** and moaning of Clonedude

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I mean after what felt like a letdown of a season with expectations coming in to 2019, I cant blame anyone not putting us in the top 20.

Regardless I'd still rather see posts like this than the constant ******** and moaning of Clonedude

We'll be in the top 20 in the AP preseason poll. At this point Campbell and Purdy are household names and that carries a ton of weight

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Completely agree with clonedude. This has been the worst 2 months of cyclone sports that I can remember for a while now. Women’s basketball sucks, men’s basketball sucks and football fell a few notches the last month of the season. Also, we break in an entirely new offense line which is where it starts with football. Not going to be good next year. Iowa will beat us handily there. Something like 17-3. Their Dline owns our Oline, special teams is the same. Our D holds its own for a while but in the end iowa wears us out. Same old story. They’re mentally tough and we aren’t. It’s the same thing every year lol.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Football always has, and always will be won in the trenches. Our OL will basically be starting over, and losing both Lima and Jamahl Johnson will have a huge negatieve effect on the DL performance. People really underestimate how important Lima and Johnson have been IMO.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The inexperience/unknowns on both lines and the need for improvement there and in fundamentals would make sense for not ranking ISU.

I still think they win 7-8 games but with deficiencies or inconsistencies in those areas and likely a slow start I don't see them staying in the Top 25.

Also what receiver will emerge as someone who's going to open things over the top or to the outside? Not arguing, just wondering what the potential is there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Completely agree with clonedude. This has been the worst 2 months of cyclone sports that I can remember for a while now. Women’s basketball sucks, men’s basketball sucks and football fell a few notches the last month of the season. Also, we break in an entirely new offense line which is where it starts with football. Not going to be good next year. Iowa will beat us handily there. Something like 17-3. Their Dline owns our Oline, special teams is the same. Our D holds its own for a while but in the end iowa wears us out. Same old story. They’re mentally tough and we aren’t. It’s the same thing every year lol.

Well some fans know ISU athletics before 2016 so the bolded can't be taken seriously.

Historically, any winning season and a nationally televised bowl game mean good things for ISU football even though, yes, improvements would be great. Basketball isn't good...there's been worse.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Totally agree, except I've been through some pretty tough times in Cyclone sports, so with the football team going to bowls I can't say this is as bad as it's been.

But you are so right about everything else IMO. MBB and WBB are not good at all right now. Football ended the season horribly, and I just don't get all the optimism about next year either? As you said, the OL will a total work in progress, so IMO Iowa will beat us fairly handily in IC next year. Without a decent OL, Purdy and Hall and Kolar, etc are nearly worthless.

And after watching both teams in their bowl games, Brian Ferentz >>>>>> Manning IMO.... and it hurts me terribly to say that. I understand that ND's defense is way better than USC's defense, but Iowa's playcalling and scheme was so dynamic and aggressive compared to ours in the bowl games. BF used the month off to come up with an amazing gameplan.... and Manning trotted out nothing innovative or dynamic whatsoever.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Totally agree, except I've been through some pretty tough times in Cyclone sports, so with the football team going to bowls I can't say this is as bad as it's been.

But you are so right about everything else IMO. MBB and WBB are not good at all right now. Football ended the season horribly, and I just don't get all the optimism about next year either? As you said, the OL will a total work in progress, so IMO Iowa will beat us fairly handily in IC next year. Without a decent OL, Purdy and Hall and Kolar, etc are nearly worthless.

And after watching both teams in their bowl games, Brian Ferentz >>>>>> Manning IMO.... and it hurts me terribly to say that. I understand that ND's defense is way better than USC's defense, but Iowa's playcalling and scheme was so dynamic and aggressive compared to ours in the bowl games. BF used the month off to come up with an amazing gameplan.... and Manning trotted out nothing innovative or dynamic whatsoever.

You do know that ISU's success under CMC has had literally nothing to do with Iowa, right?

It would be nice for ISU to get them as 5 years losing to anyone is annoying, but with exception to CMC's first season it's not like it's been the Fry years where it's a total drubbing most of the time.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone and CyTwins

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Iowa is losing key players as well. I like our chances against an unproven qb in the second week of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78