Friday OT #2 - The Case Is Mistaken Identity

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
This isn't necessarily an example of mistaken for someone because of I look like someone other than just an annoyance that I share the same name of someone that worked for the same company I do. A guy in town has the same name as me but different middle name but of course my middle name comes before his in the alphabet so when people searched the company directory they would find mine first. I'd get phone calls and emails, even my manager would get phone calls about "me." Funny thing is what I do and what he did were not even close to the same kind of work so I had to explain to these people they have to wrong guy even though they swore they had talked to me. My manager once stopped by and messed with me telling me someone just called him angry about me and complained. Once he got into the story of what the call was about I figured out it was the other guy and my manager got a good laugh out of it as he apparently had received other calls before that so both he and I wondered if this guy was not very good at what he did.

I think even a local business got us mixed up once because I got a phone call early one morning about delivering a basketball hoop. I hadn't ordered one but they swore the invoice had my name and number on it. Asked what address was on it and of course it wasn't mine so had to explain there is another guy in town that probably ordered it.

Had a former coworker that had similar problem where someone in town with her same name had all kinds of collection agencies and such after them and kept calling and sending her notices. She said one collection agency called and said they were going to repo her car once so she asked them which car it was and of course it didn't match the one she owned so she said "sure go ahead and repo it, and see if I care!"
This never ever happens to me.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For about a year or two after college I was waiting tables in downtown Chicago and so many people would randomly approach me for drugs on the street. I hardly even drink, last guy who would know where to get drugs.

I guess it was thin guy with kind of long hair in a waiter uniform was the exact look of somebody who would have drugs. Weed a few times, coke a couple times and surprisingly people specifically asked me for shrooms twice. A total stranger approached me and asked "You got any shrooms?" and then it happened again months later.

Maybe it was the block of my bus stop was known for that more than what I looked like, but neither stop was a bad neighborhood. The uniform was just black pants, white shirt, black tie. But I'd be carrying a backpack. Maybe the backpack is for the drugs? I was thin but my face didn't look unhealthy or anything. I truly have no clue.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
This one happened when I was about 12 years old and my little brother (RIP) was about 6 years old. I came out of school and saw my little brother getting into it with some 5th grader and trying to take his backpack. He kept yelling at him: "That's my brother's backpack!" Once he saw me, he realized his mistake and came running over to me. Kid had the same exact backpack I had.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Years ago I dated a girl who had an older sister, and they both had long blonde hair. One night I showed up at their house for a date and my GF was standing with her back to me on the front porch.

So I blurted out, "Hey, lady, wanna f**k?" Of course her sister turned around and said, "My, you're a friendly one!"

Talk about want to crawl into a gopher hole somewhere. :oops:
Aren't you the same guy that announced that when her mother was in the house?

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I had a strange encounter with someone I thought I sort of knew.

A few years ago I was at a bar watching sports. I saw a guy that I had talked to a week or two prior about the Royals and we started chatting again. Or at least I thought so....after we chatted for quite awhile, I realized this wasn't the guy I thought it was. I said something along the lines of "we chatted up here a couple weeks ago, right?" He says it wasn't him, but we had a fair amount in common and continued chatting.

A bit later, my girlfriend showed up. She walks up and says "hi, Ryan!"...to the guy I'm talking to. She says to me, "you know Ryan?" I'm thinking WTF is going on here. I said I thought I knew him, but turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. Then Ryan says, "how have you been, {gf's name}? I haven't seen you in awhile." They went to high school together. We lived 1,100 miles from where she went to high school.

So in the end, I thought I knew the guy but didn't, and we lived three blocks from him. My girlfriend knew he lived in the metro, but didn't know where.

Present day, we still hang out regularly.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This would have been 10 or so years ago that some guy got hammered, walked into my now wife (then girlfriend's) house, walked up the stairs, got naked, got in bed with her and passed out. Dude was a good mile from his actual house.

Ok, now start in on the "that's the story she told you" jokes...

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
This would have been 10 or so years ago that some guy got hammered, walked into my now wife (then girlfriend's) house, walked up the stairs, got naked, got in bed with her and passed out. Dude was a good mile from his actual house.

Ok, now start in on the "that's the story she told you" jokes...

Whoa! No way!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Whoa! No way!

Yep-- she was able to get out of bed and call the cops without waking him up.The guy took off his watch and put it on her dresser and folded his clothes up and everything--obviously thinking he was home.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Yep-- she was able to get out of bed and call the cops without waking him up.The guy took off his watch and put it on her dresser and folded his clothes up and everything--obviously thinking he was home.

That's really wild. In college I wouldn't have thought twice about it, today it would scare the absolute **** out of me.

So what happened? Did they haul him to jail? Or say "hey dude, you gotta go to a different home"?

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's really wild. In college I wouldn't have thought twice about it, today it would scare the absolute **** out of me.

So what happened? Did they haul him to jail? Or say "hey dude, you gotta go to a different home"?

They wound up taking him to jail for the night.

I'm still a little careful if she's sleeping and I'm getting into bed so as to not have her punch me in the face.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
They wound up taking him to jail for the night.

I'm still a little careful if she's sleeping and I'm getting into bed so as to not have her punch me in the face.

Man, that's crazy.

I had a roommate do something similar in college - not as invasive, but scary as hell for the victims. It was the beginning of the year and we had just moved into a new apartment just off North Dakota Ave. After a night of hard partying, he was dropped off at the new apartment. He went upstairs and his key didn't work. It would have worked if he had been on the main floor where our apartment actually was. He started pounding on the door yelling for me to let him in. The family that lived there called the cops. Of course he would choose an apartment that had a family instead of college students.

He went out and fell asleep in his car which really could have landed him in hot water. Lucky for him his car was cold because he hadn't driven it for a long time. The sliver of sober up time he had in the car must have been enough to remember which unit he actually lived in. I woke up to knocking on the door, so I threw on some clothes and got up. Answered it and dim bulb roomie and a cop are standing there. Cop asks me if he lived there, I confirmed he did. Asked about his evening and what I said must have jived with what drunken roomie said, and that was the end of it.

Roomie was grinning ear to ear as I talked to the cop. Idiot.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I was a freshman at ISU and my then girlfriend and I went to the library to study. We ended up leaving around 10 pm and it was pitch black outside. I told her I had to go to the bathroom and she said she would wait. Long story short, I can’t find my gf anywhere after going to the bathroom and walk out of the library. I see who I thought was my gf walking down the long sidewalk on the south end of Parks towards Friley. I sprint towards this person yelling random, inside jokes only she and I might think was funny “get back here woman” and “you better run!” When I get 25 feet from this person, I begin to realize how creepy this situation has become as it was not my girlfriend but was indeed a long haired, petite male with skinny jeans on. He turned to me and said “the f$@k?”

Coincidentally, this was the last time I studied at the library or ran.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was studying in the library up in the tiers came out on 3rd floor to take a break, saw a gal I knew studying came up behind her covered eyes and said guess who. When she said I don't know the voice was wrong uncovered her eyes, apologized in a hurry and disappeared quickly back into the tiers. Same haircut but wasn't the same gal. Felt dumb about that.

• Funny