Cyclones in Emerald Coast Classic next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'd think we'll be matched up with FLA or Oregon, from marketing standpoint, I'm guessing they'd like to see those two teams in the finals. Seems to be a bit better competition this time around.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This got leaked months ago. Apparently the Destin Chamber of Commerce had a poster up (by mistake obviously) advertising these teams in the tournament for 2020.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Brookcyde

Aug 29, 2012
I'd think we'll be matched up with FLA or Oregon, from marketing standpoint, I'm guessing they'd like to see those two teams in the finals. Seems to be a bit better competition this time around.

From a ticket sales/attendance standpoint, they will want Florida and ISU in opposite brackets.

Reactions: heitclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm not sure how the on-campus part of that tournament works, but the bracket portion I'd guess this way:

Oregon vs. North Florida
Iowa State vs. ULM
Florida vs. Alabama A&M
Illinois vs. McNeese State

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I'm not sure how the on-campus part of that tournament works, but the bracket portion I'd guess this way:

Oregon vs. North Florida
Iowa State vs. ULM
Florida vs. Alabama A&M
Illinois vs. McNeese State
I’m pretty sure the high major teams will play each other down there. 2 games per team down there. The high major teams will play the others in campus games before going to the tournament.

Friday games: 2 high major matchups, 2 low major matchups
Saturday games: 2 games total. Winners of the 2 low majors play, losers of the 2 majors play
Sunday: 2 games. Third place game between the losers of the high major games. Championship between winners of the high major games.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m pretty sure the high major teams will play each other down there. 2 games per team down there. The high major teams will play the others in campus games before going to the tournament.

Friday games: 2 high major matchups, 2 low major matchups
Saturday games: 2 games total. Winners of the 2 low majors play, losers of the 2 majors play
Sunday: 2 games. Third place game between the losers of the high major games. Championship between winners of the high major games.

Hey, thanks for the overview. I did a quick search for the 2019 schedule and it looked something to how you describe it, but I was getting confused and decided to just wing it :)

How many tournaments operate with that sort of format? Probably more than I assume, but I don't pay attention to details of a lot of them.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Hey, thanks for the overview. I did a quick search for the 2019 schedule and it looked something to how you describe it, but I was getting confused and decided to just wing it :)

How many tournaments operate with that sort of format? Probably more than I assume, but I don't pay attention to details of a lot of them.
They previously just did first/second round games at home and then the high majors came down to play 2 games each. Last year and this coming year, invited the low majors down so they can enjoy everything too.

I want to say the arena holds like 2,200 people. ISU fans took over that place in 2015.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I want to see ISU in the Great Alaska Shootout! I'd go to that!

It no longer is held. Last one was 2017. No more games in Alaska.

At its height it also hosted a high school tournament at the same time. My Mt. Carmel High School out of San Diego played on it in like 1991.

Reactions: AlaCyclone