Off the Record: Matt Campbell

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe you don't have to be big, but running to the outside presents a whole new issue of being tackled for a loss by DBs (if your WR blocking isn't good). Personally, I don't like the wildcat with someone who can't throw. It pretty much tells the defense not to worry about the pass.

I feel like they had the perfect package for short yardage with Lanning. It almost always worked. I would try to get back to that.
Yeah, trying to get to the outside when there are 10 or 11 in the box in a short yardage formation is generally a recipe for disaster. It isn't like the dbs have to come up 10 yards and get to the corner. They are already up close so they just have to shadow you to the sideline and make the play when you try to turn the corner.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
What a great interview! With the basketball struggles NOW is a great time to listen to this. You can tell how much coach Campbell loves his players, Iowa St, and the fan base.
He is a calm interviewee and very cerebral choosing his words carefully...until he speaks about his players. It is then that you can hear the pace of his speech increase and you can hear the joy/intensity when he speaks of these players. This is real. It is not a show or coach speak. He is a genuine guy who- forgive me-but I think is here for a long time. i won’t ruin the interview, so I’ll leave it to you to listen. Well worth your time especially during some ****** Iowa winter weather!!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.. CW.... A few quick thoughts, including one aspect I think you really missed:

- Returns - Was glad to hear you ask this, but the real issue was on punt returns, not k/o returns. No idea where we got our "wave white flag and fair catch" approach....

Agree on the miss. CMC's logic on kick returns and analytics makes perfect sense. The question should have been then- "Why then were we returning it early in the season, like the Iowa game, where it cost us?"
I too was hoping a question would be asked regarding punt returns- "What do we need to do to make this special team a threat?"

Rest of the interview regarding returning OL, DL, and CB was fun.