Weather Thread - 1/16 to 1/18

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm watching the Weather Channel, and it appears we're all going to die.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This week we had two students from Hinton killed on the way to school when there was some slick conditions and no 2 hour delay was called. I anticipate all schools at least in NW IA will be very cautious the rest of the winter because no one wants that to happen and feel like it could have been avoided. It is always better to be safe than sorry, especially these days.
Just read about it. Two children from same family is devastating. I can't fathom.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Just left downtown Des Moines. Wouldn't be surprised if we already had 2.5/3 inches, visibility was 1/2 mile and there was an inch of hard packed snow on all the streets.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
They cancelled school today for the districts in the CR area now. Why couldn't they have an early dismissal instead? Nothing is coming until 1:00 today.

I was told managing the bus schedules is too complicated, unplanned early-outs are impossible. IDK if true, that's just what I was told!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If it's going to snow a few more hours I don't see any way we only get the 3-4 inches the forecast for DSM area.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Cue all the mama’s boys and their “I’ll be driving from Chicago to Omaha to Minneapolis back to Chicago tomorrow to catch a flight to New York to catch another flight to London to catch another flight to Hawaii. What time should I leave? Should I leave? Will I make it ok? Will you wipe my butt? Will you bring me my binky?” type posts! Haha!! Kidding, but not really.

In other words, check the DOT site and its gazillion live road shots for road conditions and whether travel is advised. And use your own instincts! Peace out, bruhs!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Cue all the mama’s boys and their “I’ll be driving from Chicago to Omaha to Minneapolis back to Chicago tomorrow to catch a flight to New York to catch another flight to London to catch another flight to Hawaii. What time should I leave? Should I leave? Will I make it ok? Will you wipe my butt? Will you bring me my binky?” type posts! Haha!! Kidding, but not really.

In other words, check the DOT site and its gazillion live road shots for road conditions and whether travel is advised. And use your own instincts! Peace out, bruhs!
This seems unnecessary

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Why are you trying to put message boards out of business?

• Funny
Reactions: JMA1125

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If it's going to snow a few more hours I don't see any way we only get the 3-4 inches the forecast for DSM area.
We already have that in Urbandale. Just looking at the radar, my guess is we end up with 5 inches. Maybe a little more by tonight depending on if there is any freezing precip or not. My choice would be that there is some freezing mist on top of this because this isn't the heavy, wet stuff they forecast and 35-45 mph winds will have a blast with this stuff.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
School Supts. are kind of like lemmings, none want to be the first to cancel, be when a few do, then the rest will quickly follow. We cancelled down here last night, Davis Co. scheduled an early out for 12:30, then ended up just cancelling like everyone else.

Looking at the radar, it should be snowing like hell down here, but nothing is falling at all. Air most be too dry still.

That is called conformity and public education is all about creating conformity. The school here canceled on the nicest day of the week (Tuesday) simple because of the gravel roads in the morning.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We already have that in Urbandale. Just looking at the radar, my guess is we end up with 5 inches. Maybe a little more by tonight depending on if there is any freezing precip or not. My choice would be that there is some freezing mist on top of this because this isn't the heavy, wet stuff they forecast and 35-45 mph winds will have a blast with this stuff.

yeah, I have at least 4 in West Des Moines and it’s blowing around a lot out there. This is kind of a nasty storm.