Best thing Cyclones could do now is ...

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Just like Lazard. Almost always fair caught a punt. Way too conservative.
Lazard did a great job returning punts early in his career and later in his career was told to just fair catch it. I get doing that in certain situations, but we have seen a fair amount of punt returns taken to the house over the last decade or so. I wish we would be a normal punt return team like every other program in college football. Then again, we might be the worst team in the country at putting together a good drive when starting with good field position, so maybe it doesn't even matter.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
It's almost as if the staff surrendered to not having any type of return game this year. We had 22 kick returns and 8 punt returns. Our opponents had 54 and 14, respectively. We have a number of guys who are plenty capable of being effective returners; Kene, Lang, Jones, Milton, etc. I wonder what factored into this decision?
Part of the reason for the disparity in returns was our weak kickoff and punting of this year. How many kickoffs went into the end zone this year, even with the winds inside Jack Trice? We may have had more out of bounds kickoffs than through the end zone.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's almost as if the staff surrendered to not having any type of return game this year. We had 22 kick returns and 8 punt returns. Our opponents had 54 and 14, respectively. We have a number of guys who are plenty capable of being effective returners; Kene, Lang, Jones, Milton, etc. I wonder what factored into this decision?

Probably the almost game losing effect of the kick return at Iowa.

Kick returns are borderline stupid now. The rules changed due so you can't even have two players engage one at the same time on kickoffs. The kick return was a massive fail at KSU but weird things happen sometime.

The best thing for our ST this year would have been a magical healing device to get Dunn back on the field.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just like Lazard. Almost always fair caught a punt. Way too conservative.

Bad things happened almost every time we got aggressive this year. I just don't think it's wise to be aggressive in special teams. I think the risks greatly outnumber the rewards especially on this year's team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
HIre Sean Snyder to be special teams coach. The guy has an office job down here today essentially rotting on the vine. He's a brilliant ST coordinator and would do wonders for ISU.

Tell Sean to mail his resume to Campbell. I’m sure it will get looked at by somebody. Make sure he puts down the anger management classes he has taken to avoid the unsportsmanlike penalties that he would get in the past.

• Funny
Reactions: cyfan21

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Lazard did a great job returning punts early in his career and later in his career was told to just fair catch it. I get doing that in certain situations, but we have seen a fair amount of punt returns taken to the house over the last decade or so. I wish we would be a normal punt return team like every other program in college football. Then again, we might be the worst team in the country at putting together a good drive when starting with good field position, so maybe it doesn't even matter.

If I recall, he was not back there at one point and then put back because our guys kept struggling to actually catch the punt cleanly. I’m sure Campbell just wanted someone that could cleanly catch it but didn’t want to risk injury to the best offensive weapon we had at the time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What frustrates me is that our staff acknowledges that we need to win in the margins yet we take kick and punt returns completely out of the picture? It's ironic because most successful "small margin for error" type teams thrive on special teams. and can we please fin a fu***** kicker that can just drive the ball out of the end zone?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
HIre Sean Snyder to be special teams coach. The guy has an office job down here today essentially rotting on the vine. He's a brilliant ST coordinator and would do wonders for ISU.

Cool idea, but hes not moving his family to Ames Iowa.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Tell Sean to mail his resume to Campbell. I’m sure it will get looked at by somebody. Make sure he puts down the anger management classes he has taken to avoid the unsportsmanlike penalties that he would get in the past.

Mack Brown offered him the special teams job at UNC last year. Sean turned it down to stay in Manhattan and work as an analyst. I don't believe CMC needs to see his resume' to know Snyder would be a fine addition to the Cyclone staff.

When ISU kicked to Youngblood Saturday with a howling 40-mile/hour wind at the kicker's back, I thought right then that special teams coaching is a problem in Ames.

And I know Campbell could give a crap what any of us think about his staff. I'm just suggesting this because it's so logical and would not be one bit surprised to see it happen.

My sense is that Sean didn't take the UNC job because he wanted to see how it would go for Klieman at K-State. I think that's pretty well settled now and may free Snyder up mentally to leave for another coaching job to wit ISU seems a logical fit.

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/sean-snyder/1406

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mack Brown offered him the special teams job at UNC last year. Sean turned it down to stay in Manhattan and work as an analyst. I don't believe CMC needs to see his resume' to know Snyder would be a fine addition to the Cyclone staff.

When ISU kicked to Youngblood Saturday with a howling 40-mile/hour wind at the kicker's back, I thought right then that special teams coaching is a problem in Ames.

And I know Campbell could give a crap what any of us think about his staff. I'm just suggesting this because it's so logical and would not be one bit surprised to see it happen.

My sense is that Sean didn't take the UNC job because he wanted to see how it would go for Klieman at K-State. I think that's pretty well settled now and may free Snyder up to leave for another coaching job.

Figured he didn’t leave since watching tape would pay as much as NC would with less risk.

• Useful
Reactions: surly

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

My sense is that Sean didn't take the UNC job because he wanted to see how it would go for Klieman at K-State. I think that's pretty well settled now and may free Snyder up to leave for another coaching job.

I am still too pissed from losing that game, especially the way we did, to think about taking a coach from the team we just lost to. Ask me again in 3 months.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Probably the almost game losing effect of the kick return at Iowa.

Kick returns are borderline stupid now. The rules changed due so you can't even have two players engage one at the same time on kickoffs. The kick return was a massive fail at KSU but weird things happen sometime.

The best thing for our ST this year would have been a magical healing device to get Dunn back on the field.

We were begging him not to bring that out against iowa. As soon as he got tackled I knew we would lose.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron