Does anybody know of a good locksmith in the area?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm am far from a handyman and have no problem paying people to fix things around the house. That said, this is a pretty easy do-it-yourself fix.

That said, Stauss is a good one out of Urbandale.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
5530084-21.jpg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Try lubing the hell out of it with some WD 40 or JB 80 or similar product. Those don't work, buy the mid price set of door latches at Menards/Home Depot. Couple of Philips screwdrivers and an hour of time you should be good. Newer house you can probably rematch the brand and style. No help on a locksmith though.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I used Metro Lock on Christmas Eve and was very happy with them. 25-50% cheaper than the other places I called, came out within an hour, and he was done within about 20 minutes. 515-707-3548.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Typical CF posting. Poster asks for one thing: name of locksmith. First 11 posts, except one, don't answer his question and instead proceed to tell him how it should be done / crack jokes. I oscillate between comical amusement and frustration reading the inane postings of you guys who live on this site. Hah...oh man.

To the OP: I recommend Strauss Security / Locksmith in urbandale, I think. They've helped family of mine and quickly.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I once called a locksmith to let me into my house after accidentally locking myself out. He was in the area but didn't have his tools on him so he asked if there was a door without a dead bolt that he could open (the door from the garage into the house didn't have a dead bolt). So he showed up a couple minutes later and opened it with a credit card in about 10 seconds.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Typical CF posting. Poster asks for one thing: name of locksmith. First 11 posts, except one, don't answer his question and instead proceed to tell him how it should be done / crack jokes. I oscillate between comical amusement and frustration reading the inane postings of you guys who live on this site. Hah...oh man.

To the OP: I recommend Strauss Security / Locksmith in urbandale, I think. They've helped family of mine and quickly.
Francis.gif

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Find a Kwikset or some other brand that you can replace the lock and rekey it with your current one. Fairly simple.

EDIT: Or are we talking a car?
I assumed car but seems like everyone else thinking house. Not sure why you'd want a locksmith to fix a house lock. Just buy a new one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The other typical CF. Someone complaining because their panties are in a bunch when some other posters try to help the OP out with a more cost effective approach.

Reactions: dosry5