Oliver Martin Derangement Syndrome

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Sounds like some boomer saw a tweet from June saying Martin entered the transfer portal and said he was transferring and that dummy Harty ran with it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Martin is like a lot of players and just has never lived up to the hype that he had in high school. Iowa fans were creaming their jeans when he decided to leave Michigan and come back home to Iowa City.
The problem was he was not getting any reps, and was rarely on the field. Iowa fans were saying he was struggling picking up the play book, but the reality of it was that he is just not that good of a player, and that was the reason he was not seeing the field.

If the kid wants to play college ball he needs to drop down a class to UNI, maybe NDS. Some place where his skill level is better suited. Transferring out another P5 program would mean he would be a senior before he ever saw the field again.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Martin is like a lot of players and just has never lived up to the hype that he had in high school. Iowa fans were creaming their jeans when he decided to leave Michigan and come back home to Iowa City.
The problem was he was not getting any reps, and was rarely on the field. Iowa fans were saying he was struggling picking up the play book, but the reality of it was that he is just not that good of a player, and that was the reason he was not seeing the field.

If the kid wants to play college ball he needs to drop down a class to UNI, maybe NDS. Some place where his skill level is better suited. Transferring out another P5 program would mean he would be a senior before he ever saw the field again.

You might be right in the end, but he does still have two years left to prove himself.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

UNI is freaking STACKED at receiver right now. I'm not sure he'd be in the top 4. Weston, McShane, Wolf and Lane are all better.

Maybe go back to swimming?

BigRich

Oct 8, 2019
Our baby brothers over on Hokeye Pokey Forum are all up in arms over the rumors of Oliver Martin leaving Michigan and transferring to the hoks. Apparently this isn't quite correct.

Talked with his dad over the weekend: Facts
He loves Michigan.
He's not ever leaving.
If he did, ISU would be his lean more then Iowa.
His field efforts do not out weigh his degree efforts.

Iowa's lack of WR involvement hurt and is still hurting with the newest recruits.
Baby brother?!?! Ok...Somethings wring with you.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The guys currently ahead of him are pretty good IMO. He just couldn't beat them out...with ISM/Smith graduating after next year Martin is probably playing as a Senior.

Their numbers and lack of post season honors do not back up that statement at all. There is not one receiver on the Iowa team that teams are scheming to take out of the game, not one.
Now is it a better group than what they have had in the past, sure it is, but moving from below average up to average is not something people should be crowing about. The kid is a bust, nothing wrong with saying that, it happens a lot in college sports. Highly ranked kid, just does not live up to his stars, a 4 star recruit should be playing as a freshman, not starting but playing, and should be starting by his sophomore year. Martin has already played 2 seasons, and still having trouble seeing the field.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Their numbers and lack of post season honors do not back up that statement at all. There is not one receiver on the Iowa team that teams are scheming to take out of the game, not one.
Now is it a better group than what they have had in the past, sure it is, but moving from below average up to average is not something people should be crowing about. The kid is a bust, nothing wrong with saying that, it happens a lot in college sports. Highly ranked kid, just does not live up to his stars, a 4 star recruit should be playing as a freshman, not starting but playing, and should be starting by his sophomore year. Martin has already played 2 seasons, and still having trouble seeing the field.
I'm very happy with the current group of receivers.....so agree to disagree.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm very happy with the current group of receivers.....so agree to disagree.

Just because you are happy, does not mean that they are good receivers and their skill level is what is keeping a 4 star recruit off the field. Martin is just not that good, that is the reason, its ok to admit it.

• Creative
Reactions: dexterhawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just because you are happy, does not mean that they are good receivers and their skill level is what is keeping a 4 star recruit off the field. Martin is just not that good, that is the reason, its ok to admit it.
I personally think it's both. I think Iowa's starting receivers are good but at the same time, Martin might not be good. Martin has time to improve and see more playing time but he has definitely not played up to his recruiting ranking so far.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I personally think it's both. I think Iowa's starting receivers are good but at the same time, Martin might not be good. Martin has time to improve and see more playing time but he has definitely not played up to his recruiting ranking so far.

The Big Ten has 3 all conference teams compared to only 2 in the Big 12. We had an All Conference WR this last year, Iowa did not

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The Big Ten has 3 all conference teams compared to only 2 in the Big 12. We had an All Conference WR this last year, Iowa did not
I'm not saying their WR's are better than Iowa State's. I was saying that their receivers are not bad, while also saying Oliver Martin is not that good either.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm not saying their WR's are better than Iowa State's. I was saying that their receivers are not bad, while also saying Oliver Martin is not that good either.

Saying the receivers at Iowa are not bad, really does not tell us a lot. Are they an improve over what Iowa generally throws out on the field, sure. But that does not make them good. I could say the same thing about our Oline this year, they were better than past ISU Olines, but that does not make them really great at doing their jobs.
Just like the ISU Oline, I don't see too many all conference selection from the Iowa WR's, that is a telling sign that they are an average group, just better than what Iowa usually produces.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
This is the longest threat about a crap player since, wel our own Bo Williams. Even though Williams averages more yards per carry than any Iowa state running back in history

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron