Weather Thread - 1/16 to 1/18

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is Des Moines done with precipitation for the evening? Also how are roads?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Have you been out on those gravel roads? Where I work, a small rural district, we had one bus slide off in the ditch and another was taking forever to do the route. We did not cancel but we should have delayed.

Both that like to ***** about schools closing or delaying because of weather forget one important item. Not only are the teachers and aides driving on the stuff, but a lot of inexperienced kids are also out on the roads.
Poor roads/weather and inexperienced drives/kids can led to death and injury. Better to be safe than sorry. A day of school is not worth anyone's life.

No I totally agree. The gravel roads were really slick that morning which is a little unusual as they are usually better than the hard roads (expect in the spring muck). They raked the road in front of the house but as I was going down a decent hill that had turned off. I tapped the brakes to test the condition and they didn't do anything. Kept on sliding.

We were lucky it got warm enough and sunny enough to melt. If it got cold for a long time like last year we would have been in serious trouble.

However, in all fairness I would be likely to tell them all to stay home and watch a couple YouTube videos and try to keep the first couple educational.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
So do we shovel/snowblow now or wait until morning?
I'd do it now. Freezing drizzle on top, plus temperatures in Des Moines could climb all the way to 32 in the middle of the night.

Combine that with the flash freeze when the cold front comes through and you'll either be trying to snowblow frozen up crud and/or snowblowing in a 40 mph NW wind.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'd do it now. Freezing drizzle on top, plus temperatures in Des Moines could climb all the way to 32 in the middle of the night.

Combine that with the flash freeze when the cold front comes through and you'll either be trying to snowblow frozen up crud and/or snowblowing in a 40 mph NW wind.

If I do it now and and the freezing drizzle builds up on the driveway, won’t that just make it a sheet of ice? My Snow blower can bust through some hard snow pretty easily, don’t like doing it but won’t have an icy driveway if I wait?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Flash freeze, you heard the man, you're all gonna die.

C7Hu9VvXwAIGlUz.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If I do it now and and the freezing drizzle builds up on the driveway, won’t that just make it a sheet of ice? My Snow blower can bust through some hard snow pretty easily, don’t like doing it but won’t have an icy driveway if I wait?

Omg bro you have to be the only person on this site that doesn’t have a heated driveway! Paid for in cash.