KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I listened to the Joel McCrea interview from yesterday where he talked about how this was his decision to fire everybody after looking at station analytics. And he said he decided to right the wrong after the crapstorm that followed.

I still don't see why he made that decision in the first place. And how it corresponded with the 1000 other layoffs nationwide. And if the analytics were that bad, he should probably have stuck to his guns.

I feel like we're not getting the whole story and likely never will.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I listened to the Joel McCrea interview from yesterday where he talked about how this was his decision to fire everybody after looking at station analytics. And he said he decided to right the wrong after the crapstorm that followed.

I still don't see why he made that decision in the first place. And how it corresponded with the 1000 other layoffs nationwide. And if the analytics were that bad, he should probably have stuck to his guns.

I feel like we're not getting the whole story and likely never will.

He is falling on the sword...just like a good foot soldier does. That isn't a knock on him, just a reality on how some are able to successfully work in these types of work environments. His bosses probably appreciate this....or maybe better, they expect him to take the hits for them.

He is likely well compensated and is on a promising promotion track with the company.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
He is falling on the sword...just like a good foot soldier does. That isn't a knock on him, just a reality on how some are able to successfully work in these types of work environments. His bosses probably appreciate this....or maybe better, they expect him to take the hits for them.

He is likely well compensated and is on a promising promotion track with the company.

Yep. Remember, the key to moving up is making your boss (and their boss) look good.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Need advice:

I've been pissy for the last couple of days because of the whole KXnO thing. The wife was not real consoling on the matter. Her favorite radio station happens to be 106.3. How do I celebrate this with the wife? Do I celebrate like OBJ does with LSU football players or like OBJ does with rent-a-cops?

Rent a cops, give her the ass slap and tell her "Baby it's back!";)

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
I had the Woody Show on for a few minutes as I was coming to work this morning in KC. They were talking about being knocked out of the Des Moines market. It sounded like they found out about just like everyone else did and received no internal word that they wouldn't be there any more. It could have been PR, but they sounded legitimately upset about how it went down. They proceeded to talk up the Des Moines listeners as well as the Iowa State Fair and other events.

I must live in a bubble, never heard of this show or realized it existed in this market.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I must live in a bubble, never heard of this show or realized it existed in this market.

I listened in on occasion, I was never impressed. Nothing great but nothing bad either. Than again I have a 10 min commute.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I know they won't....but just think how much that ad space would be worth on their first episodes back!

giphy.gif

Not to put too much pressure on them, but their first shows back better be great ones! Seriously, it has to be weird now that they are the sports news in Central Iowa.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Severely reduced pay all around

I want to know about the guarantees and buyout options. They've done it once, so they've shown that they are willing to fire without notice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Some real estate chatter in here and since I am involved, I am happy to separate fact from fiction for any who care to know the truth on a couple things.

1. Ross is joining Charter House and is excited to do so. Ross and I have been friends for years and he is excited to be able to help people in central Iowa buy and sell homes.
He is currently going through his licensing process and should be available to help people sometime in February. We think Ross will do an AWESOME job and if you need to buy or sell, we hope you will give him a shot.

2. The licensing process is pretty straightforward. You do an online course to start. Read a chapter and take a test. This takes 40-60 hours depending on the person.
After that you take 3 in-person classes that takes one week to complete.
You must pass a background check and then you take the real estate exam which is comprised on a state and national portion which covers real estate laws and procedures.
The whole process, including becoming a member of an MLS will cost right around $2,000.

3. It is true that nationally, the average real estate agent does not make a lot of money. Keep in mind these numbers get skewed by people doing it part time or just 1 or 2 deals per year to help friends or family.
The agents doing real estate "full time" at Charter House made $79,000 on average last year. All of them have been in real estate less than 3 years. Each agent pays Charter House $5,000 per year to be part of this firm. That is extremely low in this world.

Hope this clears up a few things. I am HAPPY for Ross and for Chris that they got fired. They both came out of this thing better than before and that is a great thing for both of them!

Still recruiting other Fanatics to get licensed and make money just for talking normally to friends about Charter House? I thought that sounded like a fascinating strategy. How is it working out?

• Creative
  • Dumb
Reactions: wxman1 and cyowan

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I want to know about the guarantees and buyout options. They've done it once, so they've shown that they are willing to fire without notice.

Honest question. Why? Is that any of your business? I get why we might all be curious to know this, but it is a bit naive to think customers of any business have the right to know this information .

In the end, I think the writing is on the wall. Corporate misread the market and when presented with the opportunity of bumping this popular station to 25kW (and what that could translate to in terms of $$$) , the numbers made sense.

Is it guaranteed to work? No, but none of us have that luxury no matter what our profession.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Honest question. Why? Is that any of your business? I get why we might all be curious to know this, but it is a bit naive to think customers of any business have the right to know this information .

In the end, I think the writing is on the wall. Corporate misread the market and when presented with the opportunity of bumping this popular station to 25kW (and what that could translate to in terms of $$$) , the numbers made sense.

Is it guaranteed to work? No, but none of us have that luxury no matter what our profession.

Of course, it isn't of my business. This is a sports-site where we talk about guaranteed years and buyouts all the time. Just pointing out that those things would be important to me if I was going back on contract with KXNO.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Of course, it isn't of my business. This is a sports-site where we talk about guaranteed years and buyouts all the time. Just pointing out that those things would be important to me if I was going back on contract with KXNO.
What makes you think they are on contract at all? The fact that just a short time ago they were let go with no notice suggests to me that there's no contract, just at will employment. I wouldn't expect there to be any guarantees or buyouts.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Some real estate chatter in here and since I am involved, I am happy to separate fact from fiction for any who care to know the truth on a couple things.

1. Ross is joining Charter House and is excited to do so. Ross and I have been friends for years and he is excited to be able to help people in central Iowa buy and sell homes.
He is currently going through his licensing process and should be available to help people sometime in February. We think Ross will do an AWESOME job and if you need to buy or sell, we hope you will give him a shot.

2. The licensing process is pretty straightforward. You do an online course to start. Read a chapter and take a test. This takes 40-60 hours depending on the person.
After that you take 3 in-person classes that takes one week to complete.
You must pass a background check and then you take the real estate exam which is comprised on a state and national portion which covers real estate laws and procedures.
The whole process, including becoming a member of an MLS will cost right around $2,000.

3. It is true that nationally, the average real estate agent does not make a lot of money. Keep in mind these numbers get skewed by people doing it part time or just 1 or 2 deals per year to help friends or family.
The agents doing real estate "full time" at Charter House made $79,000 on average last year. All of them have been in real estate less than 3 years. Each agent pays Charter House $5,000 per year to be part of this firm. That is extremely low in this world.

Hope this clears up a few things. I am HAPPY for Ross and for Chris that they got fired. They both came out of this thing better than before and that is a great thing for both of them!
Was Ross able to pass the background check?:rolleyes: