Best thing Cyclones could do now is ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
How does it not exist if he just had a lengthy interview?
His interviewing at Texas to me would be no different than at Auburn or USC other than the B12 conference tie.

CMC, on the other hand, has always shown much admiration for Bill Snyder and how his program was put together. It seemed reasonable then that Sean would be a candidate in Ames for that reason and others, i.e. ISU's putrid special teams. No big deal one way or the other, I guess, just fan chatter.

Klieman has said that K-State continues to use Snyder's return team model but punt returns changed to the Bison method.

Last edited:

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Klieman has said that K-State continues to use Snyder's return team model but punt returns changed to the Bison method.

Since I haven't watched or paid attention to KSU or NDSU return schemes, can you explain what their differences are? Genuinely interested.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Since I haven't watched or paid attention to KSU or NDSU return schemes, can you explain what their differences are? Genuinely interested.
I really have no clue myself. I obviously did not play the game. Klieman said that a while back though about return schemes. But the coaching staff will not talk specifics. After they beat OU, there was a blocking scheme video that went viral and o'line coach was asked about it; his reply: We don't talk about our blocking schemes.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I suggested this last year when Pops stepped down and got bashed by the dumbasses on this board that have no concept of an independent thought. Now that the big boys are sniffing I'm sure they're on board.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Special teams can win you games, yet ours was not good makes sense to not have a designated coach in that position....................................

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I suggested this several weeks ago. The fair catch on the kick off thing kind of sucks
Maybe. Depends on the hang time of opponent kicker and the ability of opposition cover team. Quite often the odds are probably better for fair catching kickoffs and starting at 25.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The thought of Snyder being some special teams savior is slightly overblown.

They were fantastic at returning kicks (led the country), but that’s largely due to having a dynamic returner.

Other key special teams statistics.

NET punting: ISU- 82nd KSU-29th
Punt return avg: ISU- 43rd KSU- 37th
Punt return defense: ISU- 41st KSU- 117th (woof)
Kick return defense: ISU- 46th KSU-22nd

They did have a better kicker (not surprising): 90% to 79% (both top 46 in FBS).

As you can see ISU is top 50 in most categories, and it’s not like KSU is top 25 in all by any means. The way surly is talking I would have expected more.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Josh Youngblood is a special returner at least this year anyway, all-B12, all-American, as is Malik Knowles. Both are freshmen by the way. But special teams is way more than who happens to be returning the kick/punt. We all know that. And Snyder's team excelled through the years. David Allen was the best, probably. But Terence Newman, wowzer.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I agree hiring Snyder to improve special teams would be just peachy, but that isn't the question for Campbell. At issue is whether, given the rules changes to special teams to prevent injuries, having a dedicated coach at that position is worth more to his team than a dedicated TE coach on offense or DB coach in Heacock's scheme, for example.

I believe that as bad as ISU's special teams were this year, they did not need to be, and really don't require a dedicated coaching position in order to improve.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
His interviewing at Texas to me would be no different than at Auburn or USC other than the B12 conference tie.

CMC, on the other hand, has always shown much admiration for Bill Snyder and how his program was put together. It seemed reasonable then that Sean would be a candidate in Ames for that reason and others, i.e. ISU's putrid special teams. No big deal one way or the other, I guess, just fan chatter.

This is dumb. You don't know Sean Snyder's connections

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Josh Youngblood is a special returner at least this year anyway, all-B12, all-American, as is Malik Knowles. Both are freshmen by the way. But special teams is way more than who happens to be returning the kick/punt. We all know that. And Snyder's team excelled through the years. David Allen was the best, probably. But Terence Newman, wowzer.
Newman and Youngblood are exciting players no doubt and should be for years.

The bigger question is how KSU replaces everything else they lost. Really will test Klieman.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
We don't need somebody on the sideline in happy samba outfits.
Oh, nevermind.....I thought you said Sean Spicer.