ISU seeks to match and exceed Texas Tech's toughness Saturday at Lubbock

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
I thought they played pretty tough Wednesday.

Just need to be better at the whole 'basketball' thing.
I thought they played pretty tough Wednesday.

Just need to be better at the whole 'basketball' thing.
Agreed. Just needed tougher defense in the second half, especially when shots aren't falling. Cyclones had a lot of good open looks, just couldn't hit them.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The way we played in the first half tells me that this team can play with anyone...for 19 minutes. When Baylor got the 3 point foul at the end of the half, and we put a 60% FT shooter at the line and saw him sink all 3, I knew our guys had lost their grip on momentum and swagger. Came out ice cold, couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. Meanwhile, Baylor got mildly hot for a stretch, but I think had we shot even 5-10% better in the 2nd half, they'd have been sweating a little more. Frustrating, and you really want to believe they'll start stringing together more 40 minute efforts here. They did it last Saturday. Hopefully it's not an exact repeat of 17-18 where we'd get a decent win ever 1.5-2 weeks, but lost everything in between.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
When Baylor got the 3 point foul at the end of the half, and we put a 60% FT shooter at the line and saw him sink all 3, I knew our guys had lost their grip on momentum and swagger. Came out ice cold, couldn't throw the ball in the ocean.

The foul at the end of the first half gets the headline, but our first two shots of the 2nd half were horrible. Two loooong 3s from Haliburton. Bad shots that turned into 5 points the other way. That's when the game ended.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
42R7KLIg.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed. Just needed tougher defense in the second half, especially when shots aren't falling. Cyclones had a lot of good open looks, just couldn't hit them.

I thought they just wore down and while the looks were open, there wasn't much timing or rhythm to them, likely due to Baylor dictating things.

Baylor makes it tough on both ends especially for what ISU has.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I thought they just wore down and while the looks were open, there wasn't much timing or rhythm to them, likely due to Baylor dictating things.

Baylor makes it tough on both ends especially for what ISU has.
Switched to radio at half and Heft said several times the coaches were getting after the guys because they were not catching ready to shoot. Rhythm or not you can't ask for a night of more open looks against an elite defense. Be ready to shoot and make some open shots.
On one hand the movement and cutting was very good, ball movement was good. On the downside this team can't capitalize because it can't shoot.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The way we played in the first half tells me that this team can play with anyone...for 19 minutes. When Baylor got the 3 point foul at the end of the half, and we put a 60% FT shooter at the line and saw him sink all 3, I knew our guys had lost their grip on momentum and swagger. Came out ice cold, couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. Meanwhile, Baylor got mildly hot for a stretch, but I think had we shot even 5-10% better in the 2nd half, they'd have been sweating a little more. Frustrating, and you really want to believe they'll start stringing together more 40 minute efforts here. They did it last Saturday. Hopefully it's not an exact repeat of 17-18 where we'd get a decent win ever 1.5-2 weeks, but lost everything in between.

Quoting..."couldn't throw the ball in the ocean".....You must have been around for the Larry Eustacy years because thats what Larry said after losing the last game of his career at Iowa State ...Losing to who.....Iowa Hawkeyes of course inside Hilton Coliseum.....

• Funny
Reactions: Cyinthenorth